Revolvers - am I going backwards?

I've posted about this recently in my Charter Arms thread....My first purchase was a browning buckmark, followed by a Glock 17...since then Ive bought, sold, traded out several autos in the years I've been licensed, but in the last few years, I've been trending towards revolvers to the point where I still have the .22 and the 4506....

For whatever reason, I seem to be more confident with a wheelgun - I like them, aesthetically and in terms of function. Is this weird? I mean, in a world of technological wonder autos, I'm drawn for whatever reason to the old school lure of the sixgun.

There's gotta be a group therapy for guys like me!

Who cares? Buy whatever you want. I generally prefer revolvers too - there's just something "right" about them; I love the simplicity of the design, the reliability, etc. With that being said, I own both [wink]

Don't fix it if it ain't broke. I never really liked revolvers when I first got "into" guns, but now that I have a S&W 686 I realize I was stupid and naive before. Now I'm just stupid.

Revolvers are awesome, I recieved my ltc a few weeks ago and that day I picked up a .357 ruger lcr. I absolutely love everything about revolvers, especially the lcr.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Remember it took almost 100 years for a semi-auto to emulate exactly a double action revolver. Traditional DA/SA autos had two trigger pulls to learn. SA autos required a safety, so it wasn't really until the Glock that a semi-auto with revolver-like attributes was finally accepted and further refined and developed.

The only downside really to revolvers is reloading, but for simplicity, reliability and general handiness a revolver is hard to beat, and I shoot and own my share of them. Nothing wrong with revolvers. As Clint Smith of Thunder Ranch says: "revolvers are real guns."

Edit: You know why should you care what anybody else thinks about your choice in a firearm? Sounds almost like you want consensus from some kind of NES Groupthink. Carry what you like. It's your business not mine or anybody elses. Caring what others think doesn't sound very libertarian.

Last edited:
I have both and I find myself taking revolvers to the range more often, or, I could just be turning into an old ****

I've got it worse. I'm finding that I love old (early 20th Century) revolvers. Old Colt Police Positives and Specials, Bankers Specials, etc...

Aloha

I'm the same way. I learned on revolvers, then went too Semi's. I acknowledge the advantages of the semi's higher capacity (and use one for my primary edc), but for some reason I just shoot a revolver better/more consistently.

The new M986 Pro is dead sexy, and will be mine in June-July if all goes well.

While I prefer semis to revolvers, I do like revolvers. I've carried a K-frame (19 or 66) and felt adequately armed.

Looks like just the gun for ICORE or USPSA revolver minor. Great competition revolver. Change the grips, trigger job, and maybe the rear sight.

Yeah I prefer semis too, but sometimes a revolver is fun to shoot.

There's nothing wrong at all in leaning towards revolvers.
I own a fair number of all types of handguns , but the finest one i've ever had is my Colt Python.

I have both. I shoot both. I hit what I am aiming at with both. I prefer revolvers, because I don't have to chase the brass. A Smith 642 in your pocket is very comforting for me, but not for the bad guys.

Miculek unboxes the first 929JM, then steps out on the back porch to fire off 8 quick shots.

His shop organization is similar to mine. [wink]

Last edited by a moderator:
i feel you.
i picked up a 625 so i could reload one round for my 1911 and my new revolver. cross utilization was my first thought.
now i'm ready to sell everything off and buy all revolvers. i love revolvers.
i just picked up a 1930's S&W 32 hand ejector.
damn now i want to buy a 929

a revolver is history, fine machinery, an example of fine craftsmanship and art all rolled into one package.

Going backwards ? You're going from a coke bottle to class.

Web%20left%20800.jpg

left%20800x493.jpg

One of the things I have always liked about firearms is the pure aesthetic. I really appreciate design and workmanship that goes into a nice pistol or revolver. Now I know that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but for me, there is something that is just "right" about a nice S&W revolver or a Colt 1911.

It is also why I just can't warm up to Rugers and Glocks

I just went for a walk this morning carrying a smith and wesson 17-3 . A hand full of .22's in your coat pocket and have fun . Model 28 in a belt holster under wool coat . Every day carry is a 1911 45 acp . If I go for a walk in the woods it's revolvers

I've posted about this recently in my Charter Arms thread....My first purchase was a browning buckmark, followed by a Glock 17...since then Ive bought, sold, traded out several autos in the years I've been licensed, but in the last few years, I've been trending towards revolvers to the point where I still have the .22 and the 4506....

For whatever reason, I seem to be more confident with a wheelgun - I like them, aesthetically and in terms of function. Is this weird? I mean, in a world of technological wonder autos, I'm drawn for whatever reason to the old school lure of the sixgun.

There's gotta be a group therapy for guys like me!

Your not going backwards at all, in fact your going forwards, now everyone is gay for single stack 9's and .380's.

I didn't think I would ever get a revolver, I just figured to shoot autos all the time, then I started looking at guns that would shoot more than one type of cartridge and fell in love with the Ruger GP100, so just before Christmas I came across one at the local shop and bought it, now I am thinking about getting a 44 also, I just love the way they are built, the feel, the cool clicks and noises they make, plus they have great accuracy, I am hitting a 10" gong at 100 yards with 38 & 357, that is some great satisfaction for a newbie.

Tim [grin]

Back
Top Bottom