• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ruger SR22

Laura

NES Member
I'm planning on getting a range gun for practice and I've settled on one that I like that's hopefully available in Massachusetts. Can anyone tell me if the Ruger SR22 is allowed? I know I could get a Mark III and I know how popular they are, but I want a gun that I don't need a rubber hammer to clean. Thank you.

Sr22 is allowed. I LOVE mine. And by mine I mean I shoot my better halfs all the time. Great gun. Holliston firearms has one in stock I believe

Thank you for the fast replies; this is going to be my first .22 pistol, nice to hear it performs well. :)

I have put about 1000 rounds through mine and I love it, nice snappy little pistol with some CCI, they say it eats everything but I have had some issues with crappy ammo lately, IMHO they are making it to fast and a lot of 22LR is coming through like crap, not that 22LR is all that reliable anyway, thing that stinks is trying to find good 22LR right now.

Tim [grin]

SR22 is available.. Just saw one in the pistol case at on target firearms in dracut! I think almost every gun shop has one!

I bought one for shooting and love it!

Don't have one but I'd like to get one. Hear pretty much nothing but positives, fun to shoot, eats up most ammo etc

They have them all over. I think 4 seasons might have had a deal for a free 3rd mag with it recently. I think $300 and a 3rd if I remember correctly. It might have been an online place though, I'm not 100% certain.

It was my 1st too. I have had great luck with it. The only ammo that it doesn't seem to like is M22. It eats right through CCI low velocity ammo and just about everything else I have fed it.

M&M or Plimoth Bay Outfitters have a few for around 300.00, they are a sweet pistol, not a lot of accessories out there for them right now, but I am sure that will change since they are so popular, I did see a nice set of Williams fiber optic sights on eBay for $ 50.00 bucks, I was thinking about getting them since my eyes ain't what they used to be.

Tim [thumbsup]

Fantastic handgun, was my first gun i bought and makes for a great range gun. Fun to shoot, seldom jams and eats any kind of ammo!

Friend picked one up today...he shot mine and loved it, went to the shop pointed to the one in the case and said he wanted it. Probably one of the quickest sales ever. Think we were in and out of the shop in 15 mins

I got hold of 50 rounds of stinger a few days ago, haven't shot that yet so it should be fun, I'll post back tomorrow after I hit the range.

Tim [grin]

My brother picked one up and we've been shooting the shit out of it.

Once in awhile we get a failure to cycle, but it's not common so not a big deal.

+1 on the SR22. One of the funnest plinking guns i own. They are readily available in MA at a variety of shops for around $300.

Agree with everyone here. The Sr22 is a great little gun that'll eat whatever you feed it. Keep an eye out for a deal at FS, I know they had one with a free 3rd mag recently

Anyone have trouble with theirs shooting consistently left? Mine shoots left no matter who shoots it, even after adjusting the sight to both extremes. I go back to my 9mm and I'm right down the middle, so I know it's not me. And yes, I know it is a shorter barrel so it won't be as accurate. I have gotten it better after adjusting, but it's still not centered in.

Anyone have trouble with theirs shooting consistently left? Mine shoots left no matter who shoots it, even after adjusting the sight to both extremes. I go back to my 9mm and I'm right down the middle, so I know it's not me. And yes, I know it is a shorter barrel so it won't be as accurate. I have gotten it better after adjusting, but it's still not centered in.
Have you put a laser pointer down the barrel?

To go along with everyone else, its an awesome little plinker. About the only thing that keeps it from being "perfect" to even carry as a BUG is the crappy safety mechanism that not only disengages the trigger completely, but is also opposite from most guns in direction. Because my SR9c is my EDC, I would never want a BUG that had an opposite safety because under stress, the manual of arms has to be the same to ensure instinctive operation. Some people might suggest "not using the safety at all", but my belief is that you should practice with a safety if your gun is equipped with one because it could very easily become engaged and not fire when needed in a stressful situation. Having a safety that disengages your trigger completely is not something I would trust my life to either. For a fun range gun, the SR22 is about as perfect as you can get - especially for the price! There are some excellent .22 revolvers out there from both S&W, and Ruger, but they are also double the price. I bought this as a cheaper way to practice semi auto pistol shooting with a similar feel and sight radius to my EDC, and this is about as close as it gets. As others have said, mine has eaten any ammo I've tried in it, and doesn't rely only on high powered rounds like many .22 semis on the market. I literally bought mine as soon as my LGS was able to get them after they became compliant a year, or 2 ago.

Last edited:
My brother gas one. I'd rather have some thing with a longer barrel.
So I got a .22 conversion for my 1911.
It's a fun little gun I've borrowed when I went with my dad to plink .

What termantor03 said. I put my brother gun in safe mode all the time cause it's the reverse of my 1911

Back
Top Bottom