• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ruger SR22

Love mine. It's been very reliable and shoots everything except Winchester rounds. My 10/22 suffers from the same problem. I've had it since august 2013 and it's been a great little gun.

Interesting about the Winchester, as another guy mentioned problems with those a few posts back. I've tried a few different brands without any issues, but none were Winchester. At least I know what to avoid now, thanks! I bought mine literally as soon as they became available in MA, so maybe the later ones have gone down in quality? Around the timeframe when I bought it, there were no bad reviews to be found, so it seems something has happened since then.

Got SR22 back from Ruger today and had this note with it. Also spoke to their customer services twice - quite an experience.
First time It went back, a few months ago, it had a new barrel. This time it's had a few other things - see photo of letter.
They were adamant the wouldn't replace the gun, though just about every component has been swapped out, bar the frame!
I explained I didn't want a replacement, I just wanted a refund, that wasn't going to happen.
They were quite sure my problems were all down to ammo. I explained that the pistol needed to be fit for purpose for average quality ammo available.
They then seemed to be ok that 10% failure rate during their testing with their ammo was acceptable!

I have wasted too much time and effort on this now. If I keep it, I'll only shoot CCI or Super Extra Agulia
Preferably I will part exchange it with the supplying gun shop and never trouble Ruger with a purchase of one of their firearms ever again.

IMG_0819_zpsc3c88489.jpg

Got SR22 back from Ruger today and had this note with it. Also spoke to their customer services twice - quite an experience.
First time It went back, a few months ago, it had a new barrel. This time it's had a few other things - see photo of letter.
They were adamant the wouldn't replace the gun, though just about every component has been swapped out, bar the frame!
I explained I didn't want a replacement, I just wanted a refund, that wasn't going to happen.
They were quite sure my problems were all down to ammo. I explained that the pistol needed to be fit for purpose for average quality ammo available.
They then seemed to be ok that 10% failure rate during their testing with their ammo was acceptable!

I have wasted too much time and effort on this now. If I keep it, I'll only shoot CCI or Super Extra Agulia
Preferably I will part exchange it with the supplying gun shop and never trouble Ruger with a purchase of one of their firearms ever again.

View attachment 119351

Do you have federal champion 36gr cphp or winchester wildcat 40gr lrn for me to test in my SR22? I would be more than happy to test them for you and video it to show that it either should or shouldn't have problems with it. you can send it to Ruger to show them what a normal SR-22 should run. My Sr-22 has run everything I put into it so far though I haven't tested non jacketed bullets. my 10/22 will shoot anything except american eagle under rapid fire.

Interesting about the Winchester, as another guy mentioned problems with those a few posts back. I've tried a few different brands without any issues, but none were Winchester. At least I know what to avoid now, thanks! I bought mine literally as soon as they became available in MA, so maybe the later ones have gone down in quality? Around the timeframe when I bought it, there were no bad reviews to be found, so it seems something has happened since then.

I had trouble with the the win super X also. FTF

I get frequent stuck cases (FTE) with Federal Gold Medal:

View attachment 119396

My SR22 did the same thing. It either worked damn-near perfect or it would have FT-extraction on every round.

Ammo that absolutely stuck nearly every case included:
-Federal American Eagle (regardless of bullet gr)
-Winchester LF "varmint" ammo

Ammo that worked fine for me:
-golden bullet
-winchester M22
-anything CCI
-Fiocchi
-Aguila superextra

there were some other types that gave me issues as well but I can't remember. overall it isn't a big deal....once I figured out what it liked I just stuck with that ammo and bought it any chance I had....the stuff it didn't like I would avoid....pretty simple stuff it's not astrophysics.

The SR22 is still pretty incredible WRT reliability. even weak rounds would cycle it just fine. the only 22 I have owned that is on par is my Ruger 22/45 which I would never sell.

My SR22 did the same thing. It either worked damn-near perfect or it would have FT-extraction on every round.

Mine will only cycle that on the first mag, mag two I'll get two of those, mag 3, I have to manually eject and chamber every round. (My 10/22 eats it just fine though) No issues with the American Eagle tho.

Thanks. I was starting to feel a little left out with all these posts about flawless SR22's.

Thanks. I was starting to feel a little left out with all these posts about flawless SR22's.

Haha, yeah, no you're not alone. My FFL has one that is much more picky than mine. He's limited to a handful of ammo choices, and I've read a lot fo reviews that they can be picky.

Mine is new and only has about 500 through it, but since day one, I'll sit at home at night and rack the slide a couple hundred times, and dry fire it too, trying to "break it in". But yeah it loved the golden Remington, CCI, auguila or however you spell it, American Eagle and even the rebranded junk that came with my GSG. (What a pile of horse apples my GSG is by the way. I can't even tell you how disappointed I was in that rifle. It's so bad I refuse to sell it, because I'm not looking to give someone else that headache.)

Wow, I am surprised to see all these issues popping up with the SR22. I've run a lot of different ammo through mine without one hiccup.

Maybe you are all a bunch of limp wristers.[rofl]

I had some fte issues during the first couple hundred rounds and since then its been smooth sailing no matter what cheap junk ammo I push through it. Great little gun, too bad it sounds like they have some quality issues now.

Wow, I am surprised to see all these issues popping up with the SR22. I've run a lot of different ammo through mine without one hiccup.

Maybe you are all a bunch of limp wristers.[rofl]

I was thinking the same thing, or else maybe quality has suffered a bit in trying to meet the massive demand for this gun after all of the glowing reviews since it's initial debut. Mine is flawless and will be with me for a very long time to come.

Sounds like the gun is hit or miss.....now I kinda don't want one

It's a fun little pistol. I don't think (although I'm not an expert) you are going to find too many semi-auto rimfires in that price range that aren't going to be a bit picky with ammo.

And like I've said in this thread or another, my 10/22 eats all the ammo this pistol won't so... I can buy anything and it will get shot.

Interesting to read all the comments.
Thanks JHO for the offer but I have very little of anything ammo wise right now.
I mentioned to Ruger that feedback in general was that some seemed ok and others picky, from stuff I’d read generally on the net.
The woman said this was probably down to ‘manufacturing tolerances,’ but didn’t seem that interested.
It’s a shame when companies don’t listen to their end users.
I know it’s a cheap pistol, but I’d be willing to pay more for one that works with average quality ammo available.

I have a 9mm and just want a pistol with cheaper ammo and good for target shooting. Needs to be reliable and not overly ammo fussy.
Anyone recommend another .22 or a different caliber that fits the bill?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom