• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

School me on Lever Actions (please?)

Anyone rocking out the .45lc? I'm thinking my next is either a 45 or 357 for the same reasons as coastieron.
Chances are 99% that I will only use it for target plinking but interested in any information on hunting with 45/357....

Those look nice. This guy got what I'm used to seeing in base model Marlin 1894s of current manufacture. I'll try to remember to take a photo of MFS's 1894 next time I'm there.

I'll second that i haven't seen a good 1894 Remlin yet. Which is why I don't have one. I really haven't seen the newer ones which are supposed to be better.....I've been tempted to buy one like I did the others, but still a little tentative on the 1894's

KTP had bunch and I mean a bunch of Remlin 44 mag and 45 colt leftovers about a year ago. They all sold, but not one of them was what I would say good quality. Not sure where they came from and how old they were they were listed as "closeout" guns. Which made me think they were a bunch of fixer uppers sent from the factory bought at cheap money.

I've been looking for both used and new for an 1894 and havent' really run across a winner yet. I'm also kinda tempted to go Henry instead on the pistol calibers, the action is slick, guns are readily available and you don't have to worry about quality issues.

Anyone rocking out the .45lc? I'm thinking my next is either a 45 or 357 for the same reasons as coastieron.
Chances are 99% that I will only use it for target plinking but interested in any information on hunting with 45/357....

When I had my Henry 45LC, I researched hunting loads, and If you reload you can boot up the 45LC to the same speed as 44 magnum, I used 250gr Hornady XTP's loaded with H110. Can get them going 1500 fps. I pushed them back to 1400fps and was satisfied with accuracy. Even though pressure seemed OK, I ran brand new starline brass for these. You could kill a deer with that no problem.

I'll second that i haven't seen a good 1894 Remlin yet. Which is why I don't have one. I really haven't seen the newer ones which are supposed to be better.....I've been tempted to buy one like I did the others, but still a little tentative on the 1894's

KTP had bunch and I mean a bunch of Remlin 44 mag and 45 colt leftovers about a year ago. They all sold, but not one of them was what I would say good quality. Not sure where they came from and how old they were they were listed as "closeout" guns. Which made me think they were a bunch of fixer uppers sent from the factory bought at cheap money.

I've been looking for both used and new for an 1894 and havent' really run across a winner yet. I'm also kinda tempted to go Henry instead on the pistol calibers, the action is slick, guns are readily available and you don't have to worry about quality issues.
You won't be sorry with a Henry. I have 2 of them. A 22lr and a 410 shotgun. The 22 you can't really use a base line for what a pistol cal will be but it speaks to the brand and it is a solid smooth well built rifle for a 22. The 410.....it's based on the 45/70 receiver and have to say the thing is top shelf fit and finish, the action cycles smooth (I shoot hand slung double clays with it very accurately). In full disclosure I had one problem with the gun. It came with a gromet that was too thin to hold the loading tube tightly and popped off a couple times one me the first 200 shells input through it. Called Henry and they OVERNIGHTED me 2 replacement gromets, a hat, a coffee mug, a watch cap, and a keychain along with a letter of apology with an explainatio that they had a bad batch of gromets come from a vendor and i got one that must have snuck through the qualtiy control. My serial number is under 100 so it was an early made one of the new model. Guns been perfect since and I have had it going on 2 years now. They stand by their product. Can't speak to accuracy as it's a shotgun but it patterns fine. If I was in the market for a pistol cal lever it would absolutely be a henry. That's my 2 cents anyway.

When I had my Henry 45LC, I researched hunting loads, and If you reload you can boot up the 45LC to the same speed as 44 magnum, I used 250gr Hornady XTP's loaded with H110. Can get them going 1500 fps. I pushed them back to 1400fps and was satisfied with accuracy. Even though pressure seemed OK, I ran brand new starline brass for these. You could kill a deer with that no problem.
My cousin hunts deer and bear in NH with a 45lc using factory hornady ammo. Taken a few deer and one bear with it all with one shot and done. Never underestimate a 45lc rifle for hunting!

So, for a first lever gun, for fun, .44 Mag or 30-30 or Other?

Both are new calibers for me, so in addition to .22, .357, 9mm, 10mm, .45 ACP, 20 ga, 12 ga, 8mm, .30 Carbine, and 30.06 looks like more inventory.

And IIRC you are also a lefty? Any special considerations? I’m very used to shooting standard rifles lefty.
I'm righty. The ejection port on the Henry is on the right side of the rifle, so if you shoot lefty, brass is gonna hit you. I think a rifle that ejects straight up would suit you better (unless they make left handed lever actions)

Both are new calibers for me, so in addition to .22, .357, 9mm, 10mm, .45 ACP, 20 ga, 12 ga, 8mm, .30 Carbine, and 30.06 looks like more inventory.
I have a Marlin 1894 in 357. Tons of fun to shoot. I'm still not as fast as Chuck Connors but it's not for a lack of trying.

I'm righty. The ejection port on the Henry is on the right side of the rifle, so if you shoot lefty, brass is gonna hit you. I think a rifle that ejects straight up would suit you better (unless they make left handed lever actions)
I am left handed. The ejection into the face is a myth. I'll see if I can find the video of me shooting my 336 left handed.

It was an assumption. Glad a left handed shooter cleared it up.
No worries. I hear it all the time on the trap range. I shoot a Rem 58 (precursor to the 1100) and at least once a month someone will tell me I'm going to get hit in the face with ejecting shells. To which I reply " welp, I've been shooting 2rounds of trap a week for the last 20 years with this gun and haven't been hit yet but you may be right one day. I'll let you know."

So .357 is viable? I’ll have to look at the ballistics out of arifle barrel.

I went with a .357 lever gun because it seems the most versatile cartridge to me. My 1892 is mostly a plinker for me and 357 fits that roll great. I would think it would be plenty effective for deer if I did want to hunt with it.

Ballistics for 357 are great out of longer barrels too. A 16" barrel will give about 300fps more than a trypical 4" revolver for the same load. Ive clocked factory PPU 158gr out of my 16" 1892 in the 1720fps range. If you drop down to a 125gr bullet you can get right up around 2100fps.

Do you reload? Is this going to be a range toy and/or a hunting rifle?

Well based on your inventory I would lean towards 357.

If you have .357, I'd definately go .357..... especially if your just plinking. But there would be no problem killing a deer with it either at typical new england hunting range.

If you want to get in a lower price point gun, the 30-30 / 35 Rem guns are a bit cheaper in the Marlin category. But then you'll need ammo. I got my 336C for just above 400 bucks new. The pistol calibers are going for about 100+ more than that. I also haven't seen a real "good" model 1894 Remlin yet either.

I love my steel 44 Henry. I'm a lefty, and the empties eject 90 degrees and hit about my elbow on my right arm, not an issue. I debated forever about 16 vs 20 in. The 20inch isn't that much longer, and I can shoot 2-3 in groups at 100 yards. Any length negative is offset by 10+1 of 44 magnum. Even the 20 inches is a handy little rifle. Plus, I can't stop smiling when I shoot the stupid thing. I really like the loading tube. People are worried about having their hand out front? Why? Open the action and reload, problem solved. Easy to do 10+1 safely as well. Open action, fill tube, put a round in the open ejection port, close lever, good to go. Not sure why that is some huge mystery either.

I had two issues with the rifle.
1) Action screws were a little loose. I tightened the little one to 20 in-Lb and the bigger to 25 and seems to have solved the issue.
2) It did not like Fiocci ammo, but does just fine with American Eagle 240 gr or Rem 180 gr green and white. The Fiocci has a much much wider flat nose, and was not loading smoothly unless you beat on the lever. I asked Henry and they weren't fond of Fiocci.

357 out of a handgun isn't uncommon for deer out of a handgun. Out of a rifle should be plenty. I got the 44 because I love it out of a revolver, figured it would be awesome out of the Henry. If you want to make a trip to Hopkinton, you are welcome to try it. With a revolver and the Henry I am now planning on reloading.

Open action, fill tube, put a round in the open ejection port, close lever, good to go. Not sure why that is some huge mystery either.

When I load a Henry, I just follow a procedure. I make sure the gun is empty, and then I close the action and lower the hammer on the empty chamber. I think about this every time. At this point, I don't care about muzzling my hand while I load. I never try to load "+1". Whatever fits in the magazine tube is it.

The owner's manual counsels against loading with the action open. Here's what can go wrong, and I learned this the hard way (not like I read the manual before it happened to me). If you open the action and the lever moves from its extreme open position, the carrier is then loose. On a new rifle, this might not happen because the lever might not move at all when the action is all the way open and you flip the rifle over to load it, but when the rifle is slicked up from use, it might move a little. When you flip the rifle over, the carrier can possibly fall all the way up, reaching a position that is impossible when it is actually carrying a round. In that position, the tab on the bottom of the carrier that is supposed to block the magazine tube is not long enough to the job, so the rim of the first round you load might slide underneath it, jamming the carrier in the up position. If it does that, you're locked up. You can try banging on the side of the receiver with your palm to knock it loose, but on the majority of occasions when I've had this happen, I had to loosen things up by removing the lever to get it to drop out. Once I even had to loosen the carrier screw.

You can still load with the action open if you do one of the following:

1. Don't flip the rifle over to load it. Instead, extend the magazine tube while holding the rifle at a slight angle and push the rounds up into the loading port on the magazine tube from below.
2. Flip the rifle over, but before you do, insert a spent casing or a piece of foam or whatnot into the receiver to block the carrier from falling too far. I haven't tried this. The spent casing option might be convenient enough.
3. Flip the rifle over to load, but forcibly hold the lever to its extreme open position while you do.

I suppose you can also load with the muzzle pointed straight up, dropping the rounds in so that each one slams into the previously loaded round. The carrier is not likely to move that far with the gun oriented that way. With flat points or hollow points it's unlikely to set a round off, but you might make a dangerously hot load out of a normal one by causing a little bullet set-back. All I know is that I feel a lot more comfortable muzzling my hand.

Last edited:
no, but do you really wanna put your hand in front of the barrel every time you load it? i love Henry rifles but i can't get past that tube load method, not really concerned about the safety issue, just the look and operation.
This has never bothered me. Open the action......pull the tube up till the port is clear.....drop rounds in the port......insert tube......toss one in the receiver.....close lever........carefully lower the hammer.

Yes you have to pay attention especially when lowering the hammer. Not having a cross bolt safety is a benefit when hunting......cocking the hammer before firing is just instinctive. It's no different than 90% of the muzzle loading rifles we all hunt deer with or the old single shotguns.

No worries. I hear it all the time on the trap range. I shoot a Rem 58 (precursor to the 1100) and at least once a month someone will tell me I'm going to get hit in the face with ejecting shells. To which I reply " welp, I've been shooting 2rounds of trap a week for the last 20 years with this gun and haven't been hit yet but you may be right one day. I'll let you know."
I qualified in Rifle and Automatic Rifle at Infantry School. Lefty. Hot brass down your neck is worse....

So a .357 Carbine may be my next search.

Lots of nice parts for Henry's, Marlin's, and Winchester's here:
Shop All - Page 1 - Ranger Point Precision

Make the loading gate easier to use:
Marlin Loading Gate Spring - Flyweight Fast, Easy, Smooth

Rail with a peep sight for use under a scope:
CloverLeaf Adjustable Peep Sight Picatinny Rail Scope Mount | Marlin and Henry Lever-actions

Adjustable aperture peep sight:
CloverLeaf Adjustable Aperture Peep Sights | Marlin and Henry | Brass, Black, Stainless

They sell fillers for the dovetail when you remove the buckhorn sights.

Quick takedown screw:
Marlin Lever Quick Takedown Screw

Aluminum tube followers:
Marlin Aluminum Magazine Followers, Self Cleaning

Hammer spur extension if your thumb hates the stock hammer:
Hammer Spur Extension for Marlin Firearms

Lot of good stuff here.

I know fillers for rear sights are cheap. After installing peeps on a lot of my rifles I just take the old sight which im never going to use again.

I cut a the end of the base off into aV with a dremel which matches the other side and smooth and finish and cold blue.

Usually with a blank you have to sand down the dovetail and fit. So with this method there is no fitting dovetails or cost. You do trash the rear sight tho.

Attachments

• 92199FA2-97C4-4544-91D8-E6F7113C9D1E.jpeg
    92199FA2-97C4-4544-91D8-E6F7113C9D1E.jpeg
    16.1 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
I qualified in Rifle and Automatic Rifle at Infantry School. Lefty. Hot brass down your neck is worse....

So a .357 Carbine may be my next search.
Was that with the AR type rifle? I don't imagine you are old enough to have qualified on a Garand, or Krag.
I don't have or use AR rifles but I did borrow a friend's for about a year while he was overseas. I recall brass being an issue with it while shooting prone. Of course this was 20+ years ago so my memory is a bit mushy.
I do not regret buying my 357 Marlin. My son has a Henry and we have lots of fun at the range.
100 yards + dueling tree + 2 minute timer = a good afternoon.

Lot of good stuff here.

I know fillers for rear sights are cheap. After installing peeps on a lot of my rifles I just take the old sight which im never going to use again.

I cut a the end of the base off into aV with a dremel which matches the other side and smooth and finish and cold blue.

Usually with a blank you have to sand down the dovetail and fit. So with this method there is no fitting dovetails or cost. You do trash the rear sight tho.
That looks really nice! And I can't imagine wanting to go back to a buckhorn sight after installing the peep sight

M16A1. There was supposed to be a brass deflector insert available but they were seldom used. Now they just have a bump which works fine.

Back
Top Bottom