Is there a good reloading scale with 0.01/0.02gn accuracy?

paul73

NES Member
I just wonder if anybody knows of a reasonably good model, preferably under $200 in price.

Right now i use the one i got with the dillon - not exactly cheap - a $150 scale with 0.1gn accuracy

But i can tell this thing has a tendency to drift a bit - like a 0.1/0.2gn amount when you repeatedly remeasure same shell with a powder drop multiple times.
If you then reset it to 0, weight up the shell again - it is fixed, but, it is a hassle. I can of course try to escalate and get it replaced, but, dunno if it is worth the fight.

A lot of scales when i read reviews have similar issues, it seems. So i guess it will not hurt to ask about it here, who knows. realistically even the 0.05gn accuracy would probably be enough, as i have a feel this dillon one has a practical accuracy of 0.2gn most likely.

Last edited:
Just so I'm clear; you want a reloading scale that measures down to 1 or 2 hundredths of a grain?
Notvreally sure why you'd want one, but I'm sure there are scientific scales that would fit your criteria.

I think your asking for something your not going to get. I have an RCBS Charge master and a PACT, the PACT is consistently 1/10gr lower than the RCBS. Last night I was loading 25.7gr Varget, the charge master consistently threw 25.7gr, just for shits and giggles I weighed them on the pact and they ranged from 27.6 to 27.8

One thing, and I don't now how big a deal it is but I have read that fluorescent lighting can sometimes throw scales off. Haven't experienced it myself but I did read somewhere.

fluorescent lighting can sometimes throw scales off
huh, that would be peculiar.
the scales with 0.01gn accuracy do exist, and there is plenty of them even on amazon, but, i feel no desire to explore that field myself.

the one i have now mostly works ok, and i figured it out by now how to operate it so it would be showing correct data, so, it will probably remain as is.
still, progress goes on, and if there is anything new and great out there - it would be nice to learn about it.

Once you go beyond the .1 accuracy, you are taking a huge step out of the $200 range.
The different readings you are getting are probably more to do with the surroundings of the scale instead of the scale itself.

Budget and the accuracy that you strive for do not go hand in hand.

Once you go beyond the .1 accuracy, you are taking a huge step out of the $200 range.
The different readings you are getting are probably more to do with the surroundings of the scale instead of the scale itself.

Budget and the accuracy that you strive for do not go hand in hand.
i was kinda hoping for a chinese knock-off from some $1000+ scale, really. but, if we are not there yet, it is ok.
like this, or similar:
View: https://www.amazon.com/Smart-Weigh-GEM20-Precision-Milligram/dp/B00ESHDGOI

that one is 20g, not enough, but there are some 50g models and that would work. a ton of them drops out for a 'milligram scale' search.

i was kinda hoping for a chinese knock-off from some $1000+ scale, really. but, if we are not there yet, it is ok.
like this, or similar:
View: https://www.amazon.com/Smart-Weigh-GEM20-Precision-Milligram/dp/B00ESHDGOI

that one is 20g, not enough, but there are some 50g models and that would work. a ton of them drops out for a 'milligram scale' search.
The problem with any knockoff of an expensive item is that you get what you pay for. When it comes to a scale, I wouldn't want any shortcuts to be taken. Especially if you want repeatability AND accuracy.

I use a RCBS Chargemaster, and even with calibrating that, and having good readings, I STILL dump a charge on a beam scale every now and again to double check my weight. I think I would live in fear if I was running a $22 digital scale.

the constant drift and re-zero is a fact of life on the low(er) end scales. The sensors they use drift.

You can get something like the A&D EJ series, like the 123 or 54D2. All the precision guys seem
to gravitate toward the FX-120i ($470 from ceproducts)

I'm wondering if there are 700,000 granules of powder in a pound? [laugh]

Most of my reloading is shotgun, where minor differences in powder charge are not noticed. I would think that 1/100 grain resolution would not really be that important. At that level of persnicketiness, would not variation in bullet weight, case volume, and primer efficiency overshadow a 0.01 grain difference in charge weight?

I'd never head of the florescent light thing, but I guess the magnetic/electric fields generated by the ballast might do it.

At that level of weight detection, I'd say that humidity would be more of a factor, with the powder absorbing moisture from the air.

bullet weight, case volume, and primer efficiency overshadow a 0.01 grain difference in charge weight?
the thing here is not as much about the actual accuracy as much about that specific issue of the sensor drift explained in post #12.
keeping some constant weight on the scale - like the tin measuring cup - reduces drift somewhat, as plate remains preloaded a bit, but over time drift returns.
i suspected first it was a defect of the scale, but, not really, it seems to be a feature, not a bug. and that drift can go up to a half of grain, and it is impactful.

as i understand, scales with milligram precision use different kind of sensors and have much reduced drift compared to majority of 0.1g scales. that is all, really.

like this, or similar:

A chinese nock off even if it went to .0X the accuracy would still be closer to a decent .x scale
Oh and you want to have some fun.
Take a powder charge and weigh it today.
Seal it up the best you can and weigh it sometime next spring
Or grab your powder trickle and see if you can trip up your scales.
Fun stuff
Or let your scale warm up , calibrate it and let it go

Beware ALL electronic scales.

The standard 10-10 or 5-0-5 balance scales have set all world records that are not likely to be surpassed.
My 505 drifts- from the draft in my basement.
I have a older reading scale that looks like the 505 , sadly the contacts are a bit oxidized from previous owner storing it poorly

My 505 drifts- from the draft in my basement.
I have a older reading scale that looks like the 505 , sadly the contacts are a bit oxidized from previous owner storing it poorly
i did this test other day - found 2 same shells, exactly same weight. loaded 25.4gn into one, zeroed scale on empty one, started weighting the loaded one - first 2 tries gave correct weight, then it gave 25.3, then 25.2, then set to 25.1 and remained there for every next try.

then i reset it to 0 when empty, weight the empty shell, zero with it on the plate - weight the loaded one again - see the correct 25.4 again. it is not a ton of a drift but it is annoying.
it is like that with an empty plate, with preloaded plate it goes +- 0.2gn usually which is acceptable. but tin moves on the plate and upsets balance too.

and that is $150 dillon scale which is not a $20 amazon crap.

i did this test other day - found 2 same shells, exactly same weight. loaded 25.4gn into one, zeroed scale on empty one, started weighting the loaded one - first 2 tries gave correct weight, then it gave 25.3, then 25.2, then set to 25.1 and remained there for every next try.

then i reset it to 0 when empty, weight the empty shell, zero with it on the plate - weight the loaded one again - see the correct 25.4 again. it is not a ton of a drift but it is annoying.
it is like that with an empty plate, with preloaded plate it goes +- 0.2gn usually which is acceptable. but tin moves on the plate and upsets balance too.

and that is $150 dillon scale which is not a $20 amazon crap.
Eh , probably is a $20 scale under that Dillon tag?

I just got an email from Creedmoor Sports about a digital scale they are selling that is good down to 2/100ths of a grain. No idea how much $

To be honest I feel burned enough by paying $150 for Dillon scale to pay $300 to an another brand with no reviews.

Dillon just did today again readings from 25.6 back to 25.1 and I cannot know now if it was powder drop issue or a scale lie. The chrono during shooting will tell the truth, of course. But, it sucks.

To be honest I feel burned enough by paying $150 for Dillon scale to pay $300 to an another brand with no reviews.

Dillon just did today again readings from 25.6 back to 25.1 and I cannot know now if it was powder drop issue or a scale lie. The chrono during shooting will tell the truth, of course. But, it sucks.
Happen to have any lee volume dippers?
If not you can use empty pistol cases and glue some dowels for handles.
For haha’s make a dipper that gets you your target weight.
Then dip and weigh several “volume” charges. See what they weigh.
Load them as you go then put them to the crony and target test.

Is the scale the D terminator?
Are you running on Batts or the AC ?adapter. If running on the adapter are Batts in the unit?

If you turn on your scale and let it warm up a bit say 2 min and weight your check weight what do you get?

Also maybe check the outlet you may have tour DC adapter in?

I gave up on my Hornady Batt powered scale for similar reasons of drift and weird accuracy issues

Last edited:
I started with the Dillon scale. And learned it does drift.

The drifting does seem to be minimized after warming up. And in a call to them they mentioned fluorescent lights as an issue.

Who knew?

One thing, and I don't now how big a deal it is but I have read that fluorescent lighting can sometimes throw scales off. Haven't experienced it myself but I did read somewhere.
I have had a tarp cause my scale to go off with the static electricity. I'm sure if you had sheet plastic covering your bench it would do the same.

I have a cheap electronic scale I use to get the measure close, then check with 10/10.
I do not trust any electronic to be accurate. I am only shooting to 200 yards, so :rolleyes:

I calibrate balances and have seen a lot of issues.

Balances will drift with time, mostly from temperature being the electronics warming up or the environment. Most balance use a resistive strain gauge that is sensitive to temperature.

When I'm working on any balance I place a weight that's almost the full range on it for 15 minutes.

To actually see if it's the balance drifting do 10 weighings with a weight at about 5% of it's full scale. The standard deviation should equal less than 1 count of its resolution.

If not there's an environmental issue. Vibrations traveling to the balance, drafts, temperature fluctuations are the most common.

I have seen balances act up randomly. Usually it's because of something on the line voltage creating noise. LED lights are great for that.

I calibrate anything from 60 kg with 0.5 g resolution down to 5 g microanalytical balances with 0.000001 g resolution.

Rule of thumb balances are pretty much good to 2 to 4 counts of resolution for accuracy with temp compensation turned on and an adjustment down every hour.

Back
Top Bottom