Saiga 5.45x39 Rifle Mod Thread

Thanks but im still confused and dont know how to really use the chart. How many american made parts do i need for it to be 922r compliant? Can someone give me some examples?

Thanks but im still confused and dont know how to really use the chart. How many american made parts do i need for it to be 922r compliant? Can someone give me some examples?

According to Title 18 Chapter 44 Section 922(r) of the United States Code, defined further by Title 27 Part 478.39 of the Code of Federal Regulation (CFR)
I CAN NOT make an AK out of my Saiga, UNLESS I use no more than ten (10) imported (original Saiga or surplus) parts during my conversion.

To achieve ten (10) imported parts count I could just replace original Saiga FCG and furniture with 3pc US-made FCG AND 3pc US-made Furniture.
Turns out that AK-family rifles consist only 16 parts out of 20 defined by BATFE in their complieance list:

Receiver
Barrel
Mounting block (front trunion)
Muzzle attachment
Bolt
Bolt carrier
Gas piston
Trigger
Hammer
Disconnector
Buttstock
Pistol grip
Forearm, handguard
Magazine body
Follower
Floorplate

Therefore replacing 6 out of above imported parts with 6 US-made would bring down imported parts count to legal 10.

what most people do when they conver their saiga:
install 3pc tapco g2 trigger group (FCG) - that's 3 usmade parts towards 922r
install k-var/timbersmith furniture (handguards, pistol grip, buttstock) that's another 3 usmade parts.

Now you have replaced 6 original parts with us made out of 16 defined by BATFE (AK-style rifles). this brings your foreign part count to 10 or less*.

*BTW you are still in the clear to use surplus mags and add ak74 surplus/imported muzzle break - I acounted for it in the list above although original saiga doesn't come with one but it's nice feature to have and a lot of people want to put it on, because it's not an AK if you don't have signature muzzle brake-compensator on it ;)

REFERENCES:
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/guides/standard-restriction-stamps-for-import-permits.html
http://www.tapco.com/section922r.php
http://thegunwiki.com/Gunwiki/BuildSaigaVerifyCompliance

Last edited:
According to Title 18 Chapter 44 Section 922(r) of the United States Code, defined further by Title 27 Part 478.39 of the Code of Federal Regulation (CFR)
I CAN NOT make an AK out of my Saiga, UNLESS I use no more than ten (10) imported (original Saiga or surplus) parts during my conversion.

To achieve ten (10) imported parts count I could just replace original Saiga FCG and furniture with 3pc US-made FCG AND 3pc US-made Furniture.
Turns out that AK-family rifles consist only 16 parts out of 20 defined by BATFE in their complieance list:

Receiver
Barrel
Mounting block (front trunion)
Muzzle attachment
Bolt
Bolt carrier
Gas piston
Trigger
Hammer
Disconnector
Buttstock
Pistol grip
Forearm, handguard
Magazine body
Follower
Floorplate

Therefore replacing 6 out of above imported parts with 6 US-made would bring down imported parts count to legal 10.

what most people do when they conver their saiga:
install 3pc tapco g2 trigger group (FCG) - that's 3 usmade parts towards 922r
install k-var/timbersmith furniture (handguards, pistol grip, buttstock) that's another 3 usmade parts.

Now you have replaced 6 original parts with us made out of 16 defined by BATFE (AK-style rifles). this brings your foreign part count to 10 or less*.

*BTW you are still in the clear to use surplus mags and add ak74 surplus/imported muzzle break - I acounted for it in the list above although original saiga doesn't come with one but it's nice feature to have and a lot of people want to put it on, because it's not an AK if you don't have signature muzzle brake-compensator on it ;)

REFERENCES:
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/guides/standard-restriction-stamps-for-import-permits.html
http://www.tapco.com/section922r.php
http://thegunwiki.com/Gunwiki/BuildSaigaVerifyCompliance

So, the kit I bought from Carolinashootersupply.com says "Conversion Kit includes everything for your basic conversion and to be 922r compliant for all Saiga 223, 7.62, 308, 5.45 Rifles and 410 & 20 Gauge Shotguns" does that mean its legal? I wanted to install a kvar hand guard but it doesn't say that it counts for 922r compliant part. As long as I replace parts on my saiga with us made parts I should be all set correct?

Last edited:
it's really simple.
does you rifle have more than 10 original/imported parts out of the list i wrote?
if you do have more than 10 of those, then yes, it's illegal.

Last edited:
it's really simple.
does you rifle have more than 10 original/imported parts out of the list i wrote?
if you do have more than 10 of those, then yes, it's illegal.

I don't even know what half those things are. just a little info on the things ive changed: buttstock, pistol grip, and trigger group.

I don't even know what half those things are. just a little info on the things ive changed: buttstock, pistol grip, and trigger group.

Buy Mike's lower handguard retainer, a new gas tube from CSS, and an upper/lower handguard set and install those parts. The rifle will look better and you'll be all set.

those are 5 compliance parts. If we assume they all US made then you are 100% legal and all set.

if at some point you decide you want to add muzzle break then you have to add one more US made part from the list. handguards swap with US made ones would be quick'n'easy. alternatively you can put in US made gas piston

those are 5 compliance parts. If we assume they all US made then you are 100% legal and all set.

if at some point you decide you want to add muzzle break then you have to add one more US made part from the list. handguards swap with US made ones would be quick'n'easy. alternatively you can put in US made gas piston

Thanks!

Do i need a upper and lower tension spring from ccs? Iwill also need to notch the barrel to make it fit rite?

I've only used the springs when using wooden stock sets. Some, such as the Timbersmith brand, have the cut outs for them and you can see where they fit into place.
Notching the barrel for a LHG retainer is easy. There is a video on Mike's page showing how to install.

Hey guise, I purchased the Ace clamp on front sight for my 5.45 due to a muzzle break disaster that I'm not going to get into that left me short a FSB. My question is about the post adapter... the barrel looking thing, does that need to be pressed into the sight? It seems a bit too big for the hole it's supposed to fit into, I'm just wondering if this is due to a mismatch or if it's because it needs to be pressed in, I'm guessing the later, just looking for confirmation.

Link to the sight: http://riflestocks.com/store/product54.html

I have a sight tool, but the thing is, it seems useless as far as actually installing the part goes, I can totally see how it will work for adjustments, once installed, but for the initial install I'm not sure how to handle it.

1. c-clamp + guide tube + push rod

2. another crude way is simply trying to align sight and stud and then slowly squeeze in the bench wise.

no guaranties in either case but it just might work with some persistence and care

Think there'd be any downside in using some kind of lubricant? I'm thinking maybe something to lube it and then a C clamp or something to press it in. I don't have a legit hydraulic press at my disposal but if that's what's required then I'll figure something out.

certainly some heavy lube will help. put it liberally on the inside of the sight block not just stud.
you can just slather it with pig lard but not Crisco kind, the one that on the bacon kind.
smash it up with meat tenderizer and you are good to go.
good luck.

all conversion parts purchased through Carolina Shooters Supply with the exception of the handguard retainer which i purchased from Dench

AK.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom