Scale, Which One?

38ExtraSpecial

NES Member
hey guys.

which scale should i go with? i was thinking i might as well go with a dillon right? but should i got beam or electronic? thanks a lot

depends

If you load one or 2 calibers and are using it to check several
loads for quality, the beam is perfect. If your devleoping lots
of loads, then the digital will be much more convenient..

JimB

I like a beam better than a digital. A RCBS 5-0-5 works well, but a 10-10 is really a nice scale.

A beam scale will be more accurate then an electronic scale (non-lab grade). An electronic scale will be faster and accurate enough for all but the most demanding reloaders.

Electronic scales can be a little squirrelly. I’d suggest that you approach the desired weight from the same side and a ferrite on the power cord is not a bad idea.

I have a beam scale by RCBS, an electronic by Dillon but I use an RCBS electronic made by PACT.

Respectfully,

jkelly

Last edited:
Electric scale is the only way to go. I've done the balance beam scale thing before and it's not much fun. As for accuracy I don't know that I agree the balance beam scale is more accurate. First off if your table isn't completely level then the scale is going to be way off.

When I started reloading last year I figured that an electronic scale would be easier. It was anything but. I bought a PACT scale and had nothing but problems with it. The thing wouldn't calibrate properly and I sent it back to the company, twice, to get it fixed. Still doesn't work and the last time they sent it back, they forgot to send back all the parts.

I also found out that little things like florescent lights can throw it off along with having it plugged in a surge protector with other devices. I finally gave up on it and got an RCBS beam scale. I've never looked back. Reloading is hard enough when starting out without having to worry if your scale is lying to you.

I load on average of 600-1000 rounds a week and have been using the elec. scale for several years and I've found it to be totally accurate. It is of course a Dillon so maybe that has something to do with it?

I load on average of 600-1000 rounds a week and have been using the elec. scale for several years and I've found it to be totally accurate. It is of course a Dillon so maybe that has something to do with it?

My $20 Lee beam scale works great, always has been accurate and reliable.

LEE Precision make great reloading supplies! now where is my sponsorship[grin]

My $20 Lee beam scale works great, always has been accurate and reliable.

LEE Precision make great reloading supplies! now where is my sponsorship[grin]

THIS IS THE FUNNIEST SH** I'VE HEARD ALL DAY LONG.... Do you really have that scale as well?

Actually though my beam scale was a Lee and it did work great. And, it only cost about $12.

I have been reloading for almost 30 years and am also a "gadget freak". I have replaced much of my reloading equipment many times over, except the cheap-o Lyman beam scale I got with my first reloading kit. Why? Because it works too well to replace. I even bought another of these cheap scales used in case the original fails me. For a new scale I would by the cheap Dillon beam scale for about $50.

THIS IS THE FUNNIEST SH** I'VE HEARD ALL DAY LONG.... Do you really have that scale as well?

Actually though my beam scale was a Lee and it did work great. And, it only cost about $12.

I use the Lee scale, and haven't had any issues with it. It's easy to use, and accurate.

i bought a FA Micro Digi scale from Miway on sale for $30..
beleive it or not, its pretty good but you need to make sure you wipe the batteries down with Alcohol which was no in the instructions. Its a small scale but will read up to 1k grain or something like that.

As for accuracy I don't know that I agree the balance beam scale is more accurate. First off if your table isn't completely level then the scale is going to be way off.---PistolPete
In my experience beam scales usually have an adjustment foot that offsets the tilt in table. Beam scales are calibrated for the exact weight you wish to throw. Non lab grade electronic scales are usually calibrated at two points and are not linear between those points. When used for reloading you are not likely to be throwing a weight between the two calibration points anyway.

Due to the characteristics of the electronics if you don’t approach the desired weight from the same side you are likely to throw two close but different weights for the same scale reading. Your inexpensive beam scale can be used to check your inexpensive electronic scale for this.

If you plug your scale into a wall outlet, noise on the power lines can be passed to the electronics and cause error in the scales measurement (a ferrite helps). If you use batteries you get the cleanest power source for the electronics but weak batteries with low voltage conditions can cause errors in the scale’s measurements.

I could be wrong but in my opinion, in the world of low cost measuring devices, beam scales are the most accurate and by far the slowest.

That said I use an RCBS/PACT electronic scale because it’s fast and accurate enough for my needs. I’m not a bench rest shooter and don’t measure my groups in 1/100, 1/1,000 or 1/10,000 of an inch.

I load on average of 600-1000 rounds a week and have been using the elec. scale for several years and I've found it to be totally accurate.---PistolPete
I have a Dillon electronic scale (I don't kow who makes it maybe PACT) which I’ve been keeping in storage for when my RCBS/PACT scale finally dies (it’s over 10 years old, I think), but I see no difference in the two. “Totally” of course is subjective.

Respectfully,

jkelly

Everything I have is LEE, and if its not, then LEE doesn't make it. I am surrounded by pot metal and plastic [grin]

I use a Dillon Terminator digital scale.BY FAR the fastest and accurate enough at 1/100th of a grain for your needs.If your on a budget buy a Cabela's digital scale usually on sale for about $70.00 and just the same as any other.A friend of mine has had one for 6 years and still works perfect.

boy this makes for a tough choice... i just might have to go with the beam scale... the electronic seems pretty easy but if i'm using a powder measure and only checking every 10 throws or something i think i can deal with using the beam.

maybe i'll go with the electronic someday.

a two more weeks for the reloading seminar i can't wait[smile]

now i just need my dillon[frown]

I'll just add this: in my case, the scale is just used to check my throws from the measure. I'll check it once before I start and maybe every 200 or so rounds. Unless you are a world-class benchrest handloader, you don't need to weigh every charge.

Any scale will work.

boy this makes for a tough choice... i just might have to go with the beam scale... the electronic seems pretty easy but if i'm using a powder measure and only checking every 10 throws or something i think i can deal with using the beam.---MJS
What ever scale you decide to get be smart and buy a Weight Check set. That's a group of weights in grains so that you can verify your scale is "on".

With a beam scale you zero the scale normally, set your scale for the desired throw weight add the Weight Check weights for the desired throw weight. This will let you know if the scale is correct or not.

For an electronic scale, like mine, you do your normal calibration, often at 0 grams, 20 grams, 50 grams and 70 grams, and then add the powder pan and zero the scale. Then you add the Weight Check weights for the desired throw weight and see what you scale says. (this is actually four check points rather then the two I stated earlier).

I always check my scale with the Weight Check weights before loading.

Respectfully,

jkelly

Back
Top Bottom