S&W M&P rust problem

just an fyi... though I'm sure this has been mentioned before... one should never keep their firearm stored inside a gun case surrounded by foam (unless the firearm is inside a plastic bag or wax paper as most are when they come from the factory so that the firearm is not in direct contact with the foam). The foam traps any moisture there is and keeps it in contact with the gun.

My PD went to the M&P .45 in late 2009. Around the beginning of the next summer, numerous officers reported rusting on the slide in numerous places, but most commonly on the underside of the slide by the rails. I treat my duty weapon like the life saving tool that it is, and even mine had some light rust.

This fall, S&W replaced the slides. From what I heard, there had been a manufacturing issue that it was likely when the slides were blued/coated/dipped (how ever they finish the metal), whoever was working with the slides apparently didn't use gloves and the oils from the workers hand got trapped under the finish.

Whatever the case, it appears S&W did whatever they could to make it right.

So after my initial question to this forum, and the affirming answers, I went and bought a M&P 40c anyway! Go figure. It just points nicely and shoots well. No rust on this one (yet). Will smith and wesson repair it if some does develop even though I bought it used?

Last edited:
So after my initial question to this forum, and the affirming answers, I went and bought a M&P 40c anyway! Go figure. It just points nicely and shoots well. No rust on this one (yet). Will smith and wesson repair it if some does develop even though I bought it used?

Yes, S&W will repair it if needed for any reason. They don't care where/when you bought it (as long as it was made after 1986) or which owner you are. BTDT

I have 3 M&Ps, one bought used and 2 bought new. No rust on any of them.

just an fyi... though I'm sure this has been mentioned before... one should never keep their firearm stored inside a gun case surrounded by foam (unless the firearm is inside a plastic bag or wax paper as most are when they come from the factory so that the firearm is not in direct contact with the foam). The foam traps any moisture there is and keeps it in contact with the gun.

...all my pistols are in the factory cases inside the safe. This is a bad idea?

Thanks guys.
Everything has stayed rust free over the years, they go in well oiled and some with an old oiled cloth in the case as well.

This will open up much room as well.

Go to the S&W web site and look up "Lifetime Service Policy". It technically applies only to the original purchaser, but I've sent 2 guns back to them, both purchased used, and they treated me great.

I could understand that they took great care of me after my 6906 broke a firing pin and it went full auto because the pin was protruding from the breech face by about 1/8".

I was astonished though last year when i had a problem with the bolt on an M&P 15/22 I was using. They insisted I send the entire firearm. They paid for both directions of shipping and had the gun back to me in a couple of weeks.

Nothing made by man is perfect. its nice to know that S&W stands behind their stuff.

Back
Top Bottom