• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ruger refusing to repair Red Label shotgun

Too bad, I liked Ruger.

Sent in my red label for an ejection issue (both spent shells stick and have to be pushed out of the barrel from the business end. Lower shell sticks worse than the top)...received a call that they are no longer repairing Red Label shotguns and instead offered me a 'discounted' replacement at over $1100...are you effing kidding me? So let me get this straight, you want to replace my $1200 over under with an $1100 over under that's probably going to have the same issue down the road? Shame shame, know your name. Sturm Ruger you have lost a loyal customer...I know that doesn't mean much to a company so large, but it means something to me.

FTR, I didn't give the lady hell on the phone...she wasn't the one making the decision...but man, I am heated!

This afternoon I'm driving the shotgun out to Rust Blue in Natick to see if he can work his magic and make the damn thing work like it should again.

shotguns are not rugers strong suite, my advice...sell that boat anchor when it's repaired, buy a quality o/u. beretta comes to mind.

Ask to speak with her supervisor. The first line of phone answerers are hired for their ability to say no.

Sounds like a small problem, and shame on Ruger for not helping you through it.

Was this happening with ALL brands and types of ammo?

What brand, what type, what gauge?

Some of us here might be able to help.

I was thinking of sending mine in a while back because of shells occasionally sticking. Tied several different brands of ammo and found the only ammo that ever stuck was the Winchester White. I don't shoot the Ruger often, but I've never once had a stuck shell after eliminating WWB.

Regardless, I've heard awesome things about their service. I'd call and talk to someone else.

Call back, ask to speak to manager, ask if they'll reimburse the repair fee since they no longer are working on them.

Ruger has a history of throwing owners of older model guns under the bus. Sometime prior to 1987, I got a great deal on a Ruger Security 6, apparently because of light primer strikes.

I bought a new mainspring and the gun runs like new.

Ruger was unable to sell a replacement hammer (I wanted to try bobbing it) as the part was "unavailable".

I'm still puzzled by this since reference materials report that the Security Six was made up until 1988.

Last edited:
Sounds like a small problem, and shame on Ruger for not helping you through it.

Was this happening with ALL brands and types of ammo?

What brand, what type, what gauge?

Some of us here might be able to help.

I've only used herters 71/2 for clays since I bought the gun...it's the cheap stuff at Cabela's...never really occurred to me that my ammo could be the issue, but it makes a lot of sense.

- - - Updated - - -

How old is the shoty? If it's more than 5, I wouldn't sweat a $100 loss

I think you read the original post incorrectly. Essentially they wanted to sell me another gun for $100 off the original price...and NOT reimburse me for my gun.

- - - Updated - - -

How many shells have you put through it, OP? Please let us know.

I bought it used, so I can't speculate.

Ruger has a history of throwing owners of older model guns under the bus. Sometime prior to 1987

I heard this too, someone posted that they won't fix their 44 Carbines anymore, I still have one that works fine, but I'm hesitant to use it now. And that's a gun that was in production for over 25 years, they made tons of them, not so much with the Red Labels.

Promotional shells with steel case heads are known to be problematic.

Is your gun 12GA?

Try a few different types of ammo before doing anything with the gun.

I've never had trouble with either Remington Gun Club or Federal Top Gun for low cost ammo. Then there's Winchester AA and Remington STS if you want to spoil yourself.

We had an issue with shells sticking while using Herters 7 1/2 out of my sons 20 gauge 870. Try some quality shells like Winchester AA hopefully that will solve the problem.

is it a pre 2010 model...... I mean WTF they made the red label for what 30 years..... is there no one in the Ruger franchise that can fix a shotgun.....sad I bet if you asked one of the fine ladies on the assembly line they could fix it.!
Also they should have a net work of reliable "authorized repair centers for just this thing...

I never have been inside a red label but I would imagine either the ejectors themselves are hanging up on a burr or the spring,plunger,guide is gummed up.
Do the ejectors work with out a shell in them?

good luck I found this on Ruger Web site

There are no parts and no service available for the below discontinued products that were produced in Newport, NH.

Red Label Shotguns (serial # beginning with "400-" or "410-") 10/22 Magnum Rifles New Model Single-Six SSM
Trap Shotgun Single Six .17 Hunter Convertible Mach 2 Cylinders .44 Magnum Carbine Rifles (original model)
Red Label Wood Side M77 Mark II Rifles in Short Ultra-Mag Calibers 96 Series Lever Action
AC-556 M77 Mark II Express Rifles Old Army
.357 Maximum Revolvers 77/50 Blackpowder Rifles Deerfield
180 Series Mini-14 rifles (serial # beginning with "180-") Security Six Revolvers Hawkeye Pistols
"Old Model" (three-screw) single-action revolvers - (Free Factory Safety Offer) No. 3 Rifles Tang Safety Model 77 Riflese tid bit on the ruger web site

Last edited:
Promotional shells with steel case heads are known to be problematic.

Is your gun 12GA?

Try a few different types of ammo before doing anything with the gun.

I've never had trouble with either Remington Gun Club or Federal Top Gun for low cost ammo. Then there's Winchester AA and Remington STS if you want to spoil yourself.

Yes, 12 gauge. Well...here it comes...wait for it...

I guess it's worth a shot! Bam, PUN!

Seriously though, I guess I'll try some different ammo before I spend hundreds on repair that it might not even need.

Poor quality steel head cases expand too much when fired, wedging themselves in the chamber. Some guns tolerate this better than others.

Could be something real simple like burs in the chambers.

I'll check that as well...I have a friend and patience...might be an easy fix.

I'll strip it tonight (I have to install new ejector springs I bought through midway anyway).

The issue only happenned after 100rds, so it might be a burr or something...you could be right.

I'll let you guys know what I find out after I take it to the range with some new ammo after a good cleaning/once over.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you all VERY much for your input!

Do you own a chamber brush?

Most overlook that the chamber is larger than the bore. Bore brushes do nothing to clean the chamber, it takes an oversized brush to do the job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had issues with our club-sold ammo. The hulls get stuck with more frequency than I like. I shot two rounds of trap with a borrowed club H&R single shot break action and the ejector just wasn't strong enough to pop the hulls out. Had to use the rod on at least 40% of my shots. Made for a very long round of trap.

I also had a hull get stuck in my Winchester SXP and had to brute force the action open. It happens, I've learned, and now I'm buying my own.

I have had issues with Winchesters low walled brass sticking.
Fiocchi , it never happens.
I'm sure Rust Blue can get it fixed.
All it may take is a tiny bit of honing or polishing of the chambers.
I wouldn't can the gun if you like it otherwise.

Disappointing to hear they are no longer willing to repair Red Labels.
I have three of them. Sent one in a few years ago for a broken barrel selection piece and it was a smooth deal.
You have to wonder if they don't have a whole bunch of parts in storage somewhere and an old timer to do the job...?

If Serge at Rust Blue cant fix it, you don't need it! I have 2 Red labels (original) 12 & 20 ga. bought the 12 new, and never any problems, got the 20 used from Ruger in an auction and just shot it a few times and its ok. Ruger should have done better, I am surprised! Good luck

good luck I found this on Ruger Web site:

There are no parts and no service available for the below discontinued products that were produced in Newport, NH.

Red Label Shotguns (serial # beginning with "400-" or "410-")
10/22 Magnum Rifles
New Model Single-Six
SSM Trap Shotgun
Single Six .17 Hunter Convertible Mach 2 Cylinders
.44 Magnum Carbine Rifles (original model)
Red Label Wood Side
M77 Mark II Rifles in Short Ultra-Mag Calibers
96 Series Lever Action
AC-556
M77 Mark II Express Rifles
Old Army
.357 Maximum Revolvers
77/50 Blackpowder Rifles
Deerfield
180 Series Mini-14 rifles (serial # beginning with "180-")
Security Six Revolvers
Hawkeye Pistols
"Old Model" (three-screw) single-action revolvers - (Free Factory Safety Offer)
No. 3 Rifles
Tang Safety Model 77 Rifle

This is BS!
I'm surprised they don't have a custom shop like S&W and Colt, that will fix anything they ever made.
Even if parts don't exist for it in inventory, they have the factory specs & drawings and will fabricate the repair parts if necessary.
Of course it won't be cheap, but at least they don't tell you "sorry, there's nothing we can do".

Ryder never figured out how to produce those Red Labels while making a buck. Anecdotally the rate of ones with problems seems high as well.

I have had issues with Winchesters low walled brass sticking.
Fiocchi , it never happens.
I'm sure Rust Blue can get it fixed.
All it may take is a tiny bit of honing or polishing of the chambers.
I wouldn't can the gun if you like it otherwise.

This! I had a similar issue with a brand new KSG that literally broke the guide rails in the stock (bullpup shotgun) after the first 5 rounds! After much research, I found that Keltec didn't finish machine the chambers well, and when they Parkerized the barrels it just made the situation worse! The gun would run fine with expensive high brass ammo, but most of the cheap bird shot, low brass stuff would expand too much and get stuck in the chambers, sometimes breaking the guide rails, or bending/breaking the bolt carriers themselves! Some sent their guns in several times with only marginal success. I had them send me a replacement stock, and ordered a chamber hone to properly finish the chamber myself. It took several tries before I got it perfect because I didn't want to remove too much material at a time. I just had patience and kept running the problematic shells until they worked consistently (in my case they were the Rio brand).

Back
Top Bottom