• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Saiga 5.45x39 Rifle Mod Thread

One thing is for sure... if I do any more Saiga builds it'll be with the newer models coming in with LHG retainers and 74 style FSB. Let the Russians do the hard stuff for you.[wink]

One thing is for sure... if I do any more Saiga builds it'll be with the newer models coming in with LHG retainers and 74 style FSB. Let the Russians do the hard stuff for you.[wink]

I don't think 'new ones' will be staying any longer. with these extra special features they come at the price that most people are just not willing to pay for Saiga. These also were not exactly flying off the shelf. From what I've heard from my dealer - there will be no more sets with AK handguards. It was a trial run, by one of the distributors and customers didn't jump it, so back to old and tried (cheap $299 Saiga).

Just an update on my saiga bolt carrier: i figured out what was causing the bolt carrier to get stuck. It was mainly cuz the new handguard wasnt sitting properly, after filing down the front of the handguard it went in smoothly and lever closed without force. Now the bolt carrier is back to normal and doesnt get stuck anymore.

I'm going to be doing my first Saiga conversion soon but in 7.62. I want to do the full conversion on the front, retainer, gas block, sight block and perm attach brake. But I don't have a press and material/knowhow or room for one. So does anyone know of a gunsmith, or someone that does this? I'm on the northshore but travelling is ok. Thanks.

I'm going to be doing my first Saiga conversion soon but in 7.62. I want to do the full conversion on the front, retainer, gas block, sight block and perm attach brake. But I don't have a press and material/knowhow or room for one. So does anyone know of a gunsmith, or someone that does this? I'm on the northshore but travelling is ok. Thanks.

Zero Hour in Easton, MA. has a guy that might do it.

I purchased a Saiga 5.45 from The Firing Line last spring and just did the conversion last night. Before and after pics below. Parts were purchased from Carolinashoorterssupply.com, they have very helpfull videos if you get stuck mid conversion. Which I did, I was trying to use the retainer plate in place of the BHO plate. In hind sight that sounds really stupid but I fumbled with it for a good 20 minutes before I realized it was the wrong part.

I went with:
- Ace skeleton stock
- Hogue grip
- Tapco FCG
- Carolina Shooters Supply trigger guard
- Carolina Shooters Supply internal receiver block stock adapter
Extra goodies:
- UTG quad rail
- UTG 5 position foregrip
- UTG tactical bipod (I actually got this for my FA91 but I threw it on here for Tacticoolness in the pics)

IMG_8873.jpg
IMG_8865.jpg
IMG_8870.jpg

I don't know off the top of my head the weight difference between the stock foregrip and the UTG quad rail+bipod+vertical grip. Its wasn't uncomfortable to hold by any means, and again the bipod was just on it for show. That will find a permanent home on my FA91 once the tri rail comes in for that. I suppose I could weight them when I get home today.

Thanks. I have a feeling this was only the first of many saiga conversions I will do. I'm thinking a classic red wood furniture 7.62 next.

Lookin really good woda! Be careful it's addicting I just finished my 3rd and want a 4th!!

this stuff is addictive. i'm also on my 4-th one. now have it in every intermediate caliber: .223, 7.62x39 and two in 5.45x39.
Thinking about going full-size rifle calibers i.e. 308, 7.62x54R but prices and availability are just not there.

maybe it's time to make one in 9mm luger or 7.62x25. I heard it could be done as simple as blow-back operated sub-gun. make use of old PPS43 or PPSh41 mags. barrel and trunnion would need to be swapped out but if there is a will there is also always a way.

this stuff is addictive. i'm also on my 4-th one. now have it in every intermediate caliber: .223, 7.62x39 and two in 5.45x39.
Thinking about going full-size rifle calibers i.e. 308, 7.62x54R but prices and availability are just not there.

maybe it's time to make one in 9mm luger or 7.62x25. I heard it could be done as simple as blow-back operated sub-gun. make use of old PPS43 or PPSh41 mags. barrel and trunnion would need to be swapped out but if there is a will there is also always a way.

There are plenty of 308 Saigas around now and prices aren't bad. Its reworking them to true AK form thats the $$$ part. Brian at Dinzag makes an exclusive lower handguard retainer because the 308 barrels are much thicker compared to the others.
The only 7.62x54r model I know of is the VEPR but they're pricey. I'm still waiting on the Saiga .22lrs to get approved for import.[banana]

need advice on what to do here, i snapped the tap while tapping the bullet guide hole and can't even remove the embedded piece from the rifle. it is flush with the top so the BG will still sit properly, but wondered how the hell i attach it now. the only thing that springs to mind is having it welded in. any other options?

need advice on what to do here, i snapped the tap while tapping the bullet guide hole and can't even remove the embedded piece from the rifle. it is flush with the top so the BG will still sit properly, but wondered how the hell i attach it now. the only thing that springs to mind is having it welded in. any other options?

if your tap is HSS than you can try drill it out with carbide bit, but you will need mill/drill for this operation to be successful.
another option I can think of is jbweld. it *should* hold but for how long.

...or you can just welded it in.
just IMHO

I did the same a while back. Was using a Craftsman set up and snapped the tap backing it off. I tried shattering it with a punch, drilling, picking at it, nothing worked. I was ready to either weld it or send it to a pro shop, then I figured one last resort... a needle shaped diamond Dremel bit: http://www.dremel.com/en-us/Accessories/Pages/ProductDetail.aspx?pid=7134

I worked at it a little and saw grey dust start powdering up instantly and knew I was grinding the tap so I used a can of compressed air to keep clearing it and kept attacking it with the Dremel bit until I removed enough of the tap to drive it through the bottom of the trunnion with a small punch and hammer. Then I went one size up in tap/drill bit combo using a Snap On set which is either (Hanson or Irwin btw, can't remember right now) and had success.

I recently snapped the tap on my saiga conversion firstly never use the one CSS sells its a pos! Secondly I simple drilled a new hole next to the original attempt and tapped that with a decent tap screwed it in a little dremel work as it wasn't quite centered and she feeds like a champ! Good luck!

Are you guys all trying to power-tap these (i.e. with a drill)? I've never heard of so many snapped taps.... someone enlighten me on what I'm missing.

Are you guys all trying to power-tap these (i.e. with a drill)? I've never heard of so many snapped taps.... someone enlighten me on what I'm missing.
Nope mine was with a t handle! It's hard to tap small holes especially with Chinese taps! I'm pretty good about stopping when theres resistance and backing it out cleaning then relubing but right at the end when I went to back it out boing there it went!!!! The tap I bought at lowes so problem what so ever!

Nope mine was with a t handle! It's hard to tap small holes especially with Chinese taps! I'm pretty good about stopping when theres resistance and backing it out cleaning then relubing but right at the end when I went to back it out boing there it went!!!! The tap I bought at lowes so problem what so ever!

Hmmm... I guess I won't go the lazy route and use the tap I got with the guide; I'll just have to dig out the snap on set.

Hmmm... I guess I won't go the lazy route and use the tap I got with the guide; I'll just have to dig out the snap on set.

Yeah I love snap on tools! I don't have a set if their taps though just chasers, I don't tap a lot of holes! Even the other times I've used the taps from CSS they've been destroyed by the time I was done with one hole defiantly cheap crap!

Dinzag sells a pretty good drill/tap combo. I think the drill bit is slightly oversized. One thing I've noticed is that a lot of the cheaper taps seem to have a shelf life. 90% of the time I hear about someone breaking a quality tap is after they've used it on a few rifles. Its worth it to me to avoid the hassle and pick up a new Hanson or Irwin tap for $6.

When I broke one in a trunnion and looked for advice I found its something that happens to just about everybody that's drilled and tapped. I also heard it wouldn't be the last time I'll have one break.

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

thanks for the advice!

i got the tap out using a carbide bit a got from work and due to the damage done to the hole i had to go up to 8/32. so i drilled my 8/32 hole and snapped off the 8/32 tap in that hole...ha!

SO

she's getting welded in!
here she is assembled

tacticalAK.jpg

i'm not sure yet how i feel about the lil' red dot yet, looks a lil' outta place to me so far but i'm pretty sure i won't be able to dial it in anyways due to how high up on the rifle it is...we'll see.

Lookin good blix! That sucks on braking two taps!!! You thing about using a poprivet? I've heard some people rivet bullet guides in? I bought some thinking I might have tried it had my plan b not worked that was plan c... And jb weld d! ;-) luckily b was enough!

I did consider riveting, but instead i decided to blow a few hundred dollars on a stick welder...i've got a bunch of other things i can use it for and this was just the straw that broke the camel's toe :)

Yeah but ya gotta admit.. theres a quality difference in Harbor Freight type Made in China and stuff like Snap On Made In China taps.[smile]

Yep.... about 500% mark up.. [grin] That's it.. I'm also an ex Snap On Tool dealer and tech rep.. and still a working auto shop owner.. well kinda workin.. [grin]

Back
Top Bottom