Saiga 5.45x39 Rifle Mod Thread

Anyone here tried this Lower Handguard Retainer for Saiga conversions? It doesn't require removal of gas block and sight block. Drop-in part if you want to use standard AK handguards in place of single piece factory handguard.

here is the pic:
LHG02Gen.2_1.jpg

I have a bolt on lower handguard coming from brownells tomorrow I'll let you know how that one works by about 5:30 I know Carolina shooting supply has a version for $50 but that's sold out and dinzag sells one for like $70 and the one I got was only $24 so we will see if I get what I paid for or didn't!

P1010006.jpg

Off to Harvard to test and then off to paint.

Nice!!

I have a bolt on lower handguard coming from brownells tomorrow I'll let you know how that one works by about 5:30 I know Carolina shooting supply has a version for $50 but that's sold out and dinzag sells one for like $70 and the one I got was only $24 so we will see if I get what I paid for or didn't!
I hope you didn't get this one here but it sounds like you did. I had bad experience with it. And I heard from couple of people that they had same problem with it as well. Retainer is cracking under tension or doesn't hold if you tighten lightly.
it's visually and price-vise very appealing, but quality sub-par at best. This goes for many AK parts from Vulcan from what I've heard and read, not just this instance with retainer.

Last edited:
Anyone here tried this Lower Handguard Retainer for Saiga conversions? It doesn't require removal of gas block and sight block. Drop-in part if you want to use standard AK handguards in place of single piece factory handguard.

here is the pic:
View attachment 19918

I may be interested in trying one. I have a few builds that I want to use traditional furniture on and haven't decided if I want to press the gas and sight blocks off for new ones. I've been using the Dinzag/CSS bolt on ones with great success but Greg is out of stock and I just can't see paying almost twice as much for the same item from Brian.

I'm not too crazy about the look of a screw and nut on a retainer. I've done that before with a doctored Romanian one I Dremeled. It worked but looked like shit. I'm interested in the pin idea I read about on your site but wonder how secure it is. I beat the hell out of my Saigas because they can take it. I need a retainer that will hold up to the rifle's reputation.

I may be interested in trying one. I have a few builds that I want to use traditional furniture on and haven't decided if I want to press the gas and sight blocks off for new ones. I've been using the Dinzag/CSS bolt on ones with great success but Greg is out of stock and I just can't see paying almost twice as much for the same item from Brian.

I'm not too crazy about the look of a screw and nut on a retainer. I've done that before with a doctored Romanian one I Dremeled. It worked but looked like shit. I'm interested in the pin idea I read about on your site but wonder how secure it is. I beat the hell out of my Saigas because they can take it. I need a retainer that will hold up to the rifle's reputation.

If there traditional pin-lock retainer outhere that is stronger than original surplus that would be mine. It has 50% more (thicker) material than original does. I had no problem with it on my rifles and it holds just as solidly as original, even better.

My Gen.2 series has been further refined and different mounting solution implemented for ease of installation/removal. Aside from having additional securing point for handguard over Dinzag's/CSS it also looks like part of the rifle and not like plumbing implement.

If you can manage to brake my retainer through it's intended operational usage, I will refund your money, no questions asked.

Last edited:
I'll probably try one out but with the pin. With the exception of Jay's Fugly Stick handguards on my Saiga shotguns, I'm all for traditional furniture on my Saiga rifles.

Thought that I'd post an update to one of my 5.45 build.
Got a TWS rear cover with Magpul sites and ACE AR grip conversion. The standard AR grip is one that was just laying around.
I am getting a MIAD.
317161_2187495960527_1040884673_3548585_2252194_n.jpg

321493_2187498520591_1040884673_3548587_1514232_n.jpg

304471_2187499680620_1040884673_3548588_2580900_n.jpg

Last edited:
have you guys seen one of those cars/trucks/SUVs, that have aftermarket spoiler and skirts, faux side air intakes and/or hood scoop, then over-sized chromed rims of some 'advanced' or 'cutting edge' design, spinners, chromed mesh radiator grill, yellow or blue projector ellipsoid fog and head lights, 95% tint on all the windows, vinyl decals with dragon or some other sh*t on the side, 'racing' visor strip on the windshield, stainless 'performance' exhaust with 5 inch tail pipe....
list can go on, installed features might vary...

I don't know, maybe it's just me but IMHO an AK should just be an AK. Anyone here with me on this?

I don't know, maybe it's just me but IMHO an AK should just be an AK. Anyone here with me on this?

meh, different strokes for different folks. While I have a Bulgy AK74 kit that I am trying to make look as close as possible to what it did 20 years ago, I may take my Saiga apart and go a different direction with one of those unimax railed gas tube to make it a little more handy.

IDK about M4 stocks, pistol grips, and railed dust cover, but that's just my taste.

I never thought I'd ever think or say this, but I think Dench's rifle looks pretty freakin sweet. It's almost tempting me to do a "tactical" AK of some kind.

The problem is that I have a rifle like this. And I hardly ever use it.

The photo i recently posted is the Saiga in 7.62x39. The differences from the 5.45x39 one are it has a KVAR stock instead of the Tapco, it uses to stock Saiga gas tube and it does not have a optic on it.

I think its more functional than "tactical." Now I have a place that I can comfortably grip [rofl]

Maybe you should submit some legislation.

lololol
if you don't like it make your own purist only thread.
I have boxes full of these things and I will do as I please with them.
they come from the factory neutered and I de-neuter as I please.
I am going to make something that looks like it belongs in this century and everything I add serves a useful practical purpose . if you want a piece of wood from the 1940s go buy it. nobody asked you what I should do with mine.
If you don't like what Dench or I do go start your own thread.

/|\
.| That is a pretty strong statement. [wink]

I still like Dench's 5.45 build, and am probably going to mimic it, in some shape or fashion.

I am going to make something that looks like it belongs in this century and everything I add serves a useful practical purpose . if you want a piece of wood from the 1940s go buy it. nobody asked you what I should do with mine.
If you don't like what Dench or I do go start your own thread.

Its your rifle. You can do with it whatever you want. Put a tampon dispenser on one side rail, slap a copy of Call of Duty MW on the other, mall ninja walkie talkie on the bottom, etc. The possibilities are endless. Bottom line is what could you possibly do to that rifle that will make it shoot or perform any better than a standard AKM configuration? Nothing because if there was, the Russians would have been using it along time ago!

In my eyes its f'n ridiculous. Its in every sense an AR with the exception of the platform. You could have saved the cash you spent on all that crap and bought a gas piston AR and had something a lot more accurate. I just don't get the logic behind the build.

The RMR is nice, and I'll be putting one on this Saiga also, but the RMR is $440ish, plus the $80 for the mount, so its not exactly a blast to buy. [rofl]

Its your rifle. You can do with it whatever you want. Put a tampon dispenser on one side rail, slap a copy of Call of Duty MW on the other, mall ninja walkie talkie on the bottom, etc. The possibilities are endless. Bottom line is what could you possibly do to that rifle that will make it shoot or perform any better than a standard AKM configuration? Nothing because if there was, the Russians would have been using it along time ago!

In my eyes its f'n ridiculous. Its in every sense an AR with the exception of the platform. You could have saved the cash you spent on all that crap and bought a gas piston AR and had something a lot more accurate. I just don't get the logic behind the build.
I have a gas piston AR. I also have multiple Saiga rifles and shotguns in every caliber.
I have SKSs, Galils, other AK variants, and more. I will do whatever I choose with any of them.
A standard AKM will not shoot the same as Dench's or mine. Donkey dongs are also not as comfortable as an AFG, or a Krebs offset.
The TWS will hold zero way longer than a side mounted scope, which also look super ridiculous.
And if you really want to get into it, there are thousands of improvements Russia could have made, and did not.
America is the same. There are so many things Stoner didn't do, that Magpul has in the ACR.

Here's one of my piston AR's this one happens to be in 7.62x39.
320589_2197368327330_1040884673_3560994_430655768_n.jpg

Last edited:
id say nice rifles dench and tom! its good to have both you can most certainly do whatever you want with your own rifles but id say modify some with all the tactical stuff youd like but you should also have one or two in a more classic config! thats why my 5.45 got poly and the 7.62 got wood i would def own more of both in different configs!

Back
Top Bottom