• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Which Powder Do You Use For Multiple Calibers?

Broc

NES Member
A lot of powders work with several calibers - maybe not great, maybe great, maybe just OK - but the reloading data is out there.

I am curious, which powders do you guys use the most for multiple calibers?

For how many different calibers?

For rifle VARGET (if you can get it), IMR4895, IMR4064 for me are the big ones.

For pistol I can load practically any non-magnum with Win 231 / HP38, it's my go-to.

I think I'm up to 10 or 12 total cartridges now.

Last edited:

For pistol I can load practically any non-magnum with Win 231 / HP38, it's my go-to.

I think I'm up to 9 or 10 total cartridges now.

I'd second that if varget wasnt unobtanium.......

A2520 will cover an impressive range of calibers from 62gr and heavier 556 up through 7.62x51 and others......A4064 will cover most/many of what 2520 wont do

They're not my first choices but they work well, yield consistent results, have very good load data avail for them, have been generally avail mostly and are cheaper than competition

IMR-4064 and Trailboss - 7.5x55 swiss, 30-30, and 30-06.
H110/W296 - 30 carbine and 44 mag.

2400 is dedicated for 357 mag and N320 is dedicated for 9mm.

I think I'm up to 9 or 10 total cartridges now.

That's almost exactly what I use too...

Rifle - Primarily IMR4895 and IMR4064 with IMR3031 on occasion as well.

Pistol - W231/HP38 covers everything I load. I haven't gotten into loading any magnums yet so W231/HP38 works just fine.

A lot of powders work with several calibers - maybe not great, maybe great, maybe just OK - but the reloading data is out there.

I am curious, which powders do you guys use the most for multiple calibers?

For how many different calibers?
Varget for:
30-06 Garand loads
6.5 ManBun
7.5x55 Swiss
6.5x55
7.5x54R
223 target loads sometimes, though I prefer Benchmark for this.

I have used Unique for just all pistol calibers (9mm, 38 SPL, 357, 45 ACP, 44 Mag). I've even used it for Cast boolits in my rifles at a lower velocity (.308, 30-06, 7.62x39).

However, that is mainly because years ago I bought a keg of that powder because I heard it could be used in this way. Now that I am a bit older and more experienced I would not do that again. Unique is a dirty powder. It can be used just about anywhere and there are recipes for it all over the place, but it will be used when I cannot find anything else from now on honestly. I use HP38 now for pistol whenever I can or Bullseye. I do not have a go to for rifle but based on this thread I will most likely start using Varget. Thank you NES community for that information. :)

Varget for:
30-06 Garand loads
6.5 ManBun
7.5x55 Swiss
6.5x55
7.5x54R
223 target loads sometimes, though I prefer Benchmark for this.
Dude, nice. Looking at my reloading manual, I noticed Varget was used for a lot of calibers. No wonder it is so hard to find, LOL.

I have used Unique for just all pistol calibers (9mm, 38 SPL, 357, 45 ACP, 44 Mag). I've even used it for Cast boolits in my rifles at a lower velocity (.308, 30-06, 7.62x39).

However, that is mainly because years ago I bought a keg of that powder because I heard it could be used in this way. Now that I am a bit older and more experienced I would not do that again. Unique is a dirty powder. It can be used just about anywhere and there are recipes for it all over the place, but it will be used when I cannot find anything else from now on honestly. I use HP38 now for pistol whenever I can or Bullseye. I do not have a go to for rifle but based on this thread I will most likely start using Varget. Thank you NES community for that information. :)

I started with Unique for my 9mm loads. I found it to be very dirty, and switched to TiteGroup.

Dude, nice. Looking at my reloading manual, I noticed Varget was used for a lot of calibers. No wonder it is so hard to find, LOL.
Help from NES friends took the edge off of Varget supply worries.

I did start loading 308 with 2520 based on great results, availability, cheaper price, and the ability to lighten my Varget demand. With the Bula M14 I built, shot 100 in slow prone and 98 in rapids using the 2520 loads at Camp Perry Nationals.

So it's not just about the skinflinting. ;)

Help from NES friends took the edge off of Varget supply worries.

I did start loading 308 with 2520 based on great results, availability, cheaper price, and the ability to lighten my Varget demand. With the Bula M14 I built, shot 100 in slow prone and 98 in rapids using the 2520 loads at Camp Perry Nationals.

So it's not just about the skinflinting. ;)

So it's not just about the skinflinting.

Channeling @drgrant
faggotry.jpg

I tried to get all my non-magnum pistol calibers under Win-231 but my Tite-group 9mm load works so good why change it. I haven't had much luck with 231 in the .44 special but it has shined in the 44WCF for me.

I tried to get all my non-magnum pistol calibers under Win-231 but my Tite-group 9mm load works so good why change it. I haven't had much luck with 231 in the .44 special but it has shined in the 44WCF for me.

Unless you're one of those guys that insists on loading up mouse farts for everything, you won't like W231 in 9mm anyways, it doesn't scale out high enough to even get them going as fast as
factory ammo would.

Unless you're one of those guys that insists on loading up mouse farts for everything, you won't like W231 in 9mm anyways, it doesn't scale out high enough to even get them going as fast as
factory ammo would.
Not me, mouse farts not fun! One 10mm load I had was just shy of 10 grains of Blue Dot, that was a fun one to shoot.

231 for 380
Silhouette for 38/357, 9, 45

Why the difference for 380? Because 380 takes so little (~3gn) it takes a while to get rid of on hand stock.

Back
Top Bottom