Revolutionary New Competition - American Marksman/Outdoor Channel

American Marksman is a new, nationwide amateur shooting competition! It is being owned and produced by The Outdoor Channel and will eventually lead into a TV show. The winner receives a grand prize of $50,000.

The way this works is you register at AmMarksman.com and participate at our local qualifying ranges anywhere between March 1st and May 31st. To qualify you will first compete in a modified postal match. After your course of fire is complete, you will be able to see where you rank instantly in your division and in your region. At the local level a shooter will choose either .22 pistol, rifle, or both and will get 2 chances at the course of fire per each firearm selected. For one firearm its $20 and for both it is only $35!

If you do well enough and progress into the Northeast regional competition you will get to shoot multiple different firearms and calibers, all of which WE will provide both the firearms and ammunition!

One of the major draws of this competition is that it is amateur only. No one who has ever been paid, sponsored, or finished in the top 10% in a national championship is eligible to participate. We know there are GREAT shooters all across America! However, they may not competitively shoot because they are taking care of kids, going to school, working full time, or all the above.

We have 4 divisions:
Men's open (17+)
Women's open (17+)
Youth (12-16)
Military/LEO

We do have ranges participating in Wallingford, CT, Granby and Plymouth, MA, Tiverton, RI, Hudson, NH, Rangeley, ME as well as throughout New York.

Our goal here at American Marksman is to introduce everyone to the joy of competition shooting. We've designed this to be a low barrier of entry which is both fun and challenging. Competition shooting is incredibly fun, but can be rather daunting or expensive to enter. If we can get more people involved in the sports we love and the life style we all immerse ourselves in, we all win!

Do any of you think you have what it takes to be the FIRST American Marksman?

I would be happy to answer any questions that you might have.

More information can be found at http://www.ammarksman.com !

For the purpose of this competition, do Rudy Project team members constitute professional/sponsored shooters?

For the purpose of this competition, do Rudy Project team members constitute professional/sponsored shooters?

Any sponsorship will make you ineligible to compete, including Rudy Project. We do encourage any ineligible shooters to bring their family and friends out to the range and coach them up so they have a chance to win $50k.

What type of course of fire? Simple bullseye? <snooze>

The course of fire is .22 rimfire rifle and/or pistol shooting at a target with five bullseyes on it. You will shoot three strings totaling 25 rounds, five rounds into each bullseye. The scoring is a time plus penalty format.

Please see our website for more details and an explanation of the scoring process. http://www.ammarksman.com/ContentDetail?content-id=313

. This competition is that it is amateur only. No one who has ever been paid, sponsored, or finished in the top 10% in a national championship is eligible to participate.

So this competition will decide who is the best of the not best?

Hi kids! Caleb, you know I respect your opinion and your knowledge — hell, you wrote for Marshal and I on DRTV back in the Back When — but I don’t think you see the vision we have here. You know my resume…I’ve been involved in the start-up of USPSA, IDPA and NSSF RIMFIRE CHALLENGE…I’ve shot pretty much every shooting sport, including obscure things like Summer Biathon and odd shotgun sports. My goal here, the goal of everyone at OUTDOOR CHANNEL and Kroenke Sports Entertainment, is to bring a huge number of new people into the shooting sports. I have been involved in American Marksman since Meeting 1, and I have been adamant that it would be a shooting completion…not a slingshot, throwing tomahawks or whatever crap TOP SHOT devolved into. Accordingly, I insisted on bring in Mark Passamaneck as the technical director…Mark and I worked together to create one of the first IDPA clubs in the beginning.

Mark is a top 3-Gun competitor, trainer and match director. He has shot USPSA, IDPA, RIMFIRE CHALLENGE, is the founder of Carbon Arms and a lifelong hunter. He has also served for 2 years as the match director of the NSSF RIMFIRE CHALLENGE World Championships. Frankly, he is one of the finest match directors/match designers in the world today.

While I appreciate the work it takes to succeed at a specific shooting discipline, shooters made the choice to shoot those disciples. My goal — my job, if you will — is to “grow the pie,” change the baseline for the shooting sports. My job is not to reward people who worked hard to succeed in sports in which there is no money.

After years of ratings, I am in the unique position of having a “data base” of what people are interested in watching. I can tell you categorically they are NOT interested in “professional” shooters. Not even a little tiny bit. In fact, with a few notable exceptions (ahem…the Miculek family), if I put a professional shooter on the screen, I can hear remotes clicking across the country.

The reason there is no money in “professional” shooting is there are not enough people in the sport to support a professional cadre in any true sense of the word. If you got into the shooting sports for any reasons other than fun, the camaraderie and the personal challenge, with the added bonus of learning a skill that could contribute to saving your life, you are in the wrong sport. IF you want more money in shooting, get more people in shooting…which is, parenthetically, what I’ve been trying to do for decades.

I sat down with Mike Foley, the new Prez of USPSA, this morning to see what we can do to move that sport forward. I am in regular contact with Joyce Wilson at IDPA and NSSF on the Rimfire. This season on SHOOTING GALLERY we’re featuring IDPA, 3-Gun and part of the Precision Rifle Series.

My producing partners Tim Cremin (GUN STORIES WITH JOE MANTEGNA; THE BEST DEFENSE) and John Carter ( SHOOTING GALLERY and SHOOTOUT LANE) and I will be in charge of the televised finale for AMERICAN MARKMAN…we have more experience than anyone else in the world on producing shooting sports programming. Period. It will be spectacular.

And it will be amatuer.

Your friend,

Michael B

Any sponsorship will make you ineligible to compete, including Rudy Project. We do encourage any ineligible shooters to bring their family and friends out to the range and coach them up so they have a chance to win $50k.

Any competition that bans Rudy shooters sounds like a winner to me. As the only un-sponsored GM in USPSA, I should be able to clean up [laugh]

Last edited:
Any competition that bans Rudy shooters sounds like a winner to me. As the only un-sponsored GM in USPSA, I should be able to clean up [laugh]

Unfortunately you're ineligible. American Marksman is looking for the shooter who sat on the couch eating Cheetos while you were dry firing.

Unfortunately, Grand Masters in USPSA are ineligible because they are considered professionals.

Please review our Eligibility rules here, to see who can and cannot compete in this competition. http://www.ammarksman.com/ContentDetail?content-id=313

This is what I have been telling the wife when I don't go to work...Honey I'm a professional shooter.

Anyways, I think the competition is a good thing. It is a good stepping stone for shooters that are nervous to try out other competitions with deeper talent pools. I'm fine with a competition that is just for beginners or non"professionals". The more people that shoot comps the better...unless its IDPA

Anyways, I think the competition is a good thing. It is a good stepping stone for shooters that are nervous to try out other competitions with deeper talent pools. I'm fine with a competition that is just for beginners or non"professionals". The more people that shoot comps the better...unless its IDPA

+1

I
This is what I have been telling the wife when I don't go to work...Honey I'm a professional shooter.

Well said, Mike!

The difference between amateurs and professionals:

Amateurs: "Ok - I have a .22 rifle and pistol in the StackOn. I'll give this match a go."

Professionals: "I wonder how much Olympic style 22's cost. And I'd probably need a couple of cases of real match ammo. Hmm?Maybe a shooting coat and a lesson of 2 from a good rimfire shooter. Hmm? 50k minus 10k investment- I'll give this match a go!"

Sounds like a viable concept, but if your are looking for spectator appeal, you need something more than paper punching.

Stop the hatin'

If it ain't for you, don't go.

If it gets more people shooting, it's good

No "Hate" here, just some honest advice. If you are looking for spectator appeal, you need to give the crowd more than paper punching. Bullseye shooting is a great sport demanding dedication and precision; my hat is off to these guys. Unfortunately a bullseye match has the same spectator appeal as watching paint dry. Reactive targets or static steel put on a much better show.

No "Hate" here, just some honest advice. If you are looking for spectator appeal, you need to give the crowd more than paper punching. Bullseye shooting is a great sport demanding dedication and precision; my hat is off to these guys. Unfortunately a bullseye match has the same spectator appeal as watching paint dry. Reactive targets or static steel put on a much better show.

The local qualifying stage is shooting .22s at paper targets only. Once we get to regional championships we will add 9mm, .223 and shotgun stages with more difficult courses of fire, including reactive and steel targets. Filming will start at the local level but most of the filming with take place at the regional championships and national championship.

The local qualifying stage is shooting .22s at paper targets only. Once we get to regional championships we will add 9mm, .223 and shotgun stages with more difficult courses of fire, including reactive and steel targets. Filming will start at the local level but most of the filming with take place at the regional championships and national championship.

Sounds good to me. We need more shooters. People like us, who hang out on forums like this, are a small part of the overall gun owning population. There are a lot of people out there with a 22 in the closet who might be "activated" by a competition like this. Imagine if every person with a gun in America was active in the shooting sports. Hell, imagine if half the people with guns in America did something, got their kids involved, etc. Gun sales have doubled since the beginning of Obama's presidency. That could get blown out of the water, and gun control could become a harder sell even in commie places like this.

Excellent!

For all of you who are reading this thread and thinking about signing up for the American Marksman competition, we would like to offer you a discount code during your registration!

Use 'AM5OFF' to receive $5 off of your registration. Originally, it only costs $20 for one firearm and $35 for two. With this code it will only cost $15 for one firearm and $30 for two.

Register today at www.AmMarksman.com

Back
Top Bottom