Which 38/357 magnum dies?

steve8140

NES Member
Got a new lever gun on the way and am getting the tools together to start loading.

Which 38/357 magnum dies should I consider from my Dillon 650?

I like the idea of seating and crimping in different dies and have the spot for it but I’m open to anything. Dillon dies are basically non existent currently unless I find some used.

Tell me your favorite brand, color, or knurled knob for your pleasure.

For roll crimped cartridges I like RCBS cowboy dies. Or regular RCBS/Lyman. The Dillon do more of a step/shoulder crimp which isn’t as aesthetically pleasant. That’s about it though.

I have Lee , RCBS and Redding. All get the job done as intended. You can run LEE pistol dies in a Dillon , the only potential issue is you might need to position the die locking nut underneath the Dillon die plate to obtain adequate sizing die depth. Me personally i like to crimp as a separate operation. I like the additional LEE factory crimp dies . If you buy the LEE deluxe die sets you get the additional FCD.

Last edited:
Got a new lever gun on the way and am getting the tools together to start loading.

Which 38/357 magnum dies should I consider from my Dillon 650?

I like the idea of seating and crimping in different dies and have the spot for it but I’m open to anything. Dillon dies are basically non existent currently unless I find some used.

Tell me your favorite brand, color, or knurled knob for your pleasure.

Theres a 10-14 week backorder after 9/1/22 for Dillon dies. Found it on the website.

3 die rcbs cowboy carbide dies are in stock on the rcbs website. Which I might order a set right now because I don't think I can live without them.

Theres a 10-14 week backorder after 9/1/22 for Dillon dies. Found it on the website.

3 die rcbs cowboy carbide dies are in stock on the rcbs website. Which I might order a set right now because I don't think I can live without them.
My coworker has been waiting for a set of 9mm Dillon dies that have been on backorder for 10 months ! Dillon claims a "supplier issue" with carbide.

Yep. Better off with a different set maybe?
Website says-

Carbide Die Orders Placed AFTER 9/1/2022:

• 9mm 42+ weeks

He's not a large volume shooter, ive been loaning him my LEE dies to help him keep loading. I dont get Dillons ongoing "supplier carbide" excuse now. I could understand this claim a year ago , but the company i work for we deal in carbide rod on a daily basis and its available no problem.

I mix all my dies, I am not a fan of one does it all. Not that I don't believe they can, but some manufacturers make specific dies that are better for that one operation. I also don't like seating and crimping in one die.

I have a combination of Lee, Redding, Dillon and others.

Anyway ... unless Dillon are far superior to other manufacturers, I would not wait 10 months for them.

PS: I also started looking for 357 dies to reload 357 Maximum. Not sure what I will buy.

Last edited:
I have Lee , RCBS and Redding. All get the job done as intended. You can run LEE pistol dies in a Dillon , the only potential issue is you might need to position the die locking nut underneath the Dillon die plate to obtain adequate sizing die depth. Me personally i like to crimp as a separate operation. I like the additional LEE factory crimp dies . If you buy the LEE deluxe die sets you get the additional FCD.
This. I run a LEE U sizing die for 9mm. I have to put the locking nut underneath. No big deal.

I mix all my dies, I am not a fan of one does it all. Not that I don't believe they can, but some manufacturers make specific dies that are better for that one operation. I also don't like seating and crimping in one die.

I have a combination of Lee, Redding, Dillon and others.

Anyway ... unless Dillon are far superior to other manufacturers, I would not wait 10 months for them.

PS: I also started looking for 357 dies to reload 357 Maximum. Not sure what I will buy.
Do you have 357 magnum dies?
I haven’t tested it for this specific use but I’ve done it with 38/357.
Make a washer that’s the thickness of the difference in case length and use it as a spacer under the lock ring.

I have an old set of 38/357 that had a washer in the case for that purpose. You could set your locking ring and never have to move the sizer or expander dies. Just slap the washer in between.

Do you have 357 magnum dies?
I haven’t tested it for this specific use but I’ve done it with 38/357.
Make a washer that’s the thickness of the difference in case length and use it as a spacer under the lock ring.

I have an old set of 38/357 that had a washer in the case for that purpose. You could set your locking ring and never have to move the sizer or expander dies. Just slap the washer in between.
I don't currently reload 38/357. I was thinking of just having the dies a little further out.

Back
Top Bottom