Ruger SR22 break in? Lots of early FTF.

mine had a couple issues with blazer and fed bulk at 1st then switched to Mini Mags for 200-300 rounds for a break in then after that i havent had any issues with whatever i throw in her.

**UPDATE** [smile]

OK, back to the range this time with CCI 40grain standard velocity. Blue box. Shot 100 rounds with NO issues. Functioned flawlessly. Ran out of CCI so back to the Federal bulk. Back to FTF issues, right off the bat, first couple of rounds. This pistol does NOT like Federal at all. The most common issue being the failure to feed. No round in the chamber. Again, just like the one in the video.

I called Ruger and got a great CSR. After the usual questions she did not seem in the least bit surprised that the CCI works great and the Federal not so much. Pretty much without coming out and saying it that if the pistol did not like the CCI, then there would be a problem. However, in the same breath, she says the SR should eat just about anything. Hmmm. She wanted to give me a RA but I am not ready for that or convinced it is needed.

The way I see it, this is a great little pistol and if it does not like one type of ammo, no big deal.

Mikelawtown: I was thinking there would be a break in for this pistol. I need to take that into consideration as well. Thank you.

Thanx for the replies. Very helpful. Happy shooting!!

Last edited:
**UPDATE** [smile]

OK, back to the range this time with CCI 40grain standard velocity. Blue box. Shot 100 rounds with NO issues. Functioned flawlessly. Ran out of CCI so back to the Federal bulk. Back to FTF issues, right off the bat, first couple of rounds. This pistol does NOT like Federal at all. The most common issue being the failure to feed. No round in the chamber. Again, just like the one in the video.

I called Ruger and got a great CSR. After the usual questions she did not seem in the least bit surprised that the CCI works great and the Federal not so much. Pretty much without coming out and saying it that if the pistol did not like the CCI, then there would be a problem. However, in the same breath, she says the SR should eat just about anything. Hmmm. She wanted to give me a RA but I am not ready for that or convinced it is needed.

The way I see it, this is a great little pistol and if it does not like one type of ammo, no big deal.

Mikelawtown: I was thinking there would be a break in for this pistol. I need to take that into consideration as well. Thank you.

I just got a SR22. Fired probably 200 rds of the federal fresh seal 325 ct HPs with a FTF probably once every mag. I just found a brick of CCI standard. I hope mines just like yours. Ill post back after I get a chance to run some through it.

I just got a SR22. Fired probably 200 rds of the federal fresh seal 325 ct HPs with a FTF probably once every mag. I just found a brick of CCI standard. I hope mines just like yours. Ill post back after I get a chance to run some through it.

Let us know. I'm willing to bet yours likes the CCI as well.

There are so many variable here. Those that have experienced no issues could just as well have hit the "right" ammo right off the bat. Once broken in, it will now eat anything. Some of us? Maybe we hit the "wrong" ammo right off the bat. I dunno. Still enjoying the SR, that I know. [smile]

It loves Blazer also. Not 1 issue after a few hundred quick rounds. Break it in for 2-300 Rds and then give it a good cleaning, i like Frog Lube and try the Fed Bulk again and please give us an Update...

Let us know. I'm willing to bet yours likes the CCI as well.

There are so many variable here. Those that have experienced no issues could just as well have hit the "right" ammo right off the bat. Once broken in, it will now eat anything. Some of us? Maybe we hit the "wrong" ammo right off the bat. I dunno. Still enjoying the SR, that I know. [smile]

I just got back from the range. Fired 150 rds of CCI Standard 40gr. ZERO issues. Had to have been that the federal can i got was junk or this gun just doesn't like it.

Guys, with all honesty, SR22 is not a defensive weapon, nor it is a competition gun. I have watched so many rimfire challenges where people throw away the stage just because of a malfunction. .22s suck. If you want to compete - you find the ammo that never fails and you stick and train with it... SR22 claims to eath all kinds of ammo, but we get whay we can these days and it ain't the best anyway...

I took mine to the range a few times, never had a problem.
Two nights ago after a fresh cleaning, I tried to rapid fire and the slide and spring threw itself off the gun down range. Happened two more times. (the take down lever would open itself up)
Finally loaded a whole new magazine and rapid fired all 10 rounds without a problem.

Called Ruger and I shipped it to them today. Should know more in a few days what the deal is. I am guessing the take down lever is malfunctioning.

Embrarassing at the range that I had to call a cease fire 3 times and crawl under the counter to go down range to retrieve the parts..

I actually sold my Walther P22 (1st version) I hated that P O S...Loved the way it felt but every other round would not fire. dif mags, still the same, diff ammo brands , still did it. so gonzo it went. I really like the SR22. Maybe i'll head to Bobs tues or wed to throw a few down range.

Got mine from mark as well. Got close to 3000 rounds through it. Looks brand new. Only Issue I ever had was using thunderbolts which leaded up my barrel

I did notice that with the CCI standards that the feed ramp had a decent amount of lead on it after 150 rds.

I'm glad I randomly ran across this thread. I thought my misfeeding SR22 was just me (first time with it at the range, after having cleaned and oiled it, shooting with CCI ammo). I think I'll give Ruger a call.

I'll have to go with the typical response: I have had zero FTF's w/my SR22. The gun eats everything flawlessly. I'd concur that your best bet might be to contact Ruger and see what the suggest.

Been having some issues with feeding and a few that didn't get extracted, I got just about 400 rounds through it, I am going to clean it well and see what happens next time out, it does seems like some tight tolerances in the barrel to me, hoping for a little more use to loosen her up some.

Tim

Been having some issues with feeding and a few that didn't get extracted, I got just about 400 rounds through it, I am going to clean it well and see what happens next time out, it does seems like some tight tolerances in the barrel to me, hoping for a little more use to loosen her up some.

Tim

Good luck, Tim. Mine's been flawless from day one. What ammo are you using?

I had a bunch of mixed stuff at first I got in a bulk buy, then switched to Winchester wildcat, then to the new Winchester M22, the M22 worked best but I did have a few issues within 50 rounds, it's not bad mind ya! but enough to get me thinking this ain't the rep this pistol has.

Tim

I had a bunch of mixed stuff at first I got in a bulk buy, then switched to Winchester wildcat, then to the new Winchester M22, the M22 worked best but I did have a few issues within 50 rounds, it's not bad mind ya! but enough to get me thinking this ain't the rep this pistol has.

Tim

Well, after about 50 rounds of gummy oooold ammo I'd found in my grandfather's basement, I noticed it started almost failing to go into battery. I cleaned up the gummy waxy residue and it was good again. Maybe that bulk buy ammo gummed things up? Maybe a good scrubbing (especially the chamber) would help??

Last edited:
**UPDATE** [smile]

Mine does not like federal either.

Blazer, CCI standard and mini mags, winchester X, Remington Golden all ok.

Ok finally got back to the range today with my Ruger SR22, I used Winchester M22 and had no problem until around the 100 rounds fired area then it started to have problems extracting, I ran a brush through the barrel and it helped, I then started using my CCI rounds and had no problems at all, the CCI is more expensive but it does shoot way better and has a smart little kick, I like em :)

Tim [thumbsup]

Was out in sub-freezing temps the other day and had numerous fte and ftf, whereas it had been flawless previously. Even had a couple of duds! These were all CCI. Not certain, but given the temps I'm inclined to blame the grease I used.

Stripped it all out and have only a very light coating of Gunzilla CLP on the sliding parts now. Hopefully no more reliability issues!!

Stripped it all out and have only a very light coating of Gunzilla CLP on the sliding parts now. Hopefully no more reliability issues!!

I use Gunzilla also, it is pretty light and seems to clean and lubricate good, being a mechanic lubrication is one of my better areas of knowledge when it come to machinery, But add gun power residue and it is a new thing for me, Still I don't think I have a lube problem as much as tight tolerances, I ain't complaining the gun fires good and cost zilch to blast off 200 rounds.

Tim

I went sunday to Bobs and have neglected the SR22 so i brought it and 150rds of Blazer (inexpensive) shot a 3 inch target at 40 feet with no problems. Blazer is known to have a light wax residue but has always been perfect in the Ruger. I only use Break Free CLP in all my firearms and have had great results so far.

Just figured I'd chime in... I've had an SR22 for a few months and have had failure to extract issues since new. It never resolved no matter how many times I cleaned and lubed it so I sent it in a couple of weeks ago. I got it back and that issue is resolved by way of replacing the slide assembly. So far so good. The gun doesn't shoot straight though. Apparently when they slap a new slide on there they pound a few rounds through it to test it and send it back with no consideration as to whether it shoots straight or not. I mean it's WAY off to the left. Problem is that I have to pull the front sight all the way left and rear sight all the way right in order to shoot straight. I've taken the barrel out before for a thorough cleaning so I'm gonna take it off again and make sure things are straight. It has a locator so I can't see how it can be off but I'll give it a try. The slide is pretty sloppy too. I guess at $300 you don't get tight tolerances...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom