• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

S&W sales plummet

Obamascare 2 / Sandy Hookmaster load has officially been "blown" that's why.

It also doesn't help that S&Ws QC is starting to slip rather dramatically, almost to Sig and Crapber levels.

-Mike

Same thing is going on with Ruger and industry in general. That just means more good deals to come!

Not really. The price of new guns won't fall much. There isn't a lot of overhead/margin in the price of a new gun once it gets to the distributor level. There might be some discounts but they're not going to amount to mouse milk, best case scenario is that some of the overpriced dealers will be forced to bring prices down to what the rest of us are already paying.

-Mike

WTB: your Obama-scare-2013 pistol for good price, not that inflated price you paid

These companies made so much over the last few yrs they should be fine for a yr or 2. I don't wanna hear one complaint from them.

From what I've read, it is not just S&W. The Obama sales boom is over.

Same thing is going on with Ruger and industry in general. That just means more good deals to come!
Yep. This and this. The world's greatest gun salesman ever has finally pooped out... at least until the next "good crisis" comes along.

The company isnt going away. Might be the time to buy some stock

I'd guess that the stock has some ways down to go. I don't think it is yet time to buy.
If it goes below the 52 week low, I'm buying. [grin]

I missed out on the Hewlett-Packard collapse and rebound. I'm not going to miss out on this one.

I'd help them out buying more mags if they weren't so freaking expensive. I'm contemplating moving to Glock just because I can't stand paying $40 a mag.

S&W may have a falling off in sales due to their failures with their trigger locking system and putting them out on their revolvers.

S&W has had those locks on their revolvers for many years now, and I simply don't see that being the cause of declining sales. Do you have a cite for the lock activating when it wasn't supposed to? I have a 4" S&W 500 and I shoot full power loads through it, and it has never locked on me.

S&W has had those locks on their revolvers for many years now, and I simply don't see that being the cause of declining sales. Do you have a cite for the lock activating when it wasn't supposed to?

There are quite a few reports out on the internet about the lock activating by itself. Here are a couple.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...that-yes-a-smith-wesson-revolver-lock-failed/
http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum...8-smith-wesson-internal-lock-failure-fix.html

the gun buying boom is over, same reason there there have been layoffs at Sig and Remington.
I sold the SWHC stock months ago....might be buying again

Obamascare 2 / Sandy Hookmaster load has officially been "blown" that's why.

It also doesn't help that S&Ws QC is starting to slip rather dramatically, almost to Sig and Crapber levels.

-Mike

I wonder how far behind the ammo market returning to normal is. That's a much more interesting issue to me. The cycle in guns is relatively simple, the massive demand spike is a mixture of new demand (new shooters, semi-fudds getting an EBR just because) and forward shifting demand (better buy that rifle I want now in case I want one in the future.

Ammo is different since it's consumable. All of the new shooters have increased the baseline demand. It seems that the manufacturers are being measured in adding capacity because it's so capital intensive (and the expensive equipment probably doesn't have other uses, whereas a CNC milling machine can make anything). They don't want to overshoot the demand and end up where the gun manufacturers are now. However, the time shifting of demand is massive in ammo. Your average shooter used to buy a box or two of ammo on the way to the range once a month. Now that they've seen two panics, they realize if they want to keep shooting monthly, they need to start keeping a year+ of supply on hand. All of the millions of people who used to buy 50 rounds a month now want to buy 1000+ all at once.

OK, so some cases. But out of how many thousands of guns? What is the incidence rate?

Don't take this as pro-lock. I think they're useless and stupid, and I purposely bought a J-frame that didn't have one. But I hardly think that the lock can be attributable to this recent decline in sales, as the poster I was replying to was suggesting.

And I wonder what the numbers have been in the sales spike for Russian made guns since the occupier of the oval office decided to pick a fight with Russia.

They had to have seen this coming. I just think that Wall St. was myopic. I might have to scoop up some S&W stock soon. :D

Back
Top Bottom