Saiga 5.45x39 Rifle Mod Thread

As it turns out I was able to get 3/4 of the body stripped with out damaging the finish to much, but the bottom near the plate looks like it was already hit with a sander. It is all scuffed up and a grayish white color. Oh well. I will just keep an eye out for a plum mag.

What stripper did you use? Please tell! [grin]

and the reason why they look like the bottom near the plate is sanded is because it is- that is a Russian Izhevsk plum magazine that got into the hands of bulgarians. They stripped the arsenal Izzy mark (molded into the mag) and possibly the painted inspection stamps with a sander, and then they painted it black and called it their own.

One of the easier ways of getting russian mags into the US [smile]

Ahhh, that makes sense, there some deep scratching in the center of the mag body at the plate in a triangular shape.

As for how I was stripping it, I noticed the color when I scratched the body peeling the price stickers off of them. I used some WD40 to get the glue from the stickers off, and it seemed to break the paint up enough to lightly scrape it off with a flat chisel. It was kind of a let down to get it all off fairly cleanly until the bottom, now it just looks like an eye sore. Oh well, it is an AK after all. [wink]

Got my first order from CSS. Stuff looks good and shipping was really quick considering. I now need to plan and purchase my gas tube, upper and lower hand guard and that adapter needed to mount the lower guard. You guys may laugh and what not, but I didn't go with the wood furniture, but so be it...it's my rifle. I'll post a few before and after pics when I get the PG conversion done.

I was wondering... out of the rifles sold so far to people here, who has what for a trunnion? Round or flat?

Also, can anyone see threads under their barrel sleeve?

I cannot tell whether I have threads under the barrel sleeve. I have a round trunnion. I wanted to order from Carolina Shooters this morning to get a conversion kit and a BG for the trunnion, but they do not list a BG for a round trunnion in this caliber. I think I will call them.

I cannot tell whether I have threads under the barrel sleeve. I have a round trunnion. I wanted to order from Carolina Shooters this morning to get a conversion kit and a BG for the trunnion, but they do not list a BG for a round trunnion in this caliber. I think I will call them.

Let us know if they have one... the only round I've seen is HERE.

That said, so far mine (round) feeds just fine without the guide, so I probably won't bother with that... spend the $25 on ammo instead. [smile]

Let us know if they have one... the only round I've seen is HERE.

That said, so far mine (round) feeds just fine without the guide, so I probably won't bother with that... spend the $25 on ammo instead. [smile]

OK. I just got off the phone with a guy at Carolina Shooters. They do not have the BG for the 5.45 round trunnions just yet. He said that round trunnions on 5.45 Saiga's are a new development and they have some round BG's coming in within the next two or three weeks. He also stated that many folks report running fine without a BG and that those who do have problems are reporting that it is with the final round in the magazine. I'm ordering my conversion kit now.

The Dinzag kits are great. I heard he upgraded the drill bit and tap included from the ones he used to sell with the kit. I don't doubt it because I watched my friend install one the other day and it took him about 10 minutes.

Got my gas tube and lower hand guard in the mail to day, so now I am just waiting on my Russian sling and Bulgarian rear sight to come in on Friday, and then nut up and thread the barrel for a brake.

Here is an updated picture, I love the look of the Plum furniture [smile].

_MediaCard_BlackBerry_pictures_IMG00154.jpg

Got my gas tube and lower hand guard in the mail to day, so now I am just waiting on my Russian sling and Bulgarian rear sight to come in on Friday, and then nut up and thread the barrel for a brake.

Nice!
I center punched my barrel and made a very small dimple with a 3/16 drill bit to give the handguard retainer set screw something to bite into. Its worked great so far after about a dozen mags through it.

I put an old POSP scope I had laying around on my 5.45 yesterday and sighted it in yesterday. Very accurate with cheap surplus ammo!
A friend of mine snapped a picture of it.

208584_1702283674497_1160104855_2647425_8368798_n.jpg

I'll put this set up against the average scoped AR anyday.

Thanks! I used a 3/16 drill bit to dimple the barrel. I couldn't find my red loctite so I used blue, I will run it hard and see what happens. I might get sick tomorrow and take it to the range. [wink]

The post Andreas made about the gas tube was very helpful.

ETA: I really like the finish on your furniture.

The Dinzag kits are great. I heard he upgraded the drill bit and tap included from the ones he used to sell with the kit. I don't doubt it because I watched my friend install one the other day and it took him about 10 minutes.

OK. Maybe I'll order the BG from them and be done with it. I ordered the #6 conversion kit from Carolina Shooters today with the black K-Var stock and black pistol grip. My immediate aim is to simply become 922r compliant.

Here is an updated picture, I love the look of the Plum furniture [smile].

_MediaCard_BlackBerry_pictures_IMG00154.jpg

looks good, nice job.

What's the legality as far as the muzzle brake in MA on these? brake, ok? flash suppressor, not?

looks good, nice job.

What's the legality as far as the muzzle brake in MA on these? brake, ok? flash suppressor, not?

Brake = OK

flash suppressor = not ok

Fortunately, in the AKM world, there is no such thing as a flash suppressor unless you buy US made AR-15 styled muzzle devices for your delicious Automat Kalashnikov. Why would someone do something as silly as that?

awesome, thanks alot for the info. I picked up my 5.45 from Manchester on Sunday, kit and things on the way, I'll post pics once something is accomplished.

You cut the sleeve off the end of the barrel, I think it is attached to the front sight. Then us a die with the right thread for the device you want. I have a 14x1L die I borrowed from a buddy, and I bought a 5.45, 14x1L thread alignment tool.

Die

Thread alignment tool

haha, it is going to take me at least 2 weeks to get the nuts up to do it to mine.

A small tubing cutter is usually the go to item for removing the sleeve. Since the Saiga front sight block sleeve is so long and most brakes can only be screwed on about half the length of it, a tubing cutter like this:

104TubingCutter_4.jpg

works good. You just have to keep cranking down and twisting and then the sleeve pops off when it cuts all the way through. This also gives you an even cut and enough room if you go right up against the front sight base. You end up cutting off a little more than half of the sleeve which is what you want for 90% of the brakes out there.

100_1518.jpg

Some sellers have a brake that is bored out with a shoulder to accept a full cut if you want to thread right up to the sight base. I think Dinzag sells one. It looks more traditional but requires some steady Dremel work and some finish work with a file.

Biggest thing is measuring the diameter of your barrel. Some dies won't work with certain barrel widths. Dinzag Arms has a list of what works and what doesn't.

Some of you may get lucky and discover threads already under your sleeve. Lots of military barrels with muzzle threads were put on Saigas and will accept a standard brake once the sleeve is removed.

Last edited:
I think I'm going to give Harry a call at Noah's Motors and see if he can do it for me for a reasonable price.

Awesome post, THANKS! I will pick up one of those tube cutters tomorrow.

Do you have a picture of that rifle finished with the muzzle device mounted?

Geez, Ed--look what you and your plum furniture started!

STOCK SET AK-47, AK74 SAIGA RIFLE WARSAW LENGTH PLUM COLOR
SKU: KVAR-PLUM-WARSAW-SET
AKPSW ~ Four piece Plum US Stock AK-47/74 Set.
WARSAW length 8.5" stock for all stamped receivers.
Equipped with stainless steel heat shield.

COLOR PLUM

For the Saiga Rifles you will also need the "Gas Tube" with handguard bracket and "Handguard Retaining Lower Bracket" to install
KVAR

PRICE: $119.95
OUT OF STOCK

Awesome post, THANKS! I will pick up one of those tube cutters tomorrow.

Do you have a picture of that rifle finished with the muzzle device mounted?

No but there are a bunch on the Saiga 12 forum where people have threaded their barrels. Just be sure to tack it in a few places after or pin it to be legal.

Just so you guys know....the conversion kits finally got back in stock so I ordered it up.
In the meantime, I have been staining my birch kit that I got from CSS. Just need to start the coats of spar varnish!

Will post pics when I have it done

No but there are a bunch on the Saiga 12 forum where people have threaded their barrels. Just be sure to tack it in a few places after or pin it to be legal.

excuse my ignorance, but when you say tack it, I assume you mean throw a tiny weld on there, but what do you mean by pin? thanks.

This might be a dumb question but Im gonna ask anyways cuz im gonna pick 1 up today. The conversion that everyone is talking about is to a 7.62x39 correct? What should I type in youtube to find the video. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom