• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ruger's new revolver

That thing is pretty ugly! And I want one! Any one know if its gonna be Ma ok?

No, you would not notice the difference in weight in your pocket.

The wife didn't care for the Airweights' recoil. Perhaps the LCR will be more friendly towards her?
Can't change physics. Light gun with a significant cartridge results in significant recoil. Personally, I can't stand shooting my 642. I doubt the Ruger will be much different in that regard. YMMV.

Interesting. Who needs scandium alloy when you've got plastic? If this works out, it's genius, and makes it kind of tough to pay almost twice the price for a S&W airweight. Any bets on how long before the recall? Given the SR-9 and LCP recalls, I will take November, 2009, for the recall announcement date.

[edit: looks like the S&W model at "twice the price" is the 340; more comparable is the 642 at about the same price].

Last edited:
Can't change physics. Light gun with a significant cartridge results in significant recoil. Personally, I can't stand shooting my 642. I doubt the Ruger will be much different in that regard. YMMV.

I have the S&W 340 which weighs in at about 12oz empty. Forget .357mag in this thing, .38sp is painful enough -- nice to carry, miserable to shoot.

I have the S&W 340 which weighs in at about 12oz empty. Forget .357mag in this thing, .38sp is painful enough -- nice to carry, miserable to shoot.

My 642 is 16 oz and only .38 Spcl. Near as I can tell, the lighter S&W guns just convert $$$ into recoil. I can't see the point to a stubby lighter than a 642 chambered in .357.

My 642 is 16 oz and only .38 Spcl. Near as I can tell, the lighter S&W guns just convert $$$ into recoil. I can't see the point to a stubby lighter than a 642 chambered in .357.

No objective answer here, though even having bought one, I tend to agree. My slight disagreement is related to my paranoia regarding strength of the S&W airweight frame. When I bought the gun I knew I almost certainly wouldn't shoot it with .357mag rounds. But, I liked the idea that the gun was built to withstand this.

I guess I should have been a bit more specific - weight wise, would there be a noticeable difference between the 11.9 ounce S&W and the
13 or 13.5 ounce Ruger?

Not really, but it's an apples-to-crabapples comparison if you're going to be carrying it for self defense. One is a .22, the other is a .38 Special.

<full_thread_jack_mode>
You're not going to wear out a 642. They are carried often and shot little.

The various titanium, scandium, unobtanium J-frames all cost a several hundred bucks more, and they hurt even more when shot with .38 Spcl. Shooting .357 is even worse.
</full_thread_jack_mode>

I'd rather see them bring back the 22LR SP101. Now that S&W has the no lock 642/442, that's what I'm sticking with.

Looks to be a hair lighter and hair longer than the regular airweight j-frame.

I like it though.

One huge plus I see is that the sights are replaceable. I'd love a night sight on my 442.

Looks to be a hair lighter and hair longer than the regular airweight j-frame.

I like it though.

One huge plus I see is that the sights are replaceable. I'd love a night sight on my 442.

Well yea, but only the front sight. The rear consists of a channel in the top strap.

Neat revo though.

Love the 642

It looks like Ruger may have a winner here but they're up against stiff competition with Airweights like the 642. My buddy and I took an all-day snubby course at the Sig Academy last year. We fired about 400 rds of 38 Sp, frangible ammo in 8 hrs. and my hand felt the same at the end of the day as it did at the start. I used the 642 with a Crimson Trace rubber grip that was very comfortable to shoot. While the CT is expensive, if you are an NRA instructor they offer a SIGNIFICANT discount on their products. Just send them a copy of your cert. and they are happy to give you a very good price. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a Mass compliant Ruger.

Back
Top Bottom