• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

S&W Revolver Question

I have recently been looking to purchase a S& W revolver. I check the websites of various gun shops to see what's in stock (new and used) and quickly realized there is a bewildering array of models. It seems that many are similar, but have different model #'s due to material of construction, SS vs. black/blue etc..

Is there a good resource / website / book that displays all of the models side-by-side or something similar to help decipher the different models? I'm aware there are different types of frames, but many more subtleties buried in the model numbers.

Thanks.

I have recently been looking to purchase a S& W revolver. I check the websites of various gun shops to see what's in stock (new and used) and quickly realized there is a bewildering array of models. It seems that many are similar, but have different model #'s due to material of construction, SS vs. black/blue etc..

Is there a good resource / website / book that displays all of the models side-by-side or something similar to help decipher the different models? I'm aware there are different types of frames, but many more subtleties buried in the model numbers.

Thanks.

Here's the best book I could find:
http://www.amazon.com/Standard-Catalog-Smith-Wesson/dp/089689293X

I wasn't really a revolver guy but after i purchesed my 686 it has become my favored gun at the range.

Take a look at the S&W 642CT, Four Seasons in Woburn has a couple pre-owned at a great price. Outstanding carry revolver as primary or back-up. The Crimson Trace design and addition is superb. Gold Dot 135Gr +P, BJHP, specifically made for short barrel revolver is my load of choice. Good luck, in a world full of autos, the revolver has many advantages.

Thanks for all the information guys. I spotted a nice little 38 that would be a good pocket gun and wanted to compare prices & finishes etc.. I came across many very attractive guns during my search and would like to learn more about their entire product line. I am partial to the blue and nickel finishes.

If it's your first one, just buy a 686.

I wasn't really a revolver guy but after i purchesed my 686 it has become my favored gun at the range.

Gotta agree with this. My 686 with 4" barrel is a tack driver. I just ordered a shoulder holster so I can carry it more.

Love the trigger, grips and sights. This gun makes you look real good at the range and 357 magnum is a great round.

I bought mine new at Four Seasons for about $650

MY EFFin lord....prices have spiked. Shows how long since I purchased. I hate my sales in hindsight....gas & time , and TLC over cost! If I was in your shoes I'd definitely buy used.

Last edited:
I had a Model 66 for home defense when I lived in Worcester. I loved that revolver. I'm looking for another one ... almost bought one from Guns 'n Gunparts at the last Big E show (or maybe the prior one) but his CC machine was messed up, and the ATM wouldn't read my card ... It was fate. I never went back to his shop for it. [sad2]

I have two 686s a 4" and a 6" both are great guns super accurate and fun to shoot I did have a second 4" but i traded it for a deer rifle for my son and I miss it . I would love to find a 2" 686 to add to my collection

I have a 6" 686 that's a pussycat with 125gr .357's, a mod 65 that may just be the best combat handgun ever devised, and a 360PD that makes grown male shooters cry and the people in the adjacent stalls say to me, "Excuse me sir, you're muzzle flash is coming into my stall. Would you mind moving over?"

I wholeheartedly recommended any of the 3, and probably any other S&W wheelgun that's not chambered in .327.

a mod 65 that may just be the best combat handgun ever devised
Aye, glad to see I am not alone.

DSC01167.jpg

Back
Top Bottom