Saiga 5.45x39 Rifle Mod Thread

Is it a easy conversion? This will be the first time I will attempt to do anything like this and dont wanna mess it up. Also, I read some post about how these ammo are corrosive, what is the best way to clean after shooting?

Last edited:
This thread is all about how easy the basic conversion is. Read it, watch the videos linked in it, and have fun.

Is it a easy conversion? This will be the first time I will attempt to do anything like this and dont wanna mess it up. Also, I read some post about how these ammo are corrosive, what is the best way to clean after shooting?

The canned milsurp ammo I got was very corrosive, was showing signs of rust within a couple hours after shooting.

What I should have done (and usually do) is bring Windex, a cleaning rod and some patches to the range. After shooting, spray Windex into/on the bore & chamber, gas tube, gas piston and bolt face. Run a couple patches through the bore and gas tube, swab off gas piston and bolt face. That should be enough to wash away the salts from the ammo that are causing the problem. Then, take it home and clean it however you normally would.

There are some bore cleaners that also take care of corrosives, but since I can never remember which ones those are, I grab Windex.

<ETA> Flintoid is right - Windex w/Ammonia.

Last edited:
Thanx KMM696, So does it depend on the ammo or is it all? Im gonna buy the ammo thats comes with the deal at MFL im guessing those are corrosive as well

windex works good. Even better: windex + ammonia (which is the windex that looks like piss). Speaking of piss- that has ammonia in it, if no one is looking and you're cheap... why not? Don't judge.

You're looking for a base here. Because salts techinically act as a pH dropper- the corrosion shows up when pH drops in water condensation. A base will raise the pH and neutralize the salts. Ammonia = base. Soap = base.

I use palmolive and water in a drinking water bottle. Shake that shit up before going to the range, let it sit in your car, and then pour it down the barrel, gas tube, and over your bolt and carrier (gas piston) and then slap the gun back together wet and call it a day.

We're talking about AKs here. Soapy water isn't going to make your plastic polymer stock discolor, remove the paint from your laser engraved "zombie killer symbol" that makes everyone know that you're a hardass, or cause your gas tube to clog, or your aimpoint micro to short.

It's an ak. It'll be fine. And if it rusts? Steel wool. Now it has character unlike your black polymer toy guns.

My appartment came with this device that will get rid of the salts in your rifle after you use commy ammo.
2011-04-02_16-35-45_792.jpg

Maybe you guys have the same device in your homes?

Just picked up my new saiga! Now i need to know what to buy for the conversion.

A number of folks on NES pointed me to Carolina Shooters Supply. I ordered their #6 conversion kit in black and it just came in today. There are plenty of other sources on the internet for conversion parts as well.

I just found some discount codes over on the saiga-12.com forum. Use "CSS" in capital letters and without the quote marks when you check out with Carolina Shooters. It is good for 5 percent off regular priced items. That forum has similar discounts from other parts sources, too.

saiga_disassembly2.jpg

guys, I circled two parts in the pic above... will these two parts be being re used if I have a complete FCG kit from CSS? I've watched the video of theirs and it seems like these parts are left out. I know that he is doing a saiga 12 though, so I'm not sure how different the guns are. little help? thx.

View attachment 17271

guys, I circled two parts in the pic above... will these two parts be being re used if I have a complete FCG kit from CSS? I've watched the video of theirs and it seems like these parts are left out. I know that he is doing a saiga 12 though, so I'm not sure how different the guns are. little help? thx.

Nope, you won't be needing those.

saigajj.jpg

got her mostly done. The bolt that came for the grip was horribly too long. I purchased a shorter one but it's still a bit too long. You can see where the grip isn't fitting very snug. It is solid though.

View attachment 17277

got her mostly done. The bolt that came for the grip was horribly too long. I purchased a shorter one but it's still a bit too long. You can see where the grip isn't fitting very snug. It is solid though.

Hmm.. I had this problem, but I had wood furniture, so I just filed it down on the inside around the trigger guard (looks like you have the same one I do). You may have to remove some material from your pistol grip. My bolt was too long, but close enough that I could just use washers. Sounds like yours is a bit more "off"... but you could probably find something at home depot. Hard to tell from the one pic.

View attachment 17277

Looks like you have one of the bolt on trigger guards. You may need to modify that grip in order to snug it up to the receiver.

From what I remember the grip screw doesn't pass into the receiver on those. Just take a Dremel to the bolt and cut off what you don't need and then chase the threads to clean them up.

Just take a Dremel to the bolt and cut off what you don't need and then chase the threads to clean them up.

Ray beat me to it.
Word to the wise... find a nut with the same threads and thread it onto the bolt before you cut it off. Then when you take the nut off it'll straighten the cut thread ends right out.

OK, I have been procrastinating on buying the parts and beginning the conversion since picking up the Saiga. The more photos you guys post, the more I hesitate--like being shown a menu at a good diner with too many choices. I really don't want to rush it. Also like items on the diner menu, I like everything I've seen.

Feel free to post that little vomiting smilie or laughing smilie as a response if you don't care for it, but I've been looking at Weaponeer's wood stock and forend.

I appreciate your thoughts.

Forend (not mounted) video.

cimg3831_picnik_171_detail.jpg

More forend photos here.

Woodstock SVD style (pretty long duration) video. The first time we view the stock is at 3:45 in.

cimg3848_666_detail.jpg

More woodstock photos.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys i have an important question about painting the unpainted parts of the receiver.

I saw that people were using grill paint. i have some 1,200 degree black paint, but it came out really flat colored compared to the rest of the gun. the gun looks like it has some gloss on it, and the underside where i painted looks like black chalk. what are you guys doing to bring the touch up paint to life?

All I want to do on my saiga is add a pistol grip,change the stock and use the original mags it came with do I need to buy special trigger group?

Back
Top Bottom