Ruger SR22 break in? Lots of early FTF.

CBL

Just took my new SR22 to the range today and had a few questions about it. Overall im on the fence about it...

The first 100 rounds I put though it were CCI mini mags FMJ. It jammed up the slide where the bullet didn't fully slide into the breach at least every other magazine i put though it. I also I noticed when the action was open you could see the jammed bullet with one side of the lead slightly shaved off, or it would bend/dent the casing. I'm assuming this was the magazine contributing to jamming FTF. Please advise?

Then I put another 100 rounds of mini mag though it, and the above happened 2 to 3 times, once I had to push on the slide all the way closed but it was getting better as I was going through this brick of mini mag.

Then I put some federal value pack 550 JHP through it and every magazine worked flawlessly.

I did clean and oil the gun the night before I took it to the range.

I did put the recoil spring in correctly

The barrel is tight to the frame.

Im curious to hear if this is normal behavior for a new SR22 and if anyone else had similar experiences and if I got better as it got used more.

I have shot 1,000+ rounds through mine with not 1 single issue. CCI minimags, federal bulk, remington bulk, winchester bulk. No issues at all.

This gun eats most every type of ammo. And if you're having issues with Mini Mags, the gun is definitely off. Those are the best cartridges today and I'd contact Ruger or someone who owns a SR22. Not normal at all.

Sent from my carbon covered iPhone

Thanks for the input guys. I Stripped it down one more time and did a very through cleaning and oiling. I did notice some excessive junk around the bottom of the breach and around the slides. I'm going to head back to the range and give it one more whirl through the rest of my federal before I decide to send it back.

FWIW i've had no issues with my new SR22 after a couple hundred rounds off all brands of ammo

We just came back from shooting Mrs. marvelshooters new SR22 and it functioned perfectly. Not a single malfunction in about 100 rounds of mixed ammo.

If you still have issues with yours after shooting it again, I would send it back to Ruger. When they produce millions of guns, I am sure it is not unusual for there to be a bad gun here or there.

Someone probably fell asleep at the machine. [laugh]

So I shot another 500 rounds though the pipe this time and it's performing alot better now. This was the rest of my federal value pack FHP.

Had one failure to extract (had to wedge the shell out of the barrel with a screw driver, not sure if it was an ammo issue because the shell lip was really rounded) and the slide jammed twice. Had to hit the hammer a few times on a couple of rounds, but i blamr it on bad ammo. Overall it's live able at this point as a target gun, think I should still send it back to ruger?

So I shot another 500 rounds though the pipe this time and it's performing alot better now. This was the rest of my federal value pack FHP.

Had one failure to extract (had to wedge the shell out of the barrel with a screw driver, not sure if it was an ammo issue because the shell lip was really rounded) and the slide jammed twice. Had to hit the hammer a few times on a couple of rounds, but i blamr it on bad ammo. Overall it's live able at this point as a target gun, think I should still send it back to ruger?

Screwdriver and a hammer?!!? What are you doing to that poor SR?!

My girlfriends girlfriend, (that sounds more fun than it is...[wink]), just bought an SR-22 a few weeks ago. Started out with MiniMags and then proceeded to feed it anything that we could - including some anonymous loosies in my range bag. Fed 100%...I think you might have an issue...

Yeah, if it is still jamming, etc I would send it back. They may find something wrong with it during a thorough inspection. It may take a few weeks to get it back, but it will be worth it.

Quick update. Explained the problems to Ruger customer service and they told me to send it in immediately. They emailed me a UPS label and told me the turn around times have been pretty good at 7 to 10 days.

Quick update. Explained the problems to Ruger customer service and they told me to send it in immediately. They emailed me a UPS label and told me the turn around times have been pretty good at 7 to 10 days.

Glad to hear it. Yeah you're lucky it's the SR-22, because the Newport NH factory caters to the .22 handguns and the 10/22 Rifle. If you had a SR9c issue, or other centerfire Ruger, you'd have to send it to Prescott AZ. This is why the turnaround is 7-10 days, but Ruger is an excellent company and will fix this problem.

Woot! Ruger is shipping it back. (2 day shipping vs overnight, I thought it was only overnight on firearms to and from manufacture.) Too bad it's not coming back in time where I can try it out ASAP. :-/

my grandson and i have put over 3k through my sr22 with mostly no problems. the only problem was when we used some pmc ammo that i found in the bottom of my safe. it was a brick of standard velocity and it seems that it didnt cycle the slide fully so i was getting ftf's. we switched back to the hi velocity federal bulk the problem disappeared. my conclusion is dont bother using standard velocity in this gun.

bob

Ok so I got my SR22 back today and looked over the invoice. No parts replaced and they "repaired" the Right and left safety. Seems awfully odd to me that the safety would cause this issue. What do you guys think? The work order also mentioned they ran 50 rounds of ammo though it without a problem.

Ran a few hundred rounds though it and seems like everything is working fine now. 100 Rounds of minimag and probably 200 rounds of Winchester bulk JHP.

This is a problem I am having as well. I purchased the SR22, then went directly to the range and did some shooting. Maybe 150 rounds, 2 different mags. Same problem every time. The first 2 or 3 rounds result in a FTF.

I am a bigger guy (The 92fs fits my hand like a dream - to give an idea), So i thought it was my grip. But no amount of altering my grip pressure or support from my weak side did anything to improve this problem. It was exactly what this guy documents in his video...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm having this same failure to feed problem with an SR22 bought yesterday. One or two FTFs per magazine. Shot 50 rds CCI Blazer ammo had between 5 and 10 FTFs.

Will shoot another box today. Ironically, I got this because of its reputation for superior reliability. Sounds like Ruger is good about fixing them anyway.

Back
Top Bottom