Revolvers - am I going backwards?

I hate starting threads but I'm looking into the LCR to carry, what's everyone's take on the 38spl vs 357? I'm leaning more toward the 38spl. Thanks.
I say 357 mag just for options on ammo.......you may not like shooting mag loads out of a little snub but the option is there. I have a river sp101 in 357 mag and love shooting magnum loads out if it.......its my edc

check out an sp101........little bigger.....in a good way. 357 mag is very manageable

Sorry, forgot to say I'm stubborn with gun weights. SP101 is pushing 25oz, that's even more than my SR9c and XDs, the LCR is like 15oz I believe. thanks for the advice though. Plus the grips on LCR are awesome.

Think of it this way with 357 you can shoot .38 at the range and load 357 in it when carrying. If you are ever in a situation where you have to defend your life your adrenaline is gonna be pumping so much you won't even notice the recoil of the 357 magnum.

Get the .357 why limit what you can shoot out of it.

I know. It makes sense, just was hard to find locally. But a shop near me has one. [banana]

Think of it this way with 357 you can shoot .38 at the range and load 357 in it when carrying. If you are ever in a situation where you have to defend your life your adrenaline is gonna be pumping so much you won't even notice the recoil of the 357 magnum.

Good point. And yep, other forums are telling me that the recoil for the hottest 357 isn't that bad. Considering it's a 16oz snub, that's impressive. Oh and I looked up the 38spl for comparison and it's only 13oz! Holy shit. But 16 is fine for me.

I have 2 different Smith Model 36's but they're heavy, so if I wanted heavy I'd just carry those.

Sorry, forgot to say I'm stubborn with gun weights. SP101 is pushing 25oz, that's even more than my SR9c and XDs, the LCR is like 15oz I believe. thanks for the advice though. Plus the grips on LCR are awesome.

Nothing against the LCR (and I owned one, and liked it) but why are you doing this? Have you carried a snub revolver before? If not, there's a hell of a learning curve associated with snubs.

-Mike

lots of people have had to take dirt naps because of a skilled shooter with a wheel gun.

Nothing against the LCR (and I owned one, and liked it) but why are you doing this? Have you carried a snub revolver before? If not, there's a hell of a learning curve associated with snubs.

-Mike

I want a lightweight revolver for the summer and as a backup. Learning curve? I've shot snubs since my teens, up to about 20ft I'm good but after that, nope.

Please Google "The Newhall Massacre" that' was exactly the training philosophy of the CHP and hundreds if not thousands of LE agencies. That was the watershed event that changed training doctrine forever. Train and practice with the ammo you may have fight with. Four highway patrolmen died in part because they qualified with .38 and went into a firefight with .357.

I want a lightweight revolver for the summer and as a backup. Learning curve? I've shot snubs since my teens, up to about 20ft I'm good but after that, nope.

You have an XDs. What's more "summer carry" than that? a PM9, maybe.

-Mike

Please Google "The Newhall Massacre" that' was exactly the training philosophy of the CHP and hundreds if not thousands of LE agencies. That was the watershed event that changed training doctrine forever. Train and practice with the ammo you may have fight with. Four highway patrolmen died in part because they qualified with .38 and went into a firefight with .357.

Funny I just read an article on this last week. I do carry a 357 mag revolver and only shoot 357 through it for practice.....158 grn full house mags only. But it is nice to have options for 38 spec.....you know.....with the current ammunition problems you don't know what you are going to be able to get ahold of.

Only wheel gun I have is .500 believe it or not . A 686 will be my second, just don't have the flow for one now or likely this year.

Back
Top Bottom