• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ruger Mark I reassembly- AAARRGGHHH!!!

Hot Damn! This thing is gettin me down. This is about the 4th time I've disassembled/reassembled the thing and it's been interesting but mostly it hasn't been too much fun. This is the first time I haven't been able to get it to work, though. When I thought I was done and everything was where it needed to be I found that the bolt wouldn't slide all the way back and the safety wouldn't move. I tried to take it down again to see what's going on in there but the pull-out handle thing is totally jammed! It will only move out maybe a quarter of an inch. One thing I know is this- I won't be pursuing a career in gunsmithing in this lifetime. Can anybody tell me what boneheaded mistake I made and how to correct it? Since someone will probably be laughing at me soon I'm gonna beat you to the punch and laugh at myself[rofl]. What a moron I am[crying]

I've heard many bad things about the take down reassembly process. Its gotta be all true because there is an aftermarket kit available to add to your pistol making working on it a snap.[smile]

grips

Rusty barrels, when you cleaned this fine piece did you take off the grips??

If the answer is yes, the a pin has fallen out of place and you will never
get it back together...

Ley us know and i'll give you the rest of the info...

JimB

I'm never going to clean mine!

That's what the previous owner of mine must have decided. The first time I cleaned it I should have used some kind of scraping tool on it first. I probably could have filled a couple thimbles with all the gunk that was in there!

Jim: No, I didn't remove the grips this time but I have previously and I'm not sure what pin you may be referring to. Anyway, this thing is still locked up and I think I may use the damn GUN as a target next time I'm at the range! If you can point me in the right direction to get this thing working again I would be MOST appreciative!

Try this:
Cling_duct_tape.jpg

and:
Mallet.jpg

Seriously. They are kind of a pain to strip and reassemble. I have a MkIII. I've decided to do it every 3 or 4th trip to the range.

Call Ruger!

I had a pin come out of my MKIII Hunter, and along with it an internal spring.

I called them up and the tech support guy was very patient at walking me through getting it back together.

After you get it up and running again refer to my last post

GUN SCRUBBER

Comes in a spray can ........ don't strip it, just spray all the gunk away, wipe it down, add lube, and you are good to go for another 500 to 1000 rounds.

Good luck!

I called them up for a problem with a different gun and they wouldn't tell me anything that wasn't in the manual! Don't they not do any work on this gun anymore? I thought they don't even stock parts for it anymore. I should give it a try, though. Maybe they'll come through for me!

Pipmaster- I don't think I should be doing anything drastic here. This is not a normal disassembly- Something seems to be jamming it up beyond the normal level of difficulty. I was hoping there might be some specific trick I could do if somebody could tell me what it was I did wrong in the first place (Such as, what is preventing the bolt from sliding back?). Then again, this gun might be nothing more than a paperweight now so maybe I have nothing to lose from doing violence to it!

Don't do violence to it... maybe you can find an expert who can see it in person and help out. Are you a member of a club where maybe someone could help out there?

I recently got a Mark III and the thing keeps doing things that baffle me too. My dream of a post-SHTF gunsmithing career is fading before my eyes.

Rusty Barrels, where are you located? I've had a Mark 1 for decades and made most every mistake possible. I could probably help you out but not via the forum.

I'm in Metrowest - we could meet up at either Riverside (my club) or your club somewhere. PM inbound with phone #.

[Sorry, I thought I was able to steal Dwarven1's avatar for this. That kinda takes the wind out of my sail!]

This guy is THE MAN!!

He saved my Mark I from the undignified fate of becoming a humble paperweight and I just wanted to say

[rockon]thanks for your help!

Your friend,

Jason

You're welcome, Jason - glad I could help.

True story: when I started working at Sears Roebuck in their specialty repair facility in NJ many years ago, on my first day my new shop foreman got me a set of tools. He handed me a 16 oz rawhide mallet and told me that it was the most important tool in my toolbox. I thought he was joking... [smile]

Glad a little percussive maintenance was able to get the mainspring housing loose for you.

Majestic Arms Ruger MK I, II ,III quick strip kit

The Majestic Arms kit comes with a new hammer and a two piece bolt stop pin. The top half of the pin that sicks up out of the gun is threaded to the lower half which is retained in the hammer. To field strip the gun cock the hammer, put the safety on safe, put a hex key into the upper bolt, unscrew it and pull it out. The bolt assembly then comes right out the back. To reinstall it shove it back in, insert the upper half of the pin and tighten it down with the hex key.
I have installed three of these for friends, Two were MK IIs and one a MK III. The MK III was more of a pain because of the magazine disconnector and spring which ride on the hammer pin. I do recommend that you get a new hammer strut pin since you have to drive the old one out and it is staked. Having nothing to do with the kit, but since you need to have the mainspring housing out anyway, I also recommend that you check the mainspring latch pin to make sure its securely staked. I had one back out and had less than a fun time getting the gun apart

The Majestic Arms kit comes with a new hammer and a two piece bolt stop pin. The top half of the pin that sicks up out of the gun is threaded to the lower half which is retained in the hammer. To field strip the gun cock the hammer, put the safety on safe, put a hex key into the upper bolt, unscrew it and pull it out. The bolt assembly then comes right out the back. To reinstall it shove it back in, insert the upper half of the pin and tighten it down with the hex key.
I have installed three of these for friends, Two were MK IIs and one a MK III. The MK III was more of a pain because of the magazine disconnector and spring which ride on the hammer pin. I do recommend that you get a new hammer strut pin since you have to drive the old one out and it is staked. Having nothing to do with the kit, but since you need to have the mainspring housing out anyway, I also recommend that you check the mainspring latch pin to make sure its securely staked. I had one back out and had less than a fun time getting the gun apart

Holy Thread Resurrection, Batman!

ETA: Also, the kit you talk about was mentioned in the thread, and on this page, even!

Back
Top Bottom