• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Which Powder Do You Use For Multiple Calibers?

n320 for pistol and Varget for rifle. I have loads worked up for every caliber I shoot. Those are the stockpile powders.

However, I like to play with a bunch of other powders to optimize results or process. For example, Varget runs terribly inconsistent through my Dillon. So I save it for the hand measured 223 long-range rifle rounds. But for 223 55g 3-gun hoser rounds, I use 8208xbr through the Dillon. It meters beautifully and performance out to 300 yards is indistinguishable from my 69g Varget loads.

I use Unique the most for pistol, shotgun, and cast rifle.
4895 is a good all around rifle powder.
I have used Unique for just all pistol calibers (9mm, 38 SPL, 357, 45 ACP, 44 Mag). I've even used it for Cast boolits in my rifles at a lower velocity (.308, 30-06, 7.62x39).

However, that is mainly because years ago I bought a keg of that powder because I heard it could be used in this way. Now that I am a bit older and more experienced I would not do that again. Unique is a dirty powder. It can be used just about anywhere and there are recipes for it all over the place, but it will be used when I cannot find anything else from now on honestly. I use HP38 now for pistol whenever I can or Bullseye. I do not have a go to for rifle but based on this thread I will most likely start using Varget. Thank you NES community for that information. :)
I'd be happy to take that dirty Unique off your hands.

n320 for pistol and Varget for rifle. I have loads worked up for every caliber I shoot. Those are the stockpile powders.

However, I like to play with a bunch of other powders to optimize results or process. For example, Varget runs terribly inconsistent through my Dillon. So I save it for the hand measured 223 long-range rifle rounds. But for 223 55g 3-gun hoser rounds, I use 8208xbr through the Dillon. It meters beautifully and performance out to 300 yards is indistinguishable from my 69g Varget loads.
For all intensive purposes
223-8mm H4895 has been my go to , always “good” results and has a broad range including reduced loads per manufactures directions. Varget is a close 2nd

Another good powder I have had a huge selction for use is trailboss- pistol/rifle cast , jacketed

For pistol my go to tends to be Clays
I will admit im loading primary target ammo
2400 comes into play also

For all intensive purposes
223-8mm H4895 has been my go to , always “good” results and has a broad range including reduced loads per manufactures directions. Varget is a close 2nd

Another good powder I have had a huge selction for use is trailboss- pistol/rifle cast , jacketed

For pistol my go to tends to be Clays
I will admit im loading primary target ammo
2400 comes into play also
For my intent and purpose, 231 or AA#5 for non-magnum pistol cartridges.

Dude, nice. Looking at my reloading manual, I noticed Varget was used for a lot of calibers. No wonder it is so hard to find, LOL.
I specifically don’t load a lot of different calibers with Varget for that exact reason even though I have plenty. I use it in 30-06, .308 and .223 mainly for certain loads, but also use H4895 in 30-06, .308 and Win748 in .223 to spread the love to different weight projectiles and rifle gas systems. Whole lot of variables out there.

I do think H4895 is catching up on Varget with usefulness in my assortment of rifles.

I've used Shooter's World Auto Pistol (Lovex D036) in 9mm, 38 special, 357 magnum, 44 magnum, and 45 Colt. Haven't tried it in 45 ACP, but I'm sure it's good for it. It's too fast for good 357 magnum and 44 magnum loads, but if you're out of your favorite handgun magnum powder, you can load some rounds up for plinking.

HPC-18
IMR 4064
Titegroup
Powerpistol
700X
BR-5
H335
CFE BLK
ACCURATE #5
WC844
Black powder
and a couple of others. All of the above can be loaded in multiple calibers with good results.

For rifle I would have to say Win 748 . Ive run it in .223 , 30-06 for my M1 , .308 Win , 243 , and even 8mm Mauser. 748 is not an exceptional powder for any single caliber, but it's a "good" powder for so many calibers. It's a fine ball powder so it also meters like a DREAM. Great powder to be well stocked during gun panics when the top popular powders dissapear off the shelves.

A lot of guys love Unique, and it is a great performing powder but it's flakey and meters like $hit ! NOT one of my Favs.

so I am slowly getting my plan together, I will be reloading two pistol/revolver cartridges to start 9mm for a 4" barrel and .44mag out of a 6" barrel, is there a clean burning powder that meters well that would work well for both or would I be better served with two separate powders?

so I am slowly getting my plan together, I will be reloading two pistol/revolver cartridges to start 9mm for a 4" barrel and .44mag out of a 6" barrel, is there a clean burning powder that meters well that would work well for both or would I be better served with two separate powders?
Really dependent on your end use, bullet weights , expectations

9mm would probably be a plated 124g for target, .44 I would like to develop some loads for hunting
The only powder that comes to mind for both is Unique ? Although it maybe limitted for optimum use in one or the other.
Badically your going to have to overlap powder lists from each cartridge/bullet weight and see if there is a powder that gets you close to what you need for both.
Pistol loading is small powder charges so why “settle” on one powder.
Find what fits your needs and stock up.

I shoot/load 98% cast loads in pistol and clays covers my needs . I dont load much of 9 any more and sold off my 44 20 years ago. Back then seems everyone was loading bullseye. ?
So over lap and see whats available

Last edited:
Silhouette is great in 9mm - very clean at the higher loads
Data only shows one load in 44 - probably not suitable for the low load density.

Generally speaking, powders that are suitable for 9mm are not going to be very suitable for .44 Mag, and vice versa.
Sort of like choosing one universal fuel for both an economy sedan and a race car; you MAY find a fuel that could be used by both but it won't be optimal for both.

Back
Top Bottom