• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ruger PC Carbine failure to eject / stovepipe problems.

Return to Ruger for a new spare insert. Test that one when you get it...

I'm going to test a 2nd one that I purchased at the same time before contacting them. Hopefully get to it sometime this week.

Glad to see you got it figured out and are on the right track. I'd say do what enbloc said right above this post. Let me know if you're going to the range again. You have my email. .... D.
My range trips are pretty spontaneous. They get scheduled between naps times of the rug rats. I toss them in the van when sleepy and let them snooze away at the range parking lot. Its amazing what they can sleep thru. Lol

Final Update:

Took my friends rifle to the range today (purchased at the same time as mine). And it functioned perfectly.
Hopefully mine was a fluke on production, but who knows.
Just got off the phone with Ruger and they said mail the part in and they will replace it.

Adding that my Glock insert also runs those cheap ETS clear mags as well. Even the 30 rounders...

I had much of the same feed problems and found out, per Ruger, that Glock pre-ban U notch mags will not work in the PC9. Both the Ruger SR mags and new 10rd Glock mags worked flawlessly. So far I ran about 500 rounds of the 115gr Federal FMJ with no feed or ejection problems.

Ok, I picked up my PC9 a little over a week ago. Put about 100rds through it with a few stovepipes using the 33rd Korean Glock mags. With the regular Glock 15rd mags all was well.

One thing I noticed is the brass is beating the shit out of the forward outer edge of the ejection port, to the point that its rough and finish is removed. This cannot possibly be a normal condition. I have never seen any semi auto rifle or pistol do this.
I don't even understand how or why the brass would be contacting that portion of the ejection port at all if its being thrown rearward and outward. NOT HAPPY and Ruger is getting a call tomorrow regarding this issue.

Anyone else notice this condition with their rifle? image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited:
One thing I noticed is the brass is beating the shit out of the forward outer edge of the ejection port, to the point that its rough and finish is removed. This cannot possibly be a normal condition. I have never seen any semi auto rifle or pistol do this.
I don't even understand how or why the brass would be contacting that portion of the ejection port at all if its being thrown rearward and outward. NOT HAPPY and Ruger is getting a call tomorrow regarding this issue.

Anyone else notice this condition with their rifle?

Our 10/22 Takedown has a pair of snakebite notches in the forward edge of the ejection port
from a Failure to Eject that caused the bolt to slam the open end of the empty case there.
It's only happened once, so there's only one pair of notches.

And we're not alone:

You ought to try covering up the PC9's scratches with a black magic marker (or bluing marker)
and see if the wear resumes even though you're no longer using
crap Korean mags that cause stovepipes.

If not, then the facile conclusion is that the port only experiences scarring
if you use mags/ammo that stovepipes.

Yeah, this is kind of "blaming the victim".
But you said you had a spate of them,
and I wouldn't define a stovepiped case as "being thrown rearward and outward".

Sorry about that.

Bonus anecdote:

After 162 rounds down the pipe,
our SR-556 has brass-colored marks on the, er, brass deflector behind the ejection port -
even though there have been no malfunctions at all.

It's not going to improve the upper's appearance if I wear off the finish
in a vain attempt to remove the brass marks.
So call me a slob, but based on the rash assumption that they won't buff out,
I have no intent of lifting a cuticle to address the situation -
not even to cover them over with some kind of black marker.

Anyone else notice this condition with their rifle?View attachment 252248View attachment 252249View attachment 252250

mine has dings on in same area but I don't care. It's a sub $500 9mm carbine not an heirloom piece. i would just keep shooting it and if it really gets gnarly or causes function issues then Ruger will make it right for you. but seriously these are firearms meant for use not aesthetic praise and since it's a Ruger i think they look better when ugly.

what type of ammo are you running?

Our 10/22 Takedown has a pair of snakebite notches in the forward edge of the ejection port
from a Failure to Eject that caused the bolt to slam the open end of the empty case there.
It's only happened once, so there's only one pair of notches.

And we're not alone:

You ought to try covering up the PC9's scratches with a black magic marker (or bluing marker)
and see if the wear resumes even though you're no longer using
crap Korean mags that cause stovepipes.

If not, then the facile conclusion is that the port only experiences scarring
if you use mags/ammo that stovepipes.

Yeah, this is kind of "blaming the victim".
But you said you had a spate of them,
and I wouldn't define a stovepiped case as "being thrown rearward and outward".

Sorry about that.

Bonus anecdote:

After 162 rounds down the pipe,
our SR-556 has brass-colored marks on the, er, brass deflector behind the ejection port -
even though there have been no malfunctions at all.

It's not going to improve the upper's appearance if I wear off the finish
in a vain attempt to remove the brass marks.
So call me a slob, but based on the rash assumption that they won't buff out,
I have no intent of lifting a cuticle to address the situation -
not even to cover them over with some kind of black marker.

mine has dings on in same area but I don't care. It's a sub $500 9mm carbine not an heirloom piece. i would just keep shooting it and if it really gets gnarly or causes function issues then Ruger will make it right for you. but seriously these are firearms meant for use not aesthetic praise and since it's a Ruger i think they look better when ugly.

what type of ammo are you running?

Ok on both posts. I guess I'll live with it. :D

Its what happens with aluminum receivers.

Running S&B, Win, Wolf and reloads.

Still like the gun and Ruger isn't going to do anything about it anyway so just going to shoot the hell out of it and enjoy.

Its no uglier than an AK.:D

Ok on both posts. I guess I'll live with it. :D
Still like the gun and Ruger isn't going to do anything about it anyway so just going to shoot the hell out of it and enjoy.

Its no uglier than an AK.:D
There's nice chamfer on the external leading edge of the port in the brand new PC9
that we examined at B&K tonight.

Not saying Ruger mightn't try and buff it out,
if you can stand to be away from the gun for that long.

But I'd still trying using magic marker for starters to draw a new baseline
to see if the damage does come from a particular kind of ammo, mag, or failure mode.

Sigh.

I got mine in early 2018. Took it to the range with a variety of mags and ammo (about 8x varieties). I had failure to ejects about 5% of the time with Glock, ETS, and Magpul mags out of about 250 rounds. I had various problems with Korean mags and a failure rate of about 1/3. Before taking it to the range I disassembled, cleaned, and lubercated it. I sent the weapon back to Ruger with a description of the problem. They adjusted the barrel tension and replaced the bolt face, extractor, and extractor spring. She runs flawlessly now but I have not tested the Korean mags again. It is one of my favorite weapons. It is legal in all 50 states (non threaded barrel version) and easy to take with you inconspicuously. I put mine in a tankers tool bag when I bring it along.

Back
Top Bottom