Road rage?

I'd find it difficult to do this, but in Massachusetts the appropriate response to someone smashing up your hooptie with a baseball bat while you're sitting in it is......nothing. Call the po-po or drive away. And get the perp's plate number.

If the perp managed to block you in and started smashing your car you wouldn't be clear to go lethal until he broke a window near you or a passenger. It's always better to just get away. If you can't get away always remember that if you're being followed you have the advantage of choosing where the fight will take place.

This sounds to me like a good time for pepper spray.

Pepper Spray is finally legal for Plebeian's in this state. I'm still waiting for them to figure it out so we can watch the onslaught of everyone having Spray Wars.

When i used to drive for a living I used to see this all the time. You never know who you are messing with in the other car and there is a chance you will get your clock cleaned if you confront them.

I had a woman once at a rotary in Worcester that wanted to get around me real bad. She finally passed me on the right in teh rotary while staring at me and drove right into the back of a parked car. I was laughing so hard I had to pull over.
Recently I accidentally cut off a psycho woman in a Mercedes on rt 20. Wasn't my car and there was a blind spot. She was leaning out the window screaming for about a mile.

I can't find it, but there's a parking lot surveillance video where a guy tries to pepper spray a mugger and the wind carries it right into his own face.

I let a friend pepper spray me a few years ago. I highly recommend it if you carry the stuff.

When i used to drive for a living I used to see this all the time. You never know who you are messing with in the other car and there is a chance you will get your clock cleaned if you confront them.

I had a woman once at a rotary in Worcester that wanted to get around me real bad. She finally passed me on the right in teh rotary while staring at me and drove right into the back of a parked car. I was laughing so hard I had to pull over.
Recently I accidentally cut off a psycho woman in a Mercedes on rt 20. Wasn't my car and there was a blind spot. She was leaning out the window screaming for about a mile.

That's when you over-brake a bit and watch the look on her face as her car fills with her own feces...

If someone is following you, call 911 on your cell and drive to the nearest police station. Don't go home. Don't go to your destination.

Had a guy follow me right into the Westford Police station (old arrangement) parking lot one day after he thought he was going to cut me off with his car. I was certain this guys head was going to explode with all the gestures and fingers flying as I watched him turn 15 shades of red. Guy went into the station as I waited in my truck. Sgt came out, asked my side of the story then gave the guy a piece of his mind on how stupid he was. Pretty funny.

Today, with all the loonies and druggies I most likely would have done the same thing.

If someone is following you, call 911 on your cell and drive to the nearest police station. Don't go home. Don't go to your destination.

This, and only this. I don't like getting cops involved but it's worth noting that chances are the rager will suddenly be gone once he sees you pull into a police station. Not to mention by reporting it now you've started a chain of documentation. So if shit-for-brains resurfaces some day and you get penned in and have to shoot the bastard, there's already a history established.

given only the story presented, I'd not have unholstered... even to low ready. Not without seeing a weapon.

Pepper spray, on the other hand...

This isn't even a good idea.... still opens you to huge liability. Road rage gets viewed very negatively by default in the courts, even if you are clearly the victim. Most of the time you will not have witnesses to back up your claims and the courts and many juries will think you are part of the problem. This is because 80% of the time most full road rage incidents involve some form of escalation between the two parties. (this didn't happen in the OPs case, but I can tell you right now, everyone else will ASSUME that happened without knowing any better at first glance of the situation. )

-Mike

Last edited:

This^^^^
I drove for a living for a few years and saw some stupid stuff. My favorite was when an OTR guy on 495 decided he was going to deliberately swing his trailer into another guys lane to stop him from speeding. Guy in the 4 wheeler swung around him, jacked on the brakes until the rig had to stop, got out of his car and proceeded to smash the drivers side window on the rig with something. One of the funniest things I've ever seen.

Pulling your gun out because some guy was yelling and got out of his car was a terrible decision, IMO. If the guy has spotted the gun, he'd have called the cops and you're looking at probably losing your license and possibly facing some charges of your own. Get some pepper spray and carry that if you don't already. There are a lot of situations that can be resolved with pepper spray that would land you in jail if you used a gun.

I can't find it, but there's a parking lot surveillance video where a guy tries to pepper spray a mugger and the wind carries it right into his own face.

I let a friend pepper spray me a few years ago. I highly recommend it if you carry the stuff.

Might be a fun game at our new years party..........

Might be a fun game at our new years party..........

If you do, cut your clothes off after. I reacted a 2nd time when I pulled my shirt off over my head.

Also, drink a bunch of tequila first. Sabre makes a decent substitute if youre out of salt and limes.

I'm a professional. No salt/limes needed.

Just remind me to take the contacts out, because that would really suck.

I'm going to go with this. Back when men were men we could b**** at each other for being ***clowns without pulling a gun. I'm probably the biggest gun guy here but there is no reason your CCW should have left the holster, unless we're missing other details...

Can't argue with your sentiment, but I didn't know if HE was armed. If he wanted to lead with fists, I would have responded in kind.

If he came out with a bat or crowbar, that's a different answer.

I didn't raise my voice, I didn't yell back. I'm about de-escalation.

I apologized FFS.....

Jay,

You would have been justified in drawing if you did not have any other options. But nobody yet has brought up the fact that you could have retreated when he got out of the car at the dealership. Yes, you were at where you were going. But as far as has been discussed, you were not blocked in.

My attitude is that if I am carrying a gun I have a responsibility to be more passive and more willing to back down than I might otherwise be inclined, simply because if I ever have to use a firearm in self defense, I'd better damn well be justified. So with that in mind, you could still have retreated with greater safety than staying put. So retreat would have been the best option.

I'm not trying to slam you. I give you credit for sharing. Now I'm sharing. Lets all keep this constructive.

Don

One other thing. Generally speaking the gun should not come out of the holster unless you intend to use at that time.

Of course there are extreme cases where this doesn't apply But your example pretty much works with the rule.
Of course if the aggressor de-escalates the second he sees your firearm, then you are ethically and legally obligated to de-escalate also.
But at the time it came out, you should have been justified in squeezing the trigger. You weren't . So it should have stayed put.

already checked with the stealership, no video.

One other thing. Generally speaking the gun should not come out of the holster unless you intend to use at that time.

Of course there are extreme cases where this doesn't apply But your example pretty much works with the rule.
Of course if the aggressor de-escalates the second he sees your firearm, then you are ethically and legally obligated to de-escalate also.
But at the time it came out, you should have been justified in squeezing the trigger. You weren't . So it should have stayed put.

For clarification purposes:

I pulled into a service department entrance. Another service client pulled behind me. He pulled in BESIDE me. There was no vehicular escape.

This was after following me through 6 turns, tailgating, beeping his horn swearing and making gestures out the window.

I remained calm. I did not exit my vehicle (escalation). I did not raise my voice. He kept screaming. I apolgoized. He kept calling me an assh0le, etc.

The service advisor seemed to give him the reset. I'm glad he did.

If he got out of the car, I would have walked into the service area, with the gun in my fleece pocket. Much quicker access. But it would not have been in sight or brandished. I'd not play that game.

I do not take carrying lightly; this isn't Texas or Florida.

The guy was a grade a douchenozzle. I've already amazon primed cams for the trucks. I am over this. In retrospect, I should have just held up my phone and video'd him, it might have snapped him back sooner.

This, and only this. I don't like getting cops involved but it's worth noting that chances are the rager will suddenly be gone once he sees you pull into a police station. Not to mention by reporting it now you've started a chain of documentation. So if shit-for-brains resurfaces some day and you get penned in and have to shoot the bastard, there's already a history established.

This isn't even a good idea.... still opens you to huge liability. Road rage gets viewed very negatively by default in the courts, even if you are clearly the victim. Most of the time you will not have witnesses to back up your claims and the courts and many juries will think you are part of the problem. This is because 80% of the time most full road rage incidents involve some form of escalation between the two parties. (this didn't happen in the OPs case, but I can tell you right now, everyone else will ASSUME that happened without knowing any better at first glance of the situation. )

-Mike

I love the internet
I love the internet
I love the internet

I meant that without seeing a weapon I wouldn’t be opposed to having pepper spray at the low ready… I’m not advocating spraying the guy for flapping his gums, but if driving off isn’t an option and this asshat makes any move through the window of my truck he’s gonna get condimented...

Serenity now...

Judge "So why did you shoot him?"
Defendant "Because he called me a lot of names."
Judge "So why didn't you just drive away or, if you felt threatened, call the police and drive to the nearest police station?"
Defendant "I felt threatened for my life."
Judge "He had no visible weapon and you could have left the scene. Your life wasn't in danger. You'll be doing time for pre-meditated first degree murder."

Almost the exact same thing happened to an armed friend of mine - pissed another driver off, guy gets out of his car and approaches my friend who floors his car and drives to the nearest cop stop.

CCW holders are held to a higher legal standard than those that don't carry. Imho if an individual can't take the most abusive tongue lashing swear spewing possible from another person and walk away they don't have any business carrying.
No words are worth shooting someone over just like nothing you own is worth dying for, imho.

Last edited:
CCW holders are held to a higher standard than those that don't carry. Imho if an individual can't take the most abusive tongue lashing swear spewing from another person and walk away they don't have any business carrying.
No words are worth shooting someone over just like nothing you own is worth dying for, imho.

Pretty much this. I rarely carry because I don't want to ever get into a fight or something where I can't use a thing I have without jail time, or have it taken by an attacker.

You always draw when someone is yelling at you? Two possibilities here:
1) lock yourself in the car and call 911
2) get out of your car and Leonidas front kick him in the breadbasket.
Why the pistol? It's a last resort.

Back
Top Bottom