Rifle from 80% lower seized in Rutland MA traffic stop

True, and that would avoid the problem for the state if the AWB was declared by a judge as null and void for SBRs. Right now it is considered a gray area (strict reading seems to be AWB does not apply, but IIRC LE is being told that it does).

Well, the state also avoids the problem just by dropping the charge, too, regardless. They got like 10 other things to hang this kid on, it wouldn't surprise me if 90% of it drops away if the feds don't take it.

-Mike

Depends on how froggy they are about deciding to prosecute him. A mouse can fart and make them change their mind one way or the other. Contrary to popular belief they don't prosecute all "known" violations. For example lying on a 4473 is a felony and people do that every day, and get denied, (because they're stupid, and don't have an idea that they'll fail NICS because of their past) but the feds aren't running around chasing every one of those people down that bounces on a NICS check.

-Mike

I'm hoping the mouse doesn't fart to the
Left.

True, and that would avoid the problem for the state if the AWB was declared by a judge as null and void for SBRs. Right now it is considered a gray area (strict reading seems to be AWB does not apply, but IIRC LE is being told that it does).

It is not a grey area: The law is clear and was quoted above. LE can't write their own law, even in this state.

If you are a tinfoil hat guy, just go to a gun show in NH or VT and buy one from a non-licensee with cash and a handshake. Voila, instant ghost gun. Nobody knows you have it. Sure it has a SN, but it doesn't point to you in anyone's A&D book or in any state database. And its perfectly legal. (provided you are a resident of NH or VT)

****Edit - actually, now that I think about it, this could LEGALLY be done in MA. The feds do not require any paperwork on secondary sales between non-licensees. MA does not consider a stripped receiver to be a firearm. So a lower receiver purchased from a non-licensee does not require any paperwork. You would need to find someone to agree to not keep any records, and again, there couldn't be an email or money trail if you want it to be on the down low, but it would be anonymous and perfectly legal. ***

Actually quite illegal, my friend.

Non-licensees can only sell to residents of their own state and only in their own state. That's Federal law, from GCA '68.

Plus, state laws may even not allow that, as some do not allow non-licensses to sell without going through an FFL.

Now, IF your state laws allow it (as in VT & NH), a non-dealer may transfer to another resident of his state, while in his state. But, not to a resident of another state.

It is not a grey area: The law is clear and was quoted above. LE can't write their own law, even in this state.

They can still charge someone with a whole bunch of crap though. Like I said earlier, I bet the sticky shit gets dropped at some point or another. Or he pleas out to some of the stuff where the bar is low. .

-Mike

Non-licensees can only sell to residents of their own state and only in their own state. That's Federal law, from GCA '68.

Plus, state laws may even not allow that, as some do not allow non-licensses to sell without going through an FFL.

Now, IF your state laws allow it (as in VT & NH), a non-dealer may transfer to another resident of his state, while in his state. But, not to a resident of another state.

Uh. . you didn't read what I wrote, did you? I never said anyone should buy across state lines.

(By the way. thank you for doing appleseed instruction. Its a fantastic program)

You are a bit confused about what a licensee is. A licensee is an FFL

Did you notice the part where I said, its legal provided you are a resident of NH or VT
I didn't advocate buying firearms across state lines.

In other words, if you are a NH resident, go to a show in NH. If you are a VT resident, go to a show in VT.

Basically, in any New England state, other than CT, a receiver can be transferred between non-licensees with no record keeping.

Don

p.s. The ATF refers to FFLs as Licensees, and people who are not FFLs as "unlicensed". This has nothing to do with any state permits. . For example:

Licensees: https://www.atf.gov/qa-category/conduct-business

Unlicensed Persons - https://www.atf.gov/qa-category/unlicensed-persons

Last edited:

r state.

MA is the only state in New England that requires non-FFLs to have a carry license in order to sell a firearm.

But again, you forget that MA does not consider a receiver to be a firearm. So even in this case. A person does not need a MA LTC or FID to buy or sell a receiver on the secondary market (not from a dealer).

Don

Last edited:
They can still charge someone with a whole bunch of crap though. Like I said earlier, I bet the sticky shit gets dropped at some point or another. Or he pleas out to some of the stuff where the bar is low. .

-Mike

This guy is clearly an idiot. But then again, he did not appear to intend any harm to anyone, so in my simple mind, he didn't do any anything ethically wrong. And even from a legal standpoint, the absence of mallace should get him some points.

If the gun was cased, and the guy did not consent to a search, then he would have stood a decent chance of getting everything thrown out.

I believe you, but in this case, it was the Town of Rutland at 11:30 at night. The police in this area have nothing else to do but run every plate they see hoping for an excuse to pull them over.

Take a look at Com v. Ortiz.

http://www.mass.gov/courts/docs/sjc/reporter-of-decisions/new-opinions/14p0927.pdf

The police were looking for an excuse to stop Ortiz and perform an inventory search. They found one, but the judge held the search was unlawful.

There are a lot of moving parts in the East Brookfield District Court. I'm not too sure of your prediction.

I will "cop" to the fact that I know nothing about the courts in that area of MA, and Im starting to think the kid may be seeing some time, tho I think 18 months is a stretch, but Ive been wrong before.

Nice to see an NES lawyer or two add their 2cents in a non ambiguous way, thank you.

Looking for an excuse to do an inventory search makes me think they had some prior info from somewhere and were looking to stick him. I will read the case tho

This guy is clearly an idiot. But then again, he did not appear to intend any harm to anyone, so in my simple mind, he didn't do any anything ethically wrong. And even from a legal standpoint, the absence of mallace should get him some points.

If the gun was cased, and the guy did not consent to a search, then he would have stood a decent chance of getting everything thrown out.

This is all on the search, assuming the AWB charge survives a MTD, if the gun comes in, this case is a plea at best. Maybe the AWB gets dropped, but I doubt very much we'll see a trial.

GPP, it looks like the rifle was in plain sight. Although that is a common lie when cops toss the inside of a car.

I've yelled at cops for shining their lights in my car at sobriety checkpoints. Its you know, its SOP to look for anything suspicious in plain sight.

The kids gun could have been cased and the cop could have lied.

Which is why I own a sedan.

Don

- - - Updated - - -

Smash - I'm not an atty. But I agree the search's legality is key.

One of the things I read said the gun was in plain sight.

Missed that one or just ignored it.

I was expecting more '**** the NRA', 'demand tougher gun control laws now' type responses, instead it was mostly 'atta boys', pats on the back nut sack licking

They came looking for me twice, only problem was, I wasn't the one they were looking for.

First time they went to the FFL with a photo of the person that turned up in the NIC's denial (McEinelys, but he wasn't certain if the
person in the pic was me), then they visited me at home.

Second time they just called me at home. After I explained my situation and the previous visit, the agent said 'that's what I thought'
(meaning it was an erroneous identity case).

Never heard from them again after that even after several more denials (this was all before they had the VAF/UPIN program).

When ever these PD's post things on facebook, 90% of the comment will be 'thank you for keeping us safe'. The people who use facebook seem to be 95% sheep.

You are a bit confused about what a licensee is.

Actually I'm not confused. Nor should I be. Especially that I have been an FFL, both type 01 and 06 (Dealer and ammo manufacturer). Of course you had no way of knowing that.

Now, I apparently did fail to catch you did mention the part on residency. And, that's the part I was talking about. So, on my end of missing that, I deeply apologize.

MA is the only state in New England that requires non-FFLs to have a carry license in order to sell a firearm.

I didn't know that. Then again, it totally doesn't apply to me, seeing that I don't live in MA.

I do know that receivers in MA are not firearms. That said, I was referring to federal law. They (the feds) consider an AR lower receiver to be a firearm.

Being a Vermonter myself, we can transfer a firearm to another Vermont resident anyways.

The following isn't directed at dcmdon. It is, however, for those that think the only people that use 80% receivers are criminals and kooks. I personally do not use them myself (yet), but others do. I fail to see a problem with that. Now, so it's said, there's tons of legitimate reasons people build with 80% receivers. It is legal to do so.

There's tons of bad assumptions here, mostly from a couple of people.

Nickle -

Don't forget that the feds do not regulate secondary transfers between non-licenses of the same state. So there are no federal laws that require any record keeping. Money and a handshake is all it takes.

Reread my post. All that I suggested was legal, IS legal. Once you realize that I was referring to in state transfers between non licensees and you know that MA doesn't consider a receiver to be a firearm.

Don

p.s. 07/Class2 myself.

Activist judges can make up whatever they like but that isn't the point and I'm not sure how you could live being afraid of it.
Everything is about the amount of risk you are willing to take. Some people crack open a nice, relaxing beer on the drive home from work. Others don't put punisher grips on their carry guns because they don't want to look like vigilantes to a jury.

I won't lie. I didn't read the whole thread.
But I did come across this..

ETA: Looks like I'm late to the game [smile]

15-46022 2334 Initiated - Building / Property Ch Building Checked/Secured 3
Location/Address: [RU 240MAI] 240 MAIN ST
ID: SERGEANT NICHOLAS A MONACO
Arvd-23:34:45 Clrd-23:34:48

15-46023 2334 Initiated - Traffic Enforcement Area Patrolled 3
Location/Address: [RU] MAIN ST
Arvd-23:35:18 Clrd-23:38:00

15-46027 2338 Initiated - Motor Vehicle Stop Arrest(s) Made 2
Location/Address: [RU] MAIN ST
Arvd-23:38:00 Clrd-10/31/2015 @ 01:21:13
ID: Patrol JOHN D SONGY
Disp-23:40:32 Enrt-23:40:36 Arvd-23:44:33 Clrd-10/31/2015 @ 00:38:45
Vehicle: BLK 2007 TOYT SOLARA USSESL Reg: PAN MA 371WL1 VIN: 4T1FA38P77U126378
Narrative:
0011 - 203 advising the male party is in custody and the
female will have control of the vehicle.
0012 - 219 e/r to the Station with 1, s/m 47639.2
0013 - 219 off at the Station, e/m 47639.8
0036 - Prisoner placed in Cell #1
0504 - Bail Clerk o/a at RPD
0515 Prisoner has been bailed
Refer To Arrest: 15RU-200-AR
Arrest: DYER, SERGEI JOHN
Address: 233 SHREWSBURY ST HOLDEN, MA
Charges: LIQUOR, PERSON UNDER 21 POSSESS
INSPECTION/STICKER, NO
RIFLE/SHOTGUN IN VEH, LEAVE LARGE CAPACITY
FIREARM, POSSESS LARGE CAPACITY
ASSAULT WEAPON, POSSESS

For Date: 10/31/2015 - Saturday
15-46034 0037 Other - Prisoner Watch Prisoner Bailed 3
Location/Address: [RU 242MAI] 242 MAIN ST
Narrative:
0036 - Prisoner placed in Cell #1
0100 - Prisoner Checked - CCTV
0130 - Prisoner Checked - CCTV
0200 - Prisoner Checked - CCTV
0230 - Prisoner Checked - CCTV
0300 - Prisoner Checked - CCTV
0330 - Prisoner Checked - CCTV
0400 - Prisoner Checked - CCTV
0430 - Prisoner Checked - CCTV
0500 - Prisoner Checked - CCTV
0504 - Bail Clerk o/a at RPD
0515 - Prisoner has been bailed
Refer To Arrest: 15RU-200-AR
Arrest: DYER, SERGEI JOHN
Address: 233 SHREWSBURY ST HOLDEN, MA
Charges: LIQUOR, PERSON UNDER 21 POSSESS
INSPECTION/STICKER, NO
RIFLE/SHOTGUN IN VEH, LEAVE LARGE CAPACITY
FIREARM, POSSESS LARGE CAPACITY
ASSAULT WEAPON, POSSESS

Also

http://www.telegram.com/article/20151102/NEWS/151109808
By Kim Ring
Telegram & Gazette Staff

Posted Nov. 2, 2015 at 9:32 PM
Updated at 6:58 PM

EAST BROOKFIELD - A Holden man who allegedly had a loaded modified assault rifle in the back seat of his car during a traffic stop told Rutland police he built the gun from parts.
Sergei J. Dyer, 20, of 233 Shrewsbury St., Holden, was stopped Friday night by Rutland police Sgt. Nicholas A. Monaco, who was randomly checking license plates on Main Street in Rutland. Sgt. Monaco checked the license plate on a Toyota Solara that passed him.
Sgt. Monaco learned that the vehicle had not passed an inspection. He stopped the car and while speaking with Mr. Dyer, he wrote in his report, he used a flashlight to see into the vehicle and saw what appeared to be a AR-15 on the floor behind the driver's seat.
"I asked Dyer, 'What's this back here?' He responded with something to the effect of, 'It's what it looks like'," the police report states. The officer asked if the gun was loaded and Mr. Dyer allegedly replied that it was, later telling a second officer who arrived as backup that there was "a round in the chamber."
Police seized the loaded firearm, two 10-round magazines and a 12-pack of Bud Light beer from the car and arrested Mr. Dyer. A 19-year-old woman from Sterling who was in the car was not charged and was allowed to take the car after Mr. Dyer was arrested.
Mr. Dyer, who had a firearm identification card but not a license to carry firearms, was arraigned Monday in Western Worcester District Court in East Brookfield on charges of possession of a large-capacity weapon, possession of an assault weapon, leaving a loaded/unsecured large capacity weapon in a vehicle, being a minor in possession of alcohol, having no inspection sticker. He was released on personal recognizance.
Police inspected the AR-15 and found that it had no serial number and was not compliant with Massachusetts law because it had a detachable magazine, a telescoping stock, a pistol grip and a flash suppressor. At the police station, Sgt. Monaco successfully inserted a 30-round magazine from the Police Department into the firearm. In addition, the barrel was 12 inches long, which is less than the 16 inches required in Massachusetts for a gun to be considered a rifle. Police wrote that short-barreled rifles are "closely regulated by the ATF (federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives)."
Sgt. Monaco wrote that he planned to notify the ATF about the case because unregistered possession of such a firearm is a federal felony.
Mr. Dyer is due back in court Jan. 15.

Last edited:
Activist judges can make up whatever they like but that isn't the point and I'm not sure how you could live being afraid of it.

There's a fine line between not shitting yourself with fear over the system (I can't live like that either) and managing risk by eliminating terminally stupid things from one's legal diet. (like driving around as a minor in a car that has an expired sticker, with booze openly displayed with a rifle floating around in the back of the car with a round in the pipe....)

-Mike

Agreed: One of the things that we learn as adults is how to mitigate risk. Some learn it better than others and everyone has a different risk tolerance level.

Geezum Crow... this kid is soooo screwed. Even if he doesn't do jail time, he can forget about any job that requires a background check.

I see a long career as a pizza delivery driver. The kid is a dumbass of epic proportions. Hope Mommy and Daddy can afford a good lawyer. He is going to need one.

Anyone else a little surprised they let his girlfriend drive the car away?

30 years ago, the unopened beer would not have been a problem. In which states would this other stuff not be a crime, for those of you who said that?

The Facebook stuff is pretty crazy. They said they can't imagine that gun for hunting or for a kid to use. Someone who has Facebook needs to rebut that stuff.

The Facebook stuff is pretty crazy. They said they can't imagine that gun for hunting or for a kid to use. Someone who has Facebook needs to rebut that stuff.

You don't have to hit facebook to hear things like that. Several of our fine members here feel exactly the same way. We've already had a gentleman chime in here to state that the only people who want 80% lowers are felons and wife beaters. In a thread a week or so ago another fellow was supporting the cops hassling a kid for sitting in a car minding his own business...kid happened to have a (legal) handgun on him. There is a lot of stupidity out there and it isn't confined to facebook by any means.

You don't have to hit facebook to hear things like that. Several of our fine members here feel exactly the same way. We've already had a gentleman chime in here to state that the only people who want 80% lowers are felons and wife beaters. In a thread a week or so ago another fellow was supporting the cops hassling a kid for sitting in a car minding his own business...kid happened to have a (legal) handgun on him. There is a lot of stupidity out there and it isn't confined to facebook by any means.

^
And it seems every week another pops up.

He was released without any bail. Doesn't seem like the ADA thinks he's much of a threat. That guy who had a LTC and a gun on the sidewalk at the BU graduation last spring was given $100,000 bail.

He was released without any bail. Doesn't seem like the ADA thinks he's much of a threat. That guy who had a LTC and a gun on the sidewalk at the BU graduation last spring was given $100,000 bail.

If that doesn't tell you how useless and ****ed up the US court system is, I don't know what will.

I'm not saying either should have bail, I'm saying the "discretion" is so abused it's bullshit.

If that doesn't tell you how useless and ****ed up the US court system is, I don't know what will.

I'm not saying either should have bail, I'm saying the "discretion" is so abused it's bullshit.

MA also has "dangerousness" hearings too for things since the Middlesex county DA let jared remy out on basically nothing. So a lot of people get held until trail because they are "dangerous" although it's BS. That guy in Wrentham or Franklin (somewhere down near there) who had possession of some guns, one a scary AW was just held because a judge deemed him "dangerous" at the hearing. He I think he had an open RO but he seemed pretty tepid.

If the guy at BU was transgender, the Boston judge would have given him an award prior to giving him no bail.

Agreed: One of the things that we learn as adults is how to mitigate risk. Some learn it better than others and everyone has a different risk tolerance level.
and those that dont learn on the outside will be learning how to mitigate ass poundings in prison.

Back
Top Bottom