• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Competition question

I’m looking at getting into the tactical games and some of the equipment requirement are almost impossible to achieve in the People’s Republic of MA. Are there any waivers I can apply for to have competition guns?

There are no waivers, just risk tolerance

Short of post ban “standard cap” mags, the rest is legal to own/use. People routinely switch out guns/gear.

Found some people selling stuff in the classifieds.

Though not on my list, lots of people are shooting the sig x5 legion in uspsa/Idpa.

I’m looking at getting into the tactical games and some of the equipment requirement are almost impossible to achieve in the People’s Republic of MA. Are there any waivers I can apply for to have competition guns?
What type of “Tactical games” and comp guns you looking at?

If by " tactical games " you mean USPSA and/or IDPA, then both offer divisions where fairly stock pistols and legally crippled magazines are utilized.

Easy peasy, lemon squeezy!

If by " tactical games " you mean USPSA and/or IDPA, then both offer divisions where fairly stock pistols and legally crippled magazines are utilized.

Easy peasy, lemon squeezy!
Tactical games is different than both. Home - The Tactical Games
I assume the OP doesn't have the gear for 3 gun and hasn't shot 3gun or IDPA/USPSA. Don't know what's preventing them from obtaining a pistol and rifle for tactical games.
And there is a competition roster.

Tactical games is different than both. Home - The Tactical Games
I assume the OP doesn't have the gear for 3 gun and hasn't shot 3gun or IDPA/USPSA. Don't know what's preventing them from obtaining a pistol and rifle for tactical games.
And there is a competition roster.

If he is interested in 3-gun or pistol + rifle 2-gun, he can use pre-ban 20-round rifle mags and still be a pretty good competitor.

I think you misspelled pre-ban 30-round rifle mags

No, I didn't. He'd be fine with 20s. If he can get 30s, that's even better, but 30s aren't necessary. What's necessary is being able to make hits with a rifle. The rifle stages here in New England 3-gun or 2-gun are typically shorter range, max 300 (600 if he's shooting Pemi, but that's abnormal) and are usually under 20 rifle rounds per stage.

The last 3-gun match I shot this past May had a rifle round count of 50 rounds and I didn't shoot anything close to that.

30 Round pre bans are what I use in 3-gun. Can’t even think of one shooter I’ve seen using 20’s.

Some 10 round ones as that’s all they had.

30’s make a nice monopod 😜

Or, just buy a bipod.

Before today I'm pretty sure nobody ever said "just get 20 round mags for 3gun, you'll be fine"

If he's a new to 3-gun, or new to competition in general, he's likely not going to be scoring in the top percentiles on day one. Or, even year one or year two of a full season. If he's got 20s, even just two of them, he'd likely be able to complete a match here at a local club in New England, assuming the local match isn't something like a long range match at Pemi or Aiming for Zero at Pioneer Sportsmen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Or, just buy a bipod.

If he's a new to 3-gun, or new to competition in general, he's likely not going to be scoring in the top percentiles on day one. Or, even year one or year two of a full season. If he's got 20s, even just two of them, he'd likely be able to complete a match here at a local club in New England, assuming the local match isn't something like a long range match at Pemi or the big one at Pioneer Sportsmen.

There is no reason to limit yourself by buying 20’s. The 30’s are easier to find.

As to your point, if he’s a new shooter, he may need all the extra rounds. Why risk a reload??? Why?

Swapping mags under pressure costs time. Especially if you are new.

Also each stage/match is different (round count).

Yes, 20’s are better than 10’s but 30’s are better than both. And why lug around more gear?

My .02.

Or, just buy a bipod.

If he's a new to 3-gun, or new to competition in general, he's likely not going to be scoring in the top percentiles on day one. Or, even year one or year two of a full season. If he's got 20s, even just two of them, he'd likely be able to complete a match here at a local club in New England, assuming the local match isn't something like a long range match at Pemi or Aiming for Zero at Pioneer Sportsmen.
You're right. OP-just show up with a revolver and a musket.

There is no reason to limit yourself by buying 20’s. The 30’s are easier to find.

As to your point, if he’s a new shooter, he may need all the extra rounds. Why risk a reload??? Why?

Yes, 20’s are better than 10’s but 30’s are better than both. And why lug around more gear?

My .02.
Don't sell yourself short...it's at least worth .20cents

My .02.

You didn't read what I wrote. You're making shit up. I said if he has 20s, he'd be fine. Not, go buy a bunch of 20s.

Reading comprehension. It helps.

You didn't read what I wrote. You're making shit up. I said if he has 20s, he'd be fine. Not, go buy a bunch of 20s.

Reading comprehension. It helps.

Sigh. If you read the OP’s post you may see that he’s inferring he has NOTHING at all. Or at the very least has no mags that are over 10 rounds (or maybe Just post bans)

He’s asking if he can get a waiver (nope) so he has to get pre bans.

So if he had pre ban 20’s then he’d know more about how things work.

My 9mm factory brass round opinion.

ETA: heck. He might be wanting to shoot uspsa and wants to avoid the 10 round handicapped pistol divisions.

Sigh. If you read the OP’s post you may see that he’s inferring he has NOTHING at all. Or at the very least has no mags that are over 10 rounds (or maybe Just post bans)

He’s asking if he can get a waiver (nope) so he has to get pre bans.

So if he had pre ban 20’s then he’d know more about how things work.

My 9mm factory brass round opinion.

ETA: heck. He might be wanting to shoot uspsa and wants to avoid the 10 round handicapped pistol divisions.

He hasn't replied yet, so we don't know.

You're right. OP-just show up with a revolver and a musket.
And a blunderbuss if three gun.

Really? No recommendation for a Florbert? What is happening to NES?

I agree that in general the more rounds the better. I was just making a comment that there are special circumstances where the 20rd is more maneuverable.

He hasn't replied yet, so we don't know.

And he prob won’t now that we scared him off. Lol.

Yes. But reading his OP he is pretty clear he does not have 20’s.

That and I will always disagree on using low capacity mags whenever (legally) permissible. CCW, competition, antifa etc.

Really? No recommendation for a Florbert? What is happening to NES?

I agree that in general the more rounds the better. I was just making a comment that there are special circumstances where the 20rd is more maneuverable.

Oh. Forgot the Flobert. My bad.

Yeah. I’m genuinely getting another bunch (10) of 20 rounders. They are all but on the way. So agree they have a role.

Back
Top Bottom