Safe in trunk

Thanks for all of your responses. I realize I probably tend to look upon police as good guys with a hard job, but the points AND principles raised are good food for thought and reavaluation.

I am particularly interested in the last post about not hiding the safe too well! I am in the process of installing a hidden safe in my trunk. My greatest concern is leaving my pistols in the trunk (coming from a RED city "for all lawful purposes" was not awarded to me at this time). I love to shoot and being a working family man I need to store guns so that I can run the erands of dayto day living and go to the range or IDPA events too. I respect the combined knowledge and experience of the posts I read here, do you think I am making a mistake to permanantlyfasten a safe in my trunk? I figure it will give me great peace of mind, but never considered it would be frowned upon by the law!

Dave C

Thanks for all of your responses. I realize I probably tend to look upon police as good guys with a hard job, but the points AND principles raised are good food for thought and reavaluation.

I am particularly interested in the last post about not hiding the safe too well! I am in the process of installing a hidden safe in my trunk. My greatest concern is leaving my pistols in the trunk (coming from a RED city "for all lawful purposes" was not awarded to me at this time). I love to shoot and being a working family man I need to store guns so that I can run the erands of dayto day living and go to the range or IDPA events too. I respect the combined knowledge and experience of the posts I read here, do you think I am making a mistake to permanantlyfasten a safe in my trunk? I figure it will give me great peace of mind, but never considered it would be frowned upon by the law!

Dave C

I don't think it will be frowned upon at all provided that it is done "properly" as mentioned above.I think it is a rather good idea for functional and safety storage purposes for you b/c of your situation.

I have a pelican box, which I can padlock, and which I can attach to a seat post with a cable lock. I can further camouflage the pelican box with some crap over it. I can also use a steering wheel lock (like the CLUB - I know it's not too hard to defeat) along with the oem security alarm in my SUV to prevent the vehicle itself from being stolen.

This will certainly prevent a smash and grab, and will discourage a would be car thief, although admittedly if someone wants it bad enough they'll get it.

Of course, this is for outside of Mass where car storage is not frowned upon by some police chiefs.

I have a Console Vault that I've found very helpful. They can be found at http://www.consolevault.com/ and the vault fits in the center console of your truck, SUV, etc. Installation takes no more than 15 minutes (with my 3 little kids 'helping me') and the vault bolts directly to the frame (at least on my Tacoma). The bolts can only be accessed from inside the safe and mine weighs somewhere in the neighborhood of 8-10 lbs - so it is very strong. I'm in no way associated with the company, but I'm a really big fan. I believe the MSRP is $279, but you can call 'Tom' via the 800 number and he will knock it down to $229 if you tell him you heard about the safe on ToyotaNation.com.

This allows you to legally carry concealed and store your weapon in your vehicle in a responsible / legal way when you have to run into a post office or other place you can't legally carry. It also allows you to confidently leave your wallet and other valuables in the truck when you are out biking, hiking, hunting, etc.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom