Ruger SR22 break in? Lots of early FTF.

I have thousands of rounds through mine with zero problems and I have never cleaned it . my laser battery did finally die though . With all my ruger 22 autos i very rarely clean them and they seem to be more relialble that way.. My smith 41 is just the opposite after about 300 rounds it needs to be cleaned

Ahahahha didn't use a hammer. Just a small screwdriver gently push the shell out of the breach. Like i said,For some reason the extractor wasn't hooking onto that shell for some reason.
I would use a short wooden dowel, or aluminum cleaning rod, to push the case out. You risk scratching the gun up with a screwdriver.

I'm having this same failure to feed problem with an SR22 bought yesterday. One or two FTFs per magazine. Shot 50 rds CCI Blazer ammo had between 5 and 10 FTFs.

Will shoot another box today. Ironically, I got this because of its reputation for superior reliability. Sounds like Ruger is good about fixing them anyway.

Update: Called dealer. He said to try different ammo. Shot 40 rds CCI Mini Mags with zero FTF or other problems. So that's good but wonder why CCI Blazers no good in my SR22 when others here and elsewhere say their SR22s shoot all kinds of ammo. Dealer said Blazers are "cheap". I paid him 0.08 per round for Blazers ... Is that cheap?

I've shot over 2k of mixed everything on the r22 (including blazer), not 1 issue. It's been pretty damn reliable.

I have had the same issue, eventually it will even FTF minimags, not often, but enough to doubt the "superior reliability" of the gun. I just take it for what it is - a range toy and overall it feeds well with all kinds of ammo

so far my sr22 has ate every think I put in it with out any problems even 18 year old winchester ammo that was sitting in my rifle case

I was getting som FTF's on mine, using Aquila Super extra's. Gave it a good cleaning and oiled up the slide and ejector with a good dose of
rem oil spray. Gave it a good wipedown and it worked great the next day. I have been getting some ftf's here and there since I have owned it. If it keeps up I may take mine back. I have already taken it back for slide wear.

Update 1/4/13:
20 rds Blazers 4 FTE, 1 FTF
10 rds CCI Mini-Mags OK
20 rds Federal AutoMatch OK
So for my SR22, Blazers don't work.

150 rounds all minimags through mine, not a single problem.

Looks like even Ruger is not perfect however.

You have to think though with the enormous popularity of the gun, there's bound to be some problems right?

I've sporadically had FTFs on the first shot out of a magazine. It's always only on the first feed. The rest of the magazine goes perfectly. And it's not like it happens every time either. I can't see any pattern around it. Federal and Winchester are all I've used for ammo so far.

might not be high velocity. my walther p22 wont feed mine loves the blazer grey and black box just stinks cause its dirty lead.. could also be tight magazines leave then fully loaded for 2 or 3 days then retry.

I just picked up a new SR22 last Thursday and my only complaint is the magazines. They do not seem to be very well constructed and seem to let the bullets shift side to side, not keeping them very neatly stacked. I shot through almost 150 rounds and had 2 misfeeds (both caused by the magazine). One of them, the bullet must have gotten hung up and then got vertical so it didn't feed correctly.

Anyone know where I can get better quality magazines?

Besides the magazine, I really enjoyed shooting it. I was at a 10 yd indoor range and at that distance all 150 rounds I shot were within a 5" diameter (as a novice shooter, that's not bad for me and I wasn't shooting slow).

might not be high velocity. my walther p22 wont feed mine loves the blazer grey and black box just stinks cause its dirty lead.. could also be tight magazines leave then fully loaded for 2 or 3 days then retry.

Good idea about the magazines. I think I'll try that.

I just picked up a new SR22 last Thursday and my only complaint is the magazines. They do not seem to be very well constructed and seem to let the bullets shift side to side, not keeping them very neatly stacked. I shot through almost 150 rounds and had 2 misfeeds (both caused by the magazine). One of them, the bullet must have gotten hung up and then got vertical so it didn't feed correctly.

Anyone know where I can get better quality magazines?

Besides the magazine, I really enjoyed shooting it. I was at a 10 yd indoor range and at that distance all 150 rounds I shot were within a 5" diameter (as a novice shooter, that's not bad for me and I wasn't shooting slow).

I think it is common for shells to stagger in magazines due to the flange on the shell itself. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I am having some real bad issues myself. Pardon the horrible bumpy camera, i used my phone and didnt have a tripod.

Last edited by a moderator:
I plan on calling today. I wanted to post the videos up on youtube so i could email them the link. From what i read, the issues i am having are not normal.

I've had my SR22 since the tax-free weekend, I've probably put 1,000 rounds through it without a single problem. So this weekend my friend buys one on my recommendation. We go shooting on Sunday and she's only able to shoot the first round out of each mag - then it hangs up. We put my mag in her gun and it shoots perfectly. Looking at the two mags side by side, it's obvious that the little lips at the top are angled in too much on her mag. She called Ruger yesterday morning and they're sending out a new mag.

I've had my SR22 since the tax-free weekend, I've probably put 1,000 rounds through it without a single problem. So this weekend my friend buys one on my recommendation. We go shooting on Sunday and she's only able to shoot the first round out of each mag - then it hangs up. We put my mag in her gun and it shoots perfectly. Looking at the two mags side by side, it's obvious that the little lips at the top are angled in too much on her mag. She called Ruger yesterday morning and they're sending out a new mag.

Was she having the same issues i did on my videos?

Leewongfei,

Those tables and snowbanks look real familiar, I think I was just there sunday with my SR22. Up to 250 rounds of mini-mags and only one FTF.

You can try one of my mags if it helps you out. LMK.

Paul

Leewongfei,

Those tables and snowbanks look real familiar, I think I was just there sunday with my SR22. Up to 250 rounds of mini-mags and only one FTF.

You can try one of my mags if it helps you out. LMK.

Paul

Absolutely, i will send you a PM and work out a time.
Thanks a million!

Mines eaten everything I've put through it, 5 or 6 different types now. I've only had 3 malfunctions, 2 failure to load with Winchester super x (I believe it was an issue with the mag not completely seated) and 1 jam with federal auto match which I think may have been also a mag issue. Might not have been seated all the way and looks like the rim got hung up in the mag somehow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UPDATE:

Met Leewongfei at the range today. It was his ammo. His SR22 does not like the Federal bulk.

He started out, 4/10 FTF and/or failure to eject.

Tried my mag with his ammo, same thing, jamming up bigtime.

Tried his mag with CCI ammo, shot fine.

Went to my gun, Fedral bulk, 3/10 FTF.

Went back to mine and CCI minimags and 75 rounds down range no problem.

To boot his gun was clean, I've never cleaned mine in ~400 rounds.

Old thread I know but thought any input will help those having issues with their SR22. My wife picked one up new on Friday and today we took it to the range. Does NOT like Federal bulk. Operated much like the guy's in that video. I had some CCI 40 grain standard velocity and it cycled flawlessly including two clips worth of rapid firing. The clips seem weird to me. Is this just me and my inexperience with 22 auto loaders or is there something wrong with the way the rounds sit in the clip? They shift from side to side and will not stack directly one on the other. This cannot help things or am I over thinking this and the FTF's? I am calling Ruger in the morning and get their take on this.

Thoughts?

The mags are the way the are supposed to be. Rimmed cartridges cannot be stacked on top of each other and need some kind of "weaving"...

Mine fails to feed cheap hollowpoints from time to time, but not like Ruger Marks... I may get 1 ftf per mag, Mark III would not feed them at all

Back
Top Bottom