• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ruger SR22

My brother gas one. I'd rather have some thing with a longer barrel.
So I got a .22 conversion for my 1911.
It's a fun little gun I've borrowed when I went with my dad to plink .

What termantor03 said. I put my brother gun in safe mode all the time cause it's the reverse of my 1911

Exactly my point! I am used to a down sweep off safety, so that is just not instinctive to me and more often then not, when I haven't used it for awhile, find myself with a "limp trigger" when taking the first shot after sweeping off the safety. Very annoying problem, and like I said, the only reason I wouldn't carry it as a BUG.

Shot some stinger rounds today in the ole SR22, they have a nice little bang to them, they were cool to shoot but I won't go out of my way to find them, they cost more and ain't to much different than the golden bullet IMHO.

Tim

To go along with everyone else, its an awesome little plinker. About the only thing that keeps it from being "perfect" to even carry as a BUG is the crappy safety mechanism that not only disengages the trigger completely, but is also opposite from most guns in direction. Because my SR9c is my EDC, I would never want a BUG that had an opposite safety because under stress, the manual of arms has to be the same to ensure instinctive operation. Some people might suggest "not using the safety at all", but my belief is that you should practice with a safety if your gun is equipped with one because it could very easily become engaged and not fire when needed in a stressful situation. Having a safety that disengages your trigger completely is not something I would trust my life to either. For a fun range gun, the SR22 is about as perfect as you can get - especially for the price! There are some excellent .22 revolvers out there from both S&W, and Ruger, but they are also double the price. I bought this as a cheaper way to practice semi auto pistol shooting with a similar feel and sight radius to my EDC, and this is about as close as it gets. As others have said, mine has eaten any ammo I've tried in it, and doesn't rely only on high powered rounds like many .22 semis on the market. I literally bought mine as soon as my LGS was able to get them after they became compliant a year, or 2 ago.

+1 on the safety, that really bothered me about this gun to the point I almost didn't buy it, I just try to leave it off I never want to get used to flipping a safety up

great gun for the money. ive got just over 3k rounds through mine. no major problems with the gun. sometimes i get a misfire or two but thats the ammo and not the guns fault. i havent had many ftf's and i am pleased with that.

bob

Got a pair of Williams fire Sights today, part # 70987, HEADS UP don't buy them they do not fit without a 10 pound sledge hammer, they are machined a few thousands to big and would need to be forced into place, since they are metal there is no give at all so it would be a fight with out filing them, I am not going to keep something that is advertized to fit and have to modify it, I gave up and sent them back before I ruined my slide.

Tim [angry]

Last edited:
HiViz just came out with a front sight for it. says no tools needed for install.... I wonder if the original front sight comes out fairly easily.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The Ruger factory sights push out pretty easy and go back in with little trouble, I have a HiViz sight on my GP100 that fits like a glove, I'll give the new HiViz sight a look.

Thanks
Tim

Last edited:
Anyone have trouble with theirs shooting consistently left? Mine shoots left no matter who shoots it, even after adjusting the sight to both extremes. I go back to my 9mm and I'm right down the middle, so I know it's not me. And yes, I know it is a shorter barrel so it won't be as accurate. I have gotten it better after adjusting, but it's still not centered in.

I am having the EXACT problem! It started somewhere in the last 1,000 rounds. I used to be able to put 10 in a 2" circle at 25'. now the are all to the left and all over the place. I tried adjusting the sights all the way to the right and nothing… I have shot 4 different types of ammo and still the same thing. I'm going to send it back to Ruger in the near future if I can't figure this out.

I took mine to the indoor range at my club this weekend and let me dad shoot it. I never noticed that the gun was quite the little flame thrower until I watch someone else fire it.

The Ruger MK3 is no longer Ma. compliant so unless it's new old stock or used you can't buy them in Ma.
The SR .22 is sweet my wife has one and I like it.

I have the Ruger SR22 and it is a great gun. Its build and shape are great and it eats almost any ammo. I also know a few people who have this gun and they love it too. We are all in MA. I am having issues with Ruger lately and their once great quality control and customer service but that's another story. The SR22 is a great gun for 22lr plinking.

I'll be adding an SR22 and a 10/22 to the collection in a a month or so. Tax return! Cha ching!

I've scrounged up a decent amount of .22lr from this place and that and don't have a .22 caliber firearm to shoot it yet. [laugh]

Whenever i'm at Wal-mart or Dicks shopping for something, I make my way to the ammo racks just to see what they have. If they have .22, I buy it since it's tough to find. It'll come in handy at some point. [smile]

My SR-22 is almost always along for each range trip. Love that little gun. Mine usually shoots to the right, but I think that is just me and not the gun. Although, when I really focus the sights on the target, I'm usually all over the place and that's with a very light and smooth trigger pull. This summer was the first time it started getting picky with ammo...failure to eject and some stovepiping...I've been using Federal AutoMatch in it ever since and I haven't had a problem.

FFS. All these guys buying .22LR when they don't even have a .22 firearm to shoot it. No wonder .22LR is as rare as Unicorn stool. Are you all buying .50BMG as well? You know they want to ban .50BMG in MA so you better start stockpiling now, even if you don't have something to shoot it yet. [smile]

/sarcasm
/rant

Hi,
I’m very much a newbie.
Got a Glock17 and have been really enjoying shooting it at the range, the past few weeks.
Ammo prices are killin’me, so decided to get an SR22, to burn some stoke for less $! – got it today.
I enquired if it was okay to shoot right out the box or if it needed a lube – ok to go out of the box.
Got to range and first 50 rounds no problem. Used Winchester hollow tip – in a white box and some Aguila. Easy to handle and great to shoot, then it started jamming. Casing was still in the barrel and did not eject. I managed to fish them out, but they felt quite stuck in there.
The slide didn’t feel 100% free – greasy sticky feel.
So decided to take it home, strip it, clean, bore snake and lube it.
The slide is much freer now. There was a fair bit of powder in the barrel and the around the feed ramp for 50 rounds too.
The factory oil was definitely thick and a touch greasy to the feel.

I noticed looking into the barrel from the feed side there is a slight ring about the length of a round into it. Is this normal for a brand new pistol?
Forgive my ignorance but have to start somewhere!

Any other tips on lubing etc to help run smoothly would be appreciated.
I’m kind of stuck running the ammo I can get hold of right now, so just need to make the best of it.

Thanks for any feedback.
p.s. I’ve not been stock piling and only have a few rounds, need to find some quality ammo to see how the SR performs.
Kev

Last edited:
Hi,
I’m very much a newbie.
Got a Glock17 and have been really enjoying shooting it at the range, the past few weeks.
Ammo prices are killin’me, so decided to get an SR22, to burn some stoke for less $! – got it today.
I enquired if it was okay to shoot right out the box or if it needed a lube – ok to go out of the box.
Got to range and first 50 rounds no problem. Used Winchester hollow tip – in a white box and some Aguila. Easy to handle and great to shoot, then it started jamming. Casing was still in the barrel and did not eject. I managed to fish them out, but they felt quite stuck in there.
The slide didn’t feel 100% free – greasy sticky feel.
So decided to take it home, strip it, clean, bore snake and lube it.
The slide is much freer now. There was a fair bit of powder in the barrel and the around the feed ramp for 50 rounds too.
The factory oil was definitely thick and a touch greasy to the feel.

I noticed looking into the barrel from the feed side there is a slight ring about the length of a round into it. Is this normal for a brand new pistol?
Forgive my ignorance but have to start somewhere!

Any other tips on lubing etc to help run smoothly would be appreciated.
I’m kind of stuck running the ammo I can get hold of right now, so just need to make the best of it.

Thanks for any feedback.
p.s. I’ve not been stock piling and only have a few rounds, need to find some quality ammo to see how the SR performs.
Kev

My advise is to run 100-200 rounds of CCI MINI-MAG's through her. After that anything you want. I havent had any issues with mine in about 2k rounds and do keep her wet with Breakfree CLP. Badgb21 where do you shoot?

Back
Top Bottom