Revolvers - am I going backwards?

Thanks Pilgrim, but let me clarify my question. What I meant was, do revolvers still have the same 10 lb trigger pull requirement, or is that a non-issue because of the way they work? Thanks again.

Yes, they do, but pretty much all double-action revolvers have had DA triggers heavier than 10 lbs long before the AG's silliness.

Budget for a trigger job for any modern revolver that you buy. Greg Deer did a nice job on my Model 19.

My 686-1 has the factory trigger for the DA - I actually don't mind it because its smooth and predictable.

Yes, they do, but pretty much all double-action revolvers have had DA triggers heavier than 10 lbs long before the AG's silliness.

Budget for a trigger job for any modern revolver that you buy. Greg Deer did a nice job on my Model 19.

I do not have a revolver in my collection and I feel like that makes it very incomplete. Not that it ever will be complete but you know what I mean. I'm waiting for an old Ruger Service Six or something like that. Maybe an old western style Colt too if I ever come across one I can afford but thats my white whale.

Not to pee in the pool, but why would you want to edc with something that has such little capacity as a revolver? I've seen threads on here where people are chest thumping 17+1 as their edc with 2 spare mags.... [popcorn]

I'm all for capacity, but I've been on this major kick for powerful rounds placed appropriately. I really hope I never have to use an EDC for anything other than an insurance policy. Not knocking high capacity, but I just feel plenty re assured with what I've got.

Not to pee in the pool, but why would you want to edc with something that has such little capacity as a revolver? I've seen threads on here where people are chest thumping 17+1 as their edc with 2 spare mags.... [popcorn]

Because some of us have different opinions on why we CCW and what to be prepared for. Personally I am not preparing for a mall shootout or a zombie attack.......the vast majority of defense shooting is very close range and only two shots fired. If the world changes more for the worse and th ethreat changes in my mind I would adjust my CCW accordingly but with the current environment and the suburbs I'm thumping around in I feel very confident with a 5 shot sp101 loaded with hornady 158 grain JHP. But I won't bust anyone elses balls for carrying 17 plus one in the pipe and a backpack full of spare mags if that is what they feel the need for........to each his own.

Last edited:
This - to each his own. My revolver has 6 shots, plus 2 speedloaders, giving me a total of 18 chances to fight and flee.

Because some of us have different opinions on why we CCW and what to be prepared for. Personally I am not preparing for a mall shootout or a zombie attack.......the vast majority of defense shooting is very close range and only two shots fired. If the world changes more for the worse and th ethreat changes in my mind I would adjust my CCW accordingly but with the current environment and the suburbs I'm thumping around in I feel very confident with a 5 shot sp101 loaded with hornady 158 grain JHP. But I won't bust anyone elses balls for carrying 17 plus one in the pipe and a backpack full of spare mags if that is what they feel the need for........to each his own.

Carry what you feel most comfortable with. I'd rather shot placement over quantity.

As far as range hardware, whatever you have the most fun with!

I just might - the question I have on revolvers though, if I get a trigger job done, does that in any way compromise its safety should it for example, be dropped? I know, a newbish question, but the only think I ever had customized a long time ago, was a crappy WASR because it felt like the trigger had a pound of Russian dirt in it.

Try one of mine. [wink]

I just might - the question I have on revolvers though, if I get a trigger job done, does that in any way compromise its safety should it for example, be dropped?

Not if it is done by a gunsmith, rather than a goonsmith. On K-frames (and I think L-frames) the geometry of the hammer that prevent the hammer from hitting the primer unless the trigger is pulled and held to the rear. In addition, the K-frames have a hammer-block safety. So improving the DA trigger pull won't compromise either.

If the person doing the trigger job doesn't know what they are doing, they may make the gun unreliable (light strikes) with some primers. My competition Model 66 is only reliable with well-seated Federal primers, but that was how I asked the gunsmith to set it up. My Model 19 is reliable with everything.

I own both but absolutely prefer a wheel gun.....they never jam and I'm more confident with it....my goal is to own a revolver in each caliber (modern).....still have 22, 500, 460, and 45ACP to go....

a revolver is history, fine machinery, an example of fine craftsmanship and art all rolled into one package.

Going backwards ? You're going from a coke bottle to class.

Web%20left%20800.jpg

left%20800x493.jpg
I've got the leather that was made to fit that Schofield. In fact, your schofield was the model that S.D. MEYERS used to fit the holsters correctly for both strong side and cross draw.

PM me if you want me to look it up in my copy.

It is an awesome book, though it ends up costing you a few thousand dollars over and above the $32 book price.

Thank you for the offer. PM inbound.
Pilgrim gave some info earlier but I'll fake any info I can get

if you have a Kindle or a Nook, or a computer account with either, the SCSW is available for download for a lot less than the book.

I have 2 copies of the hardcover (one for upstairs use, one for downstairs use [smile] ) and a digital copy on my nook/pc. It's very convenient to have it on the PC just for occasions such as this.

Some of us carry for self protection, some want to protect the world. A revolver is a great carry piece, did it for 12 years myself.

reliability of a a smith or ruger revolver will be greater than a small 380 or 9mm, plus in a grappling situation you might get one shot off with your pistol and the slide gets held and does eject or load your next round . you could seriously pound someone with your revolver and still rely on your next round.

reliability of a a smith or ruger revolver will be greater than a small 380 or 9mm, plus in a grappling situation you might get one shot off with your pistol and the slide gets held and does eject or load your next round . you could seriously pound someone with your revolver and still rely on your next round.

What he said ^

THIS X1000^

S&W - 340 M&P

I love my revolver, first gun I ever purchased, the only one I carry (for now), super fun to shoot and even more fun when I load the cylinder with .357
Some of my friends mistake it for a cell phone or keys when I test them to pick the correct pocket it's in.

Was at M&M gun shop this afternoon and checked out a Ruger Super Black Hawk 44 Mag 8" Blue Steel.

Tim

Last edited:
I hate starting threads but I'm looking into the LCR to carry, what's everyone's take on the 38spl vs 357? I'm leaning more toward the 38spl. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom