reloading 8.15x46r

I had to look that one up. It appears to be very similar to the 32/40. I found load data online. It seems to use cast bullets and 2400, SR4759(discontinued) and AA5744. I don't load that caliber. The closest I come is the 38/55 and it does better with IMR4227. In my experience, only the big (44 and 45) caliber cartridges do better with SR4759 and AA5744.

Last edited:
Do you have brass? Graf is out of stock. Maybe Buffalo Arms. It can be made out of 30/30 which is pretty common. If it can be made out of 30/30, I guess it could also be made out of 25/35, 32 Special, 32/40, 38/55 or 375 Win if you happen to have any of those.

twenty years ago place in Montana sold me 500 new pieces for hundred bucks.. then he said he made a boo boo they were dollar apiece but it was his error so dont worry about it..

It seems like you found a good load many years ago. Are you just trying to find an alternative in case that powder becomes unavailable? I'd look at powders that work well in other cast bullet cartridges. Perhaps IMR4198 or 3031, Reloader7, or Unique for a very mild load. I haven't had good luck with 5744 in calibers that small but it's worth a try.

I found four pounds of imr4227 so I am set.. I never was able to find a min-max for 4227 and I dont want to ruin a great rifle. Had a dear friend that passed but we shot together and he always used 13.0 in his Martinni so I always kept mine there. He had been shooting his for 40 years with no problems so I said ok there I am. But was wondering and needed to be mentally assured. My thanks again

Took out my Schutzen, fired 20 rounds of 8.15x46r at 100 yrds, had a 1 5/8 inch group. Iron sights off a rest, loaded 13.3 grs imr4227 180 bullet. Not to shabby, thanks for every ones help

That was for 20 shots? I'd call that very good shooting and say that consistency is as close to perfect as you're likely to get.

That was for 20 shots? I'd call that very good shooting and say that consistency is as close to perfect as you're likely to get.
I agree, I put a wad of cotton over the powder, just to keep it next to primer. When I checked spotting scope after first three shots I was like dang..Think I would have been happy with two inch group but it stayed there. I was very much impressed for a 1890 rifle

Back
Top Bottom