School me on Lever Actions (please?)

If you're not going to reload, get a .357 and buy .38 reloads. There are 2 .32 Winchesters. The .32 Winchester Special looks very much like a .30/30 and is a rifle caliber. The .32/20 is also called the .32 Winchester Center Fire and is a much smaller cartridge chambered in both rifles and handguns.

Large Loop Lever installed, I like it. Much more room, will make it nice when wearing gloves in the cold weather. Plus the original lever that came on the rifle was not color case hardened, so this one matches better.
Sweet.

But I pity your first attempt to detail strip it using that exploded parts diagram.

Does your wife know?

I'm wishing for a .38/.357 some day, probably a Henry . I had the chance to shoot a match with a .22lr Henry and was in love.

Almost more fun than an ancient Savage sporter bolt gun. Not as easy to clean .
The wife is "giving it" to me for Christmas. She knows about it.

Its too early and I'm too lazy to read through 5 pages.
Whatever you go with, make sure the barrel twist rate matches the caliber.
I had a Rossi/ Braztech 92 in .357, sold it. Nice looking rifle, case hardened octagonal barrel.
Couldn't get the thing to group decently at 100 yds. Tried different bullet weights, tried different powder charges.
Couldn't do much in the way of aftermarket sights. I found either a marbles or skinner tang and plopped one on there.
Its not drilled for anything that requires a base. Didn't want to ruin it, or run the risk of ruining it by having it drilled.
Best I could do was a 10" spread off a bench. I think its more of a 25 yd rifle.
Rossi uses a 1 in 30 twist across .357, .44 and .45. Must be a throw back to the old blackpowder loads.
I was on the fence about a henry in that caliber. I have the .22, fun little rifle.
I'm now leaning towards the newer case hardened model.
Nothing against brass, I'm sure it mitigates recoil well. Too shiny for me.
Tube feed makes it easier to empty out for me.

Newer marlins......... Well, just because its new in the box, doesn't mean it hasn't been sitting on a shelf in the box for several years. Been leery of them since the remington buyout. Zero experience with m, but I guess the microgroove rifling doesn't mix well with pistol caliber lead, based on what I've read here and there.

Good luck.

In! Henry All Weather In .357!

i-M2VGmv7-L.jpg

Want to get a sling. And maybe a scabbard.

Is there .357 ammo specific for rifle barrels? Bought a box of Fiocchi 142 grain FMJ.

Any Round Nose Flat Point (RNFP) or Flat Point (FP) bullet are fine for the lever action, plenty of lead, semi-jacketed and fully jacketed rounds available in .357. Those polymer tipped Hornady can be pricey

What is the twist rate on the Henry?
My Marlin has a 1 in 16, the same as my Dan Wesson and 158 gr swcgc shoot nicely in both. Not sure of the twist on The Ruger gp100 but it doesn't shoot much of anything well.

GP100 has 1:19. Henry Big Boy rifles in .357 and .45C use a 1:16 twist rate. The Big Boy in .44 Magnum uses a 1:38 twist. I have no idea why the .44 is that slow. I found that in the .44 I can shoot up to 240gr at 2 to 3 MoA, give or take, but 300gr Hornady XTPs did not always impact straight on at 100 yards.

Sweet! You're going to love that rifle. Got the same model but in 44 mag. I had a small section of the finish on the buttstock that started to crack/peel when I was deer hunting in the rain back in October. Henry sent me a whole new buttstock and forend no questions asked (aside from what my shipping address was lol). I got a scope on mine and it shoots pretty well with my reloads.

Is there .357 ammo specific for rifle barrels? Bought a box of Fiocchi 142 grain FMJ.
I've shot a lot of the Fiocchi 357 before I started reloading and it's good ammo but it's not the most potent 357 mag ammo - I think the velocity they claim is exaggerated/not accurate. The federal american eagle 158 gr JSPs were fairly warm and shot well.
You shouldn't have any feeding/ejection issues with JSPs in the Henry. I had a Henry big boy 357 a couple years ago and it shot everything without a hiccup.

Back
Top Bottom