• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

School me on Lever Actions (please?)

Nice....like the Curly Maple Model 70's Nice stuff.

They have em...705 bucks on Grabagun!

Pretty steep, I bought my Walnut 336 for 430 dollars BNIB. Thats one hell of an upcharge for wood.

Last edited:
Anyone have any ideas about what a average price is on a Marlin 1895 Cowboy in 45-70 gubmint? In good shape.

Anyone have any ideas about what a average price is on a Marlin 1895 Cowboy in 45-70 gubmint? In good shape.

On a similar note:
Anyone have any ideas about what a average price is on a Marlin .444 is?

We may be barking up the proverbial tree here. I saw a (lightly) used JM-marked Cowboy in 45-70 for $1,195 just a few days ago. I am tempted but I would have to sell/trade something to justify this.

I don't thunk that I have ever seen a rifle in .444. They must be scarce? At least in this part of the country.

Do you reload? 444 marlin is a rare bread of ammo these days.
Yeah seriously. Unless $1.50-$2 per round is cheap to you lol. Of course if it’s just a hunting rifle and you don’t plan to shoot it much, then it’s not a huge deal I suppose.

Go back and read the articles. Somewhere in there, it said 45-70 is for the reloaders, and .444 is a more powerful cartridge for those who don't reload and want to buy their ammo.

If I got it, it would be for bear hunting.

Go back and read the articles. Somewhere in there, it said 45-70 is for the reloaders, and .444 is a more powerful cartridge for those who don't reload and want to buy their ammo.

I just did a little Google Fu on 444 marlin ammo for sale. If you consider $2 to $3.20 PER ROUND to be good for someone that wants to buy their ammo that's all good.

However.....I do understand there are hunters out there that shoot like 20 rounds a year out of their specialized hunting rifles. If that's what you are thinking you would do with a 444 marlin go for it. I'm just saying it's not a good caliber if you actually want to shoot it often. Unless you plan to reload it.....or your independently wealthy.

They're in the same class really. I like the 45/70 because it's a little more versatile with readily available bullets from really light weight to holy shit heavy weight. The 444 seems a little more constricted in the choices, basically pistol weight bullets moving much faster. They being said they do shoot flat. Seems he 45/70 is way more available in factory ammo as well as the components.

I just did a little Google Fu on 444 marlin ammo for sale. If you consider $2 to $3.20 PER ROUND to be good for someone that wants to buy their ammo that's all good.

However.....I do understand there are hunters out there that shoot like 20 rounds a year out of their specialized hunting rifles. If that's what you are thinking you would do with a 444 marlin go for it. I'm just saying it's not a good caliber if you actually want to shoot it often. Unless you plan to reload it.....or your independently wealthy.

I think most people buying factory ammo wouldn't shoot too much 45/70 due to cost and the recoil too. Without loading down, most people give up after a few shots. Eddie Coyle wrote something about the 500 S&W to the effect of Smith and Wesson's dirty little secret is that the guns only handle 2500 or so factory loads before they shoot loose. However 99% of people that buy them will never know that.
I feel like the same is true for 45/70 as far as not being shot a lot (of course the guns hold up for a long time) Even if ammo was 50 cents a shot I doubt the average joe would bring 4-6 times the ammo to the range.

an except from American Rifleman what your favorite cartridge says about you
8. .45-70 Government
You sir, were born a century too late. You find solace in a fat, stubby, fire hydrant of a cartridge that throws projectiles larger than the batteries for the remote control. You have a serious man-crush on Yosemite Sam. When you shave that tiny part of your face that doesn’t sport facial hair, you finish with “Looking good, pardner.” The Cleveland Indians mascot makes you reach for your fetchin’-iron, and you don’t mind carrying enough lead in your cartridge belt to make your pants drop at light speed. Oh, you can also work a lever action with your feet.

This is the only photo on the Internet I could find comparing the .444 and .45-70:

00small15628035.JPG

Oh, there is also a .450 Bushmaster. Not sure if that is for lever rifles, but it gets compared to the 45-70:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8B9wvbLgiCo

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDvUEIL0q64

Bonus photo, since you don't see these together too often:
s-l1600.jpg

45-Raptor-V-450-Busmaster..jpg

So I purchased my first lever action rifle. In 45-70. Choose a bunch of different ammo. Noticed one I picked is 435gr +p. Is a marlin meant for this kind of load? Or am I being a wuss even asking?

45-70 +p? Kiss your shoulder goodbye

On the plus side, how many will you send downrange in a day? I once brought about 50 12ga 2.75" 1oz. slugs to shoot through a pump action shotgun. I sent quite a few of them downrange shooting from a rest because I was sighting in a red dot. I didn't bring any special padding for my shoulder, which would have been a good idea for the sighting in. To cut to the chase, by the time I had shot about 45 of the slugs from the rest and off-hand, I was asking the guy next to me if he would wouldn't mind shooting the last 5 for me.

Back
Top Bottom