Rifle from 80% lower seized in Rutland MA traffic stop

What was the actual conviction for? Title says 80% AR but seems he broke many more laws...too many killy features and 12" barrel with no hall pass.

What was the actual conviction for? Title says 80% AR but seems he broke many more laws...too many killy features and 12" barrel with no hall pass.

Thats some Club fed shit right there. much bigger sentence than 18 months

Was not charged Federally (that I know of). This happened in the state District Court.

I just went back and saw the photo and red the description. what a moron.

illegal SBR, transporting a loaded rifle, probably unlocked. Nevermind the fact he didnt have ltc most likely since he is a minor with alcohol means hes under 21.

He may get a few months off for good behavior, but he'll be in for at least a year.

Really sad. Seemed like a good kid.

You are right it is sad. The kid made some really bad choices and will pay dearly for them. Hopefully his life doesn't go to shit after all of this.

I have to wonder, WTF was this kid thinking ? I mean, I can give him a pass on the inspection sticker thing, that can happen to anyone. People get busy and it can be an oversight. And the alcohol... big deal, but at least be smart enough to put it in the trunk. But there really is no excuse for the firearm. Left in plain sight? Not even covered with a towel? If this kid had not left the beer and rifle where someone could see them, he would have walked away with a ticket or maybe just a warning to get his sticker taken care of.

Its a good thing that they got this hardened criminal off the street. Meanwhile, the gangsters, murderers and rapists run free...

You are right it is sad. The kid made some really bad choices and will pay dearly for them. Hopefully his life doesn't go to shit after all of this.

I have to wonder, WTF was this kid thinking ? I mean, I can give him a pass on the inspection sticker thing, that can happen to anyone. People get busy and it can be an oversight. And the alcohol... big deal, but at least be smart enough to put it in the trunk. But there really is no excuse for the firearm. Left in plain sight? Not even covered with a towel? If this kid had not left the beer and rifle where someone could see them, he would have walked away with a ticket or maybe just a warning to get his sticker taken care of.

He bought into the "How To Legally Build Your Own Unregistered AR-15" theory.

Thats some Club fed shit right there. much bigger sentence than 18 months

Not happening unless the feds decided to do it, and if they did, they would have scooped him first anyways. A dumbass with an
illegal SBR isn't exactly a huge "catch" not that feds haven't made similarly weak arrests and prosecutions before, but most of the local USAs and AUSAs want stuff that makes them look better.

-Mike

He bought into the "How To Legally Build Your Own Unregistered AR-15" theory.

That totally sucks, and based on Eddie Coyle's previous post in this thread, it is more common than you think. I was once told by a weirdo at a gun store that he could "easily turn an AR full auto and it was completely legal". I told him good luck with that and walked away.

I really do feel bad for the kid. A year in jail is no joke

How the hell did a cop see an inspection sticker at 11:30 PM?
I got pulled over for "failure to use care when starting." Cop thought I made his unmarked car and raced away from him, really i was just stomping on the throttle coming around a corner, and he proceeded to play 20 questions about smoking weed. "You got weed in the car?" "you smoke weed?" "why are your eyes red" (sanding ablative paint) "You weren't running from me?" and on and on. He said I was getting a ticket, went and looked at my inspection ticket, and then wrote me a warning for being less than a month out of date and failure to use care when starting.

He didn't have to.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_number_plate_recognition

It's all in the database including whether or not your inspection sticker is up to date.
Bingo

If you guys knew how often these "tail light out " stops or " bad inspection sticker " stops were the result of some CI giving out info, youd never talk to anyone again.
You dont honestly think some trooper happens to stop a car with a tail light out and stumbles upon 2 kilos of coke?
They run the plates a lot. I've been stopped because I had my plate ran, and I've seen people pulled over because the cops ran the cars plate. On route 6 a couple years ago I watched as a cop rode my ass for a couple minutes, than paralleled me for a couple minutes, before cutting me off, flipping on the lights, and pulling over the car in front of me.

But they absolutely do get some of those big busts off ci's. Pat McAffee told a story on his show. New in the NFL, driving an escalade on 24's with tinted windows, they pulled him over, asked him if he had guns, (he had his ar's and stuff because he was moving back to indy for the season), searched his car. Apparently they had a tip that a black SUV with big wheels was going to be passing through on the interstate filled with guns and drugs. He swears it was a coverup for profiling (how many backwoods white guys drive pimped out brand new escalades?)

Dude if you're a kid they look hard. I've been pulled over a handful of times. One time in broad daylight the cop did two laps of the car and shined his light through all my tinted windows (SUV). The other times I've been pulled over they always looked in every window.

Tons of people are saying the kid is dumb for being out of date. I was out of date for three years, drove around no problem, then got popped twice in a row. I know people that have ran around for years with a rejection sticker or out of date. It's expensive, and it's a PITA to get it inspected. People don't have time, either to fix the rust or whatever minor problem is keeping them from getting a sticker, or even just don't have time to get it inspected. If you work 7-5 6 days a week when are you going to get it inspected? You have to take a day off from work.
Kid's dumb for not putting the rifle or the beer in the trunk but it happens. Toss xyz in the backseat and lets go. He probably figured he wasn't going to get stopped because he hasn't yet, and he absolutely got targeted. A million cars are out of date and past cop after cop and never get tickets because the cops have something better to do. This time they didn't and the kid really got screwed for violating some paper regulations.

I thought the original report would have been ordered to be changed, lost, or replaced with one that said it was actually a pellet gun....if he knew or was related to someone.

If he was an illegal, he could serve his time or seek refuge in the state house!

Last edited:
Dude if you're a kid they look hard. I've been pulled over a handful of times. One time in broad daylight the cop did two laps of the car and shined his light through all my tinted windows (SUV). The other times I've been pulled over they always looked in every window.

Tons of people are saying the kid is dumb for being out of date. I was out of date for three years, drove around no problem, then got popped twice in a row. I know people that have ran around for years with a rejection sticker or out of date. It's expensive, and it's a PITA to get it inspected. People don't have time, either to fix the rust or whatever minor problem is keeping them from getting a sticker, or even just don't have time to get it inspected. If you work 7-5 6 days a week when are you going to get it inspected? You have to take a day off from work.
Kid's dumb for not putting the rifle or the beer in the trunk but it happens. Toss xyz in the backseat and lets go. He probably figured he wasn't going to get stopped because he hasn't yet, and he absolutely got targeted. A million cars are out of date and past cop after cop and never get tickets because the cops have something better to do. This time they didn't and the kid really got screwed for violating some paper regulations.

I know you will find this hard to believe, but I was a kid once too. And while I applaud you for working a full time job, and hope it is a good job, the hours you work would be like going part time for me. I am not bitching, I do it for my customers and employees, but 80-100 hour work weeks are pretty much the norm for me for better than 6 months of the year. And I am not alone. Lots of guys that run a business or have busy seasons do the same thing. Hell, most cops and firefighters I know do it too.
You don't have to take an entire day off from work to get a sticker. I usually do it on a lunch break, or drop my truck off and get a ride back to the shop then pick it up when I can. And sure I can see being a month late, even two, but three years?
I agree the kid was dumb, but it doesn't just happen. The kid is a meathead.
And how many times have you been pulled over? I have driven over a million miles and been pulled over 3 times. Each time legit and my fault. Was given a warning each time. I am 49 and the last time was about 15 years ago. If you get pulled over a lot, chances are you are drawing a lot of attention to yourself.

it IS hunting season, and it is a loaded long gun in a car. he at least has to pay a fine for that, possibly lose his hunting license for a year too.

Check the date of this thread. Kid is doing 18 months. I think he's due to be released in April.

That's too bad that they put the hammer down on this kid. My kids are acquainted with him. Not a bad guy, just a combination of being a bit of a meathead and living in the PRM. Built the SBR because it's cool, not for any particular nefarious purpose. Family probably didn't have the bucks for top shelf representation.

That's too bad that they put the hammer down on this kid. My kids are acquainted with him. Not a bad guy, just a combination of being a bit of a meathead and living in the PRM. Built the SBR because it's cool, not for any particular nefarious purpose. Family probably didn't have the bucks for top shelf representation.
He hired Mike Monopoli, who has a great reputation as a trial attorney, though primarily for OUI. The rumor is that he got himself into some more trouble after his arrest for this. If he hadn't done that, they would have cut him a break, likely reducing the charge to possession without an FID, which does not carry a mandatory minimum. Once he was found guilty, the judge had no choice but to impose the 18 month sentence.

He hired Mike Monopoli, who has a great reputation as a trial attorney, though primarily for OUI. The rumor is that he got himself into some more trouble after his arrest for this. If he hadn't done that, they would have cut him a break, likely reducing the charge to possession without an FID, which does not carry a mandatory minimum. Once he was found guilty, the judge had no choice but to impose the 18 month sentence.

Aha, that makes sense. Sounds like he was off the rails a bit. Bummer for the family to pay for a decent lawyer and then he messes up again. A shame that his record will be tainted from now on.

I know you will find this hard to believe, but I was a kid once too. And while I applaud you for working a full time job, and hope it is a good job, the hours you work would be like going part time for me. I am not bitching, I do it for my customers and employees, but 80-100 hour work weeks are pretty much the norm for me for better than 6 months of the year. And I am not alone. Lots of guys that run a business or have busy seasons do the same thing. Hell, most cops and firefighters I know do it too.
You don't have to take an entire day off from work to get a sticker. I usually do it on a lunch break, or drop my truck off and get a ride back to the shop then pick it up when I can. And sure I can see being a month late, even two, but three years?
I agree the kid was dumb, but it doesn't just happen. The kid is a meathead.
And how many times have you been pulled over? I have driven over a million miles and been pulled over 3 times. Each time legit and my fault. Was given a warning each time. I am 49 and the last time was about 15 years ago. If you get pulled over a lot, chances are you are drawing a lot of attention to yourself.

I never got stickers because: 1. I was never getting stopped in the truck. and 2. My parking brake cable was broken, I had rusted out rockers, and I had illegal tint. I didn't want to pay 90 bucks to get my front windows retinted (and I didn't want clear windows) When I had a day off work or school I wanted to hangout, not cut weld and paint. It just a lazy thing but like I said I wasn't getting stopped.
I got stopped once for being an idiot. I was tooling around on my way home from work, and floored it coming around a corner and I didn't see an unmarked cruiser. I got pulled over for keeping up with a pack of cars doing 80, and I got pulled over because an officer ran my plate (I assume) and saw I was out of date. Two warnings for an expired sticker I figured it was time to get it inspected, and I fixed my rockers, redid my whole parking brake system (new shoes, cables, and top hats, and while I was at it I replaced 2 calipers and 2 sets of pads), and found a place that would pass me with my windows to get a sticker. But I could easily have gone longer, it cost me way more to get it a sticker than the ticket.

I have to give you credit Connor. You take responsibility for your own actions. That is a good quality regardless of age. If you don't mind me asking, how old are you and what do you do for work?

Back
Top Bottom