• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Saiga 5.45x39 Rifle Mod Thread

where you surprised to see less than stellar machine marks ? Like any AK the trigger can be good or TFU. either wat fun guns. I only wish I purchased one or two pre 2008

What the hells a trunnion?[laugh]

This is the first time I have ever bought a gun that I know NOTHING about!

Flat trunnion:

trun_flat.jpg

Round trunnion:

trun_round.jpg

Depending on which type your Saiga has will deteremine what type of bullet guide you need if you plan on using AK74 magazines.

Depending on which type your Saiga has will deteremine what type of bullet guide you need if you plan on using AK74 magazines.

From some of what I've been reading, SKSRay, many of the 5.45's work fine without the bullet guide... is this the case? I'm planning to try mine out w/o one first.... and see how it does, but input is welcome.

From some of what I've been reading, SKSRay, many of the 5.45's work fine without the bullet guide... is this the case? I'm planning to try mine out w/o one first.... and see how it does, but input is welcome.

Some feed fine w/out it and some don't. Myself I think it has to do with the type of magazine and the way the 5.45x39 round is shaped. I added one in mine that I had from an old build. It was for a flat trunnion and my Saiga had a round one so I had to Dremel and file the hell out of it to get it to fit. I took a cordless Dremel to the range with me in case I needed to remove some material from the feed ramps but ran 3 mags through it with zero feeding issues so I'd say its good to go.

I never tried mine w/out the bullet guide. It could have fed fine for all I know but the gun is supposed to have one to use 74 magazines so I added it.

Here is a shot of the bullet guide I modded to fit:

100_1831.jpg

And here is the rifle after adding the new gas tube, bolt on lower handguard retainer, and black laminate Timbersmith stock set:

100_1832.jpg

100_1833.jpg

100_1834.jpg

These stock sets are made for Romanian AK variants so the fit on a Russian is a little loose here and there but it seems like it'll work.

I was wondering... out of the rifles sold so far to people here, who has what for a trunnion? Round or flat?

Also, can anyone see threads under their barrel sleeve?

Can't speak for the threads, didn't look that close, but mine does have a flat trunnion. Which is awesome since I have a flat BG, I will start the conversion tomorrow night.

Can't speak for the threads, didn't look that close, but mine does have a flat trunnion. Which is awesome since I have a flat BG, I will start the conversion tomorrow night.

Interesting!
I figured all of them in the batch would be identical since they were bought together...... go figure.

I was surprised to find a round trunnion on mine seeing that the general consensus at the Saiga forum I frequent was that all current trunnions were flat for 5.45 . Also, I can't seem to find a round bullet guide for the 5.45, I've looked a few sites but nothing has come up. I wonder if a 7.62 BG would fit with modification.

Last edited:
Brian at Dinzag has good products but shipping takes a little while, usually about a week and a half to two weeks. Some of his prices are much more than other sellers such as the bolt on lower handguard retainer but when buying parts to drill/tap/thread a Saiga, his prices are great. The Saiga12 forum has a listing of links and vendors that sell conversion products along with reviews too.

Dude, this spot weld that holds the front of the trigger guard to the plat, SUCKS. Use a sharp bit and a strong fast drill.

Sucks in a good way, like a challenging I can't wait to get through it kind of way. Didn't mean to discourage anyone.

Last edited:
Don't forget that when removing the rivets to get the plate off, you don't have to remove them completely.

100_1517.jpg

Grind them down enough to pop off the plate, then grind them almost smooth, then use a sanding disc to smooth them out. When I did my first build in that pic I found I didn't have to remove the rear rivet completely. The only hole that needs to be there is the one in the center where the screw/nut that holds the trigger guard will go. Its easy to spray a thin coat of BBQ grill black paint on the bottom of the receiver and not have excess holes showing for a cleaner build look.

OK, so I hit a snag, the bolt hold open, I can't make sense on how to reinstall that part.

This video is for the Saiga shotgun but the BHO and trigger assembly is pretty much the same.
Just remember unless you have a modded trigger you'll need to remove some materail from one side if using the bolt hold open.

Last edited by a moderator:
I found that video and figured it out. That was a fun project! I am going to order the gas tube and lower hand guard retainer to finish the front end tomorrow, and I am thinking about trying to thread the barrel and put a AK74 brake on the end.

Here it is just out of the box.

IMG00135.jpg

2 and a half hours later...

_MediaCard_BlackBerry_pictures_IMG00138.jpg

This was not hard to do at all. I just watched the videos on youtube a few times. I used a Dremal, a drill, flat screw driver, a hammer, punch set, a pair of needle nose's and 2 vise grips. I had never taken apart an AK before yesterday, and was able to do it in about 2 and a half hours. I am going to strip it all back down tomorrow after work to clean up and paint the bottom of the receiver. Any fence sitters should definitely go for it.

This piece of paper was in the box, IDK what it says, but I thought it was kind of neat.

IMG00136.jpg

Thanks to Ray for his help with my questions on this project. [mg]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom