Ruger PC Carbine failure to eject / stovepipe problems.

I have gone to the range 3 times now with a new Ruger PC Carbine and have had nothing but problems with it.

1st trip I was shooting 115 gr RN reloads that I had on hand. And an aftermarket glock mag. Every shot was a failure to eject.

2nd trip I was thinking maybe it was the magazine, so I took a factory glock mag, same reloads and had the same result.

3rd trip I ran down to Wally world and grabbed a Winchester white box of 115gr RN and had the same issues.

What is everyone running for ammo in theirs? I know the white box isn't know for quality, but I have yet to fire this thing more than 2 rounds in a row yet. I have about 50 rounds total.

I swear I have tried every setting with the barrel tension but as well. Anything else I'm misssing?

UPDATE IN POST #22

Last edited:
I had issues with older 17rd glock factory mags and then started using current generation 10 rd mags with no issue. For the older mags I would have to bump the bottom of the mag after every shot and then the round was set. I shoot a lot of 115gr Blazer.
I was thinking of changing the mag follower and getting some Wolfe springs for the older mags to see if that would help, but for now I don't mind swapping out the 10 rounders.

Last edited:
That was my next thing to check out, but I'm pretty sure the insert is almost impossible to screw up. Which means I could very well could have lol.

Next range trip that will be tested.
If it’s not one of those variables I’d contact ruger - you’ve basically removed all variables that aren’t the gun itself. However I do not own one.

This is where I'd start.

Try hotter ammo.
Lube the gun so its wet but not dripping.
Look for proper position of ejector, make sure its not bent.

I had same problem with mine and upon disassembly, I realized the extractor and spring were never installed at the factory(don’t they test fire these?). Ruger was great and sent me the parts ASAP! Very easy to take apart and install.
It’s been flawless since, like it alot.
Good luck.

Did you take the foam packaging out? J/K.

Let me know next time you hit the range (except Tuesday).

I had same problem with mine and upon disassembly, I realized the extractor and spring were never installed at the factory(don’t they test fire these?). Ruger was great and sent me the parts ASAP! Very easy to take apart and install.
It’s been flawless since, like it alot.
Good luck.

They just left some parts out of the gun?! Jeez.

what aftermarket glock mag are you using? i would try some factory glock mags (not the U-notch oldies). also some warmer ammo perhaps winchester 124gr NATO stuff or sig 115gr. those are warm. would try running it first with these.

Does it work with the Ruger mag?

^would try this too

--

if still not cycling after some warm ammo and mag check, then just send it back to Ruger they will take care of it

My first trip to the range with mine had mixed results with Glock mags... Some mags worked perfect, others didn't. I believe the mags with the issues, had the same issue you stated. The mags went in hard and I had to slam them on the bottom after each round. After inspecting both mags, the U notch ones had a raised shoulder on both sides, they went in the mag adapter hard, the mags that works, went in smoothly … they had tapered sides

#1. 115 gr. reloads
#2. An aftermarket Glock magazine.
#3. Winchester White Box.

What could possible go wrong ?

This is exactly the way I've been running mine with a 0% failure rate. Never even tried the Ruger magazine or it's magwell insert. Went right to the cheap-ass overseas G17 mags and went to town. Getting close to 5-600 rounds without cleaning yet, other than just wiping it down and dragging a bore snake through it... At the moment, it may be the most fun rifle I own...!

This is exactly the way I've been running mine with a 0% failure rate. Never even tried the Ruger magazine or it's magwell insert. Went right to the cheap-ass overseas G17 mags and went to town. Getting close to 5-600 rounds without cleaning yet, other than just wiping it down and dragging a bore snake through it... At the moment, it may be the most fun rifle I own...!

All these comments are based on my own personal experience.

I love my PC9. It eats everything. However, I've found that some older, higher-capacity Glock magazines have a slightly different shape than the current mags. The Glock mags "swell" a bit when loaded to capacity resulting in a very tight fit, which can cause all sorts of issues. Some minor modifications can be made to the outside of the mag casing to make them fit a bit better into the Glock magwell insert. See if you can find a magazine that will drop free, even when full. Give that one a try and see if you have better results.

I made it to the range today. Here is what I discovered:
1:Installed the SR9 magazine well insert. 20 rounds of Win white box and 20 rounds of reloads ran perfectly.
2: Installed Glock 9 magazine well insert. Tested 8 different glock mags from variety of generations and a few non glock mags. Failure to eject at almost every round. (I think I had 4 or 5 that ejected properly, but next round failed)
3: I had an extra Glock 9 magazine well insert that I purchased from Brownells the night I order the PC carbine. (I didnt know that it came with one from the factory). I installed the new Glock 9 insert, and had zero failures with any of the glock magazines. I put about 300 rounds thru it using up the rest of the win white box and my reloads.

Overall very happy once I got it running correctly. Clearly the Glock magazine well insert that came with the rifle is defective. By eye, I cannot see anything different between the 2 glock well inserts, but clearly they are not identical.

20180907_145130.jpg 20180907_150249.jpg

After inspecting both mags, the U notch ones had a raised shoulder on both sides, they went in the mag adapter hard, the mags that works, went in smoothly … they had tapered sides
i'm gonna guess these carbines were not designed for the old u notch mags. glock did redesign the mags because the main complaint was obviously they didn't drop out of the gun and for the folks that own them know, they were hard to fully seat in the pistol. they did slim them down as well as add the metal liner stiffener. some of those u notches are pushing 25-30 years old, i'm sure the polymer is fatigued and misshaped on a lot of them.

I made it to the range today. Here is what I discovered:
1:Installed the SR9 magazine well insert. 20 rounds of Win white box and 20 rounds of reloads ran perfectly.
2: Installed Glock 9 magazine well insert. Tested 8 different glock mags from variety of generations and a few non glock mags. Failure to eject at almost every round. (I think I had 4 or 5 that ejected properly, but next round failed)
3: I had an extra Glock 9 magazine well insert that I purchased from Brownells the night I order the PC carbine. (I didnt know that it came with one from the factory). I installed the new Glock 9 insert, and had zero failures with any of the glock magazines. I put about 300 rounds thru it using up the rest of the win white box and my reloads.

Overall very happy once I got it running correctly. Clearly the Glock magazine well insert that came with the rifle is defective. By eye, I cannot see anything different between the 2 glock well inserts, but clearly they are not identical.

View attachment 246169 View attachment 246170

if that is indeed the case I would contact Ruger. they may want to examine the defective magwell insert. if you have a dial caliper it might be worth measuring it out to see if there's an appreciable difference. IIRC the ejector is attached to the magwell insert. is it positioned correctly?

Glad to see you got it figured out and are on the right track. I'd say do what enbloc said right above this post. Let me know if you're going to the range again. You have my email. .... D.

You know how good gun companies ( FN, Glock, HK etc.) release maybe 1 gun every couple years. Its cause they R&D, Test, Re Test their guns so they know they will work..

Then there is Ruger.

I actually just ordered one and picking it up tomorrow. In watching reviews I saw one guy have an issue with the glock insert, he took out I think it was the extractor off the ruger insert and it fixed the problem. Sounds like you had a similar issue. Id contact ruger and have them swap it out and just have it as a spare.

Back
Top Bottom