Saiga 5.45x39 Rifle Mod Thread

I ask because I kind of like the idea of the AK105, was curious if it would be cost effective to have someone do the remove the front sight and replace it with the right one and pin a long enough brake or buy one like this.

img_rif_104_lg.jpg

Removing the dimpled front sights is easy. A straight cut on both sides with a Dremel is all thats needed. Takes minutes to do.

Installing the new front sight block straight is the trickiest part because you have to notch the barrel for retaining pins and keep everything straight.

Tom.... why are you threading the original barrel if you're in RI?!? You could install a Bulgarian 74 sight block and use the threads on it for a brake that belongs on there.

If anyone is looking for a Saiga in 7.62x39, gunbroker has them for $390-500. I picked one up for $400, and its on its way to my FFL.

I know $400 is a lot for a Saiga, but I dont want to wait anymore. I think my MAK-90 is a very nice AK, but I dont like the stock on it, and I've been super impressed with the Saiga's accuracy. I'm looking to move all my AKs over to Saiga's.

If anyone is looking for a Saiga in 7.62x39, gunbroker has them for $390-500. I picked one up for $400, and its on its way to my FFL.

I know $400 is a lot for a Saiga, but I dont want to wait anymore. I think my MAK-90 is a very nice AK, but I dont like the stock on it, and I've been super impressed with the Saiga's accuracy. I'm looking to move all my AKs over to Saiga's.

How are you going to dress the 762 up?

Similar to the 5.45 one, i think. I havent put a ton of thought into it, but the setup i already did so far has been amazing.

Cool, I like that setup, and if I didn't have 16 other projects going on I would probably loosely copy it.

didn't see the weaver receiver cover on that website...is it from somewhere else? looks awesome.

The receiver cover is from Texas Weapon Systems. Absolutely rock solid, weighs less then original cover, comes with a rear peep sight, and will hold zero dead on. Just make sure you mount it with the rear leaf spring still installed. They say to remove it, but it mounts far better with it in.

I use the rear peep sight and the a Knights ball tipped front sight post. I average .75 to 1" groups @100yards and thats with a 12.5" barrel

The receiver cover is from Texas Weapon Systems. Absolutely rock solid, weighs less then original cover, comes with a rear peep sight, and will hold zero dead on. Just make sure you mount it with the rear leaf spring still installed. They say to remove it, but it mounts far better with it in.

I use the rear peep sight and the a Knights ball tipped front sight post. I average .75 to 1" groups @100yards and thats with a 12.5" barrel

No need to make tall claims like that around here. Your rifle looks great, don't get me wrong. That is something you should celebrate for sure, and it new-found utilitarianism and function. But you claiming that machined aluminum bar stock weighs less than thin stamped sheet metal and that your cut down barrel holds 3/4" groupings is borderline.

Unless you're rolling your own ammo, or showing some proof, I'd keep it to yourself.

But you claiming that machined aluminum bar stock weighs less than thin stamped sheet metal and that your cut down barrel holds 3/4" groupings is borderline.

Unless you're rolling your own ammo, or showing some proof, I'd keep it to yourself.

I admit, I fabricated the truth! Its not lighter, Guess they weigh the same! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLW0orHrjRg

For now on I shall "keep it to myself"

Hey guys so I am halfway through conversion of my 5.45(got it all torn apart and robots all drilled and such) just waiting on the parts from Carolina shooters! Well now I'm thinking about doing a 7.62 but want to do wood preferably something in Warsaw length any suggestions??? Thanks btw will post pics next week when it's done!

Hey guys so I am halfway through conversion of my 5.45(got it all torn apart and robots all drilled and such) just waiting on the parts from Carolina shooters! Well now I'm thinking about doing a 7.62 but want to do wood preferably something in Warsaw length any suggestions??? Thanks btw will post pics next week when it's done!

I got one of the cheap laminate stock sets from a distributor (can't remember which one) but it looks pretty close to Russian furniture and only cost around $50. The wood is soft though, chips easy, and the finish is a piss thin coat of shellac. So if you're looking for something that stays nice looking, don't get one of these.

Russian sets pop up on E Bay now and then but they're often pricey. Flintoid knows where to pick up some decent furniture and should be along shortly.

just finished my conversion. although it's done to a 7.62, i used a ton of the info in this thread to complete the build and just wanted to say thanks to all who have contributed here. also, i'd post a pic, but it's identical to SKS Ray's AK featured on the first page of this thread...i couldn't withstand the Black Laminate look.

Flintoid knows where to pick up some decent furniture and should be along shortly.

I'd give you a link to a Ukrainian "supplier" but he's been getting hammered by Ukrainian customs lately... he's a risk now.

You can always go with Ironwood Designs and finish the wood yourself. They sell good stuff but for a good amount of money.

you could buy surplus stocks and refinish them. I've got a metric crap load of romanian stocks, but they're nothing fancy- but from what atilla did to one of them, they sure do finish up nice.

Thanks but I ended up ordering a set from apex genuine battlefield stuff I believe it's the stuff you and atilla mentioned in the other forum. I'm going to just clean then poly it for a rough look on my 7.62 conversion! The 5.45 is getting black polymer furniture. They both should be sweet!
I'd give you a link to a Ukrainian "supplier" but he's been getting hammered by Ukrainian customs lately... he's a risk now.

You can always go with Ironwood Designs and finish the wood yourself. They sell good stuff but for a good amount of money.

you could buy surplus stocks and refinish them. I've got a metric crap load of romanian stocks, but they're nothing fancy- but from what atilla did to one of them, they sure do finish up nice.

Back
Top Bottom