• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Which Powder Do You Use For Multiple Calibers?

Generally speaking, powders that are suitable for 9mm are not going to be very suitable for .44 Mag, and vice versa.
Sort of like choosing one universal fuel for both an economy sedan and a race car; you MAY find a fuel that could be used by both but it won't be optimal for both.
Thank you, what I needed to know, I know there isn't a universal powder but wasn't sure if something like Titegroup or Power Pistol would work. doing more reading and some folks seem to think W296 was a good powder for .44 still trying to pick out my press or find a used one at reasonable price so I think I'll pick up a reloading manual like Speer or Barnes and do some reading before I willy nilly grab powder when I see it

Yes, W296 (or the identical H-110) is an excellent choice for 44 Mag (and other magnum cartridges) and would probably be my first choice to keep on hand for such, based on it's wide spread usage, availability (during "normal" times, anyway) and available load data. It's a classic.
TiteGroup is a very fast powder, and while Hodgdon does list load data for .44 Mag you'll notice the inefficiency resulting in low velocities. Due to its "density" it's also very easy to double-charge using TiteGroup so that's something a person must be very watchful for. While a person should always reload using good observational habits to prevent such a thing from happening, it's a powder that is responsible for many blown-up guns over the years.
As for Power Pistol, I can't offer any advice since I have no experience with it.
Giving this topic a little more thought; if you're planning to shoot cast bullets in the .44 Mag you COULD use 700-X for those (and many other) cartridges. It's a flexible powder and I have successfully used it in 9mm, .38 Spl, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, .41 Mag and .45 Colt. Hodgdon lists data for .44 Mag, but again you won't get very high velocities from it in that cartridge. It also doesn't meter very well from many powder measures.

Thank you, what I needed to know, I know there isn't a universal powder but wasn't sure if something like Titegroup or Power Pistol would work. doing more reading and some folks seem to think W296 was a good powder for .44 still trying to pick out my press or find a used one at reasonable price so I think I'll pick up a reloading manual like Speer or Barnes and do some reading before I willy nilly grab powder when I see it
The one powder system does not work well.
There are a few standards that should perform well in XYZ
Right now with how availability is get a loading manual or look up your cal and bullet manufacture and see what powder is available.

I know there isn't a universal powder
Well, there is, but it isn't. Universal is a good powder, but it isn't universal. :)

Need a fast, medium, and slow powder to cover all handgun calibers. I try to get by without stocking a fast powder but sometimes I would prefer one for a given application where I am making do with a medium rate powder.

Power pistol would definitely work in both 9 and 44 mag. It will get you some decent velocities (and muzzle flash) but not like H110/W296. PP is a very accurate powder in 9mm.

Back
Top Bottom