• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ruger's new revolver

The MSRP of the LCR without crimson trace is $525. The MSRP of a S&W 442 is $600. Why do people keep saying a 442/642 is sooo much cheaper (besides being available used?). Is the LCR shipping yet, if so what is it actually selling for???

No, I don't think the LCR is shipping yet. Used Airweights can be had at half the price of the LCR that is listed on Ruger's site. Yes I know this is MSRP, but this is the only price we have to work with so far. Does that help? Oh, and one more thing: The airweight is made out of metal. The LCR is plastic. The LCR is only 1.5 Oz. lighter than the 442 Airweight. I'm just saying, what's the point?

Last edited:
No, I don't think the LCR is shipping yet. Used Airweights can be had at half the price of the LCR that is listed on Ruger's site. Yes I know this is MSRP, but this is the only price we have to work with so far. Does that help? Oh, and one more thing: The airweight is made out of metal. The LCR is plastic. The LCR is only 1.5 Oz. lighter than the 442 Airweight. I'm just saying, what's the point?

I think you're still pissed off at Bill Ruger for the famous ten round quote. He's dead and the Ruger family doesn't even have a controlling interest in the company anymore. So lay aside your personal predjudices (remember S&W was on everybody's sh**t list at one time too).

The reality of the situation is until we can get a baseline "street price" everything about this new revolver is going to be extremely subjective. I find your rekmarks about the plastic amusing because it is the same kind of crap I used to hear about Glocks and we all know what loser guns they turned out to be [smile].

Am I predjudiced or subjective ? You damn betcha I am...'cuz I'm a Ruger stockholder and I want to see a whole bushel and a peck of these new revolvers sold...so the pot is calling the kettle black here, but you should be a little more honest about it..that's all.

BK you're a good guy...but on this one...well..'nuff said.

Regards,

Mark L.

I think you're still pissed off at Bill Ruger for the famous ten round quote. He's dead and the Ruger family doesn't even have a controlling interest in the company anymore. So lay aside your personal predjudices (remember S&W was on everybody's sh**t list at one time too).

Correct. And S&W is still on my shitlist for putting useless locks on perfectly good guns. However, there are cheap pre-lock airweights to be had.

I find your rekmarks about the plastic amusing because it is the same kind of crap I used to hear about Glocks and we all know what loser guns they turned out to be [smile].

Well, you need not be amused. Because I do not like Glocks at all. I my experience, and in my own personal opinion, compared to the automatics that I do like, namely 1911s, they're relatively innacurate, have a trigger that feels like dragging a fat man kicking and screaming uphill through the mud on a rope, point terribly, handle recoil horribly, and have a handle that feels like the broad end of a baseball bat. Glocks are reliable guns and they are perfect for some people, but they are also borderline useless for others. And my experience with them and opinion of them is not a good one for the reasons listed. So I don't really think that you can argue the Glock point or make that comparison.

Am I predjudiced or subjective ? You damn betcha I am...'cuz I'm a Ruger stockholder and I want to see a whole bushel and a peck of these new revolvers sold...so the pot is calling the kettle black here, but you should be a little more honest about it..that's all.

What should I be more honest about? I don't own stock in S&W, I don't think that there is a benefit to one gun that is 1.5 Oz. lighter and has a plastic frame. I personally have always thought that the feel of a S&W, the trigger, the action, etc., was supperior to the Ruger double actions, I've had Ruger internals break(transfer bars), but never a Smith. The airweights, like I said can still be had used for pretty cheap.

So, I definately think that I did make a pretty honest argument. You may not agree with me, but I feel that I can certainly look at all of that evidence and form the opinion that I did, which was more or less that the Ruger is solving a problem that does not exist, and a better gun can be had for less money (Of course, like you and others pointed out, this is only speculation because all we have is MSRP. But if I were a gambling man.....) And I certainly still do feel that it is a marketing move, not a move toward a solution to a problem to make a polymer framed revolver. Now, let us all turn into good consumers and get our wallets out.

Mark, you're a good guy too. I like you, take care.

Last edited:
That gun isn't just ugly. It's grotesquely, hideously ugly. If I had to carry that gun, I'd shoot it through my pocket, just so I wouldn't have to take it out and look at it.

That gun isn't just ugly. It's grotesquely, hideously ugly. If I had to carry that gun, I'd shoot it through my pocket, just so I wouldn't have to take it out and look at it.

Naah - just take it out of your pocket (carefully averting your eyes, of course) and the bad guys will run away in horror. No need to shoot at all.

I just picked up one of these this afternoon. It was NIB at Riley's for $449. It was cheaper than all the variations of the J Frame S&W .38's they had in stock. (I went specifically looking for a 442, didn't expect to see a Ruger LCR in stock yet.)

My first impression is that this is a very well put together little revolver. It is extremely light. I compared it to a 642 in the shop today and they felt about equal with the LCR maybe being ever so slightly lighter. It fits my hand well and the trigger pull is nice and smooth. I got the model without the CT grips.
The front sight is a very long black ramp. It is pinned is place so should be reasonably easy to replace if I dislike it. The Hogue rubber grips are very comfortable in the hand. I have an Uncle Mike's pocket holster that fits it but I think I'm going to start searching for other holster options before I make this one my everyday carry. I plan on taking it to the range this week and I'll add more then.
Pics here:
http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=924736&postcount=108

Back
Top Bottom