Responses from MA Representatives and Senators

I believe Brownsberger co-sponsored Linsky's bill. I think you can put him in the in favor of gun control column. I think Linsky only got 2 or three co-sponsors for his bill in the Senate. 1 was Brownsberger, the other was Chang-Diaz. The 3rd was Katherine Clark, Clark is on several committees so if you live in her district keep calling.

Can you provide anything more concrete than that? A link or cite an actual conversation?

Emailed my local reps and received responses as well.

Rep Poirier

Thank you for taking your time to personally write to me regarding the matter of the new gun law proposals. Please know that you can rest assured that I will continue to do all that I can to fight against the Governor's proposal, as it doesn’t make too much sense.

The Legislature is looking towards enacting changes that would have positive effects on the Commonwealth, not necessarily “feel good” pieces. I have in fact recently co-sponsored several pieces of Rep. George Peterson’s legislation pertaining to gun issues. I will continue to fight for our Second Amendment rights. Please feel free to contact me again in the future with any other concerns you may have.

Sincerely,

Betty

Elizabeth A. Poirier
State Representative
14th Bristol District

Senator Ross

Thank you for taking the time to contact me regarding your opposition to the recently proposed updates to gun control laws in Massachusetts. I appreciate you sharing your thoughts and concerns with me on this very important matter.

Massachusetts already has among the strictest gun control laws in the United States. Among these are laws regulating licensing and possession, as well as highly restrictive bans on assault weapons, large capacity weapons and large capacity feeding devices. As it stands, the Commonwealth already bans the types of weapons and feeding devices that have been used in some of our country’s recent tragedies.

It is of the utmost importance to me that while preserving the safety of our communities, we also protect the rights granted to us as law-abiding citizens by our state and federal Constitutions. I assure you that I will keep your rights and concerns in mind as I address all proposed legislation related to gun control in Massachusetts.

Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. Please do not hesitate to contact me with any additional questions or concerns.

Sincerely,

Richard J. Ross
State Senator

I received this from Danielle Gregoire

"Thank you for contacting my office in opposition to several recently proposed pieces of gun legislation. It is always a pleasure to hear from residents of Marlborough, Northborough and Westborough.

As you are aware, the Governor’s recent proposal would put in place a variety of new requirements for current and future gun owners. I share your opinion that Massachusetts already has in place some of the strongest gun laws in our country. It is my feeling that an appropriate reaction to the most recent tragic events would be a greater enforcement of our existing laws and a deeper look into the underlying causes of these violent acts. Additionally, I want to remind you that the Governor’s bill as well as other similar pieces of legislation are merely proposals that could come before the Legislature for consideration but it is unlikely that they will reach us for a vote without considerable alteration.

Thank you again for sharing with me your thoughts. Should you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact my office.

Sincerely,
Danielle W. Gregoire"

Clark co-sponsored that POS Linsky's bill?

I got the same email response from her that sschevy posted, in which she stated

"That does not mean, however, that we should disregard the rights of responsible gun owners. Any legislation that I support will represent a reasonable, measured approach to the issues that have been highlighted by recent mass shootings."

What a bold faced liar. She's getting another email and letter from me.

I just double checked, Katherine Clark D Melrose did co-sponsor HD2678(Linsky)

Member Profile - Katherine Clark

Keep the letters going. Based on the Boston Herald article yesterday, every single one of the house and senate members are getting slammed by universal opposition to Patrick's tax plan, which is certainly a more existential issue for most politicians than gun control.

Keep calling and writing so that our voices aren't drowned out by the other angry slave rebellion.

I received this from Danielle Gregoire

"Thank you for contacting my office in opposition to several recently proposed pieces of gun legislation. It is always a pleasure to hear from residents of Marlborough, Northborough and Westborough.

As you are aware, the Governor’s recent proposal would put in place a variety of new requirements for current and future gun owners. I share your opinion that Massachusetts already has in place some of the strongest gun laws in our country. It is my feeling that an appropriate reaction to the most recent tragic events would be a greater enforcement of our existing laws and a deeper look into the underlying causes of these violent acts. Additionally, I want to remind you that the Governor’s bill as well as other similar pieces of legislation are merely proposals that could come before the Legislature for consideration but it is unlikely that they will reach us for a vote without considerable alteration.

Thank you again for sharing with me your thoughts. Should you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact my office.

Sincerely,
Danielle W. Gregoire"

havn't got mine yet, but it sounds somewhat positive

Reply from Niki Tsongas.

S&W now has a page like Ruger's for contacting reps.
Preserving America's Rights - Smith & Wesson

Thank you for contacting my office regarding gun control legislation. I appreciate your views and having the benefit of your opinion.
Every corner of America has been deeply affected by the tragic loss of so many lives in Newtown, Connecticut. We mourn for the enormity of grief and the inconsolable loss visited upon Newtown's families. The senseless attacks at Sandy Hook Elementary School, at a Sikh Temple in Oak Creek, Wisconsin, at a movie theater in Aurora, Colorado, and against Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords (D-AZ) and 18 others in Tucson raise compelling questions about the accessibility of violent weapons in our society. Members from both sides of the aisle have acknowledged that it is time to have a conversation about the accessibility of high capacity weapons in our country. I believe this conversation is long overdue and I am committed to moving forward on meaningful reform in the weeks and months ahead. That is why I recently spoke out on the Floor of the House of Representatives about the Newtown tragedy and the need for tighter gun control laws. Click on the image below to watch video of this speech.

To be clear, I believe that law abiding citizens have a constitutional right to own firearms, whether for sport or personal protection. The right of an individual to bear arms is clearly stated in the Second Amendment of our Constitution and has been repeatedly upheld by the Supreme Court. While I believe that the Constitution confers a right to own firearms, I also believe that our laws should be able to reasonably control gun manufacturing, sale, and usage to ensure that firearms are used safely and responsibly. To that end, I support reinstating the commonsense ban on high capacity magazines like those used in the Sandy Hook, Virginia Tech and Tucson shootings. I support reinstating the assault weapons ban that expired in 2004, and I am a cosponsor of the Large Capacity Ammunition Feeding Device Act (H.R. 138), introduced by Representative Carolyn McCarthy (D-NY), among other measures.
H.R. 138 would permanently prohibit for civilian use the transfer, possession, or import of high capacity ammunition feeding devices—defined as a magazine, belt, drum, feed strip, or similar device that has a capacity of to accept more than 10 rounds of ammunition—manufactured after the date of enactment of the bill. This targeted ban is intended, not to limit our right to bear arms, but to protect law enforcement and civilians by keeping these high capacity guns, which have virtually no sporting purpose, off the streets. I cosponsored this legislation in the 112[SUP]th[/SUP] Congress and my support continues in the 113[SUP]th[/SUP].

We know that our response to Newtown must not and cannot go the way of the many other senseless acts of violence we almost routinely witness. The tragedy in Newtown must be a call to action. President Obama said he would submit broad new gun control proposals no later than January, and I will be part of the growing coalition calling for real changes that will protect America’s families.
Thank you again for taking the time to be in touch. Please do not hesitate to contact my office in the future with questions or concerns.
Sincerely,

NT_Signature.jpg

Niki Tsongas
Member of Congress

Tsongas is anti-gun, anti-gun owner, anti-gun manufacturing, and anti-logic. She is all about "feelings" and not letting a crisis go to waste. Contacting her to ask her to support your civil rights regarding the 2nd Amendment is a waste of time.

You'd achieve more asking a pimp to support abstinence. If the word 'moonbat' was microstamped 1000 times on every fecal cell in my intestine it still would not come close to describing what an elitist clambag she is.

Mark Cusack's response:

Dear Joseph,

Thank you for contacting me regarding gun control and explaining your stance on this important issue. I appreciate that you are a responsible gun owner and understand that you feel like your rights are being infringed upon by the incomprehensible acts of few.

Like you, I believe that we need to do a better job of enforcing the current laws on the books. There are steps that we can take to improve public safety without stripping away 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] Amendment rights. One area where I think we can all agree is universal background checks for all gun purchases to close the loophole of purchasing guns from non-licensed vendors. Mandating universal background checks would help to keep firearms out of the hands of individuals that should not have them. I believe that this is a sensible proposal that a majority of the public would support.

Thank you again for your message and please do not hesitate to contact me with any other questions or concerns as we begin the hearing process on the Governor’s proposal.

All my best,
Mark

Mark Cusack
State Representative
5[SUP]th[/SUP] Norfolk District

Kenneth Gordon:

I thank you for reaching out to me relative to gun control legislation that has been introduced in the Massachusetts Legislature. I believe that it is my duty as the elected Representative for the people of the 21[SUP]st[/SUP] Middlesex district to listen to their concerns, and act accordingly.
I have heard the voices of the people in my district, and through those voices there permeates a concern over the uncertainty of future gun control laws in Massachusetts. It should be known that I am committed to keeping a vigilant eye on this issue.

Over the next session of the Massachusetts General Court, there will be hearings on bills aimed at the reduction of violence here in the Commonwealth. Through those hearings, professionals, as well as members of the general public, will be invited to testify relative to proposed legislation. This process will be concentrated and methodical, with members of the Legislature taking painstaking measures to present empirical evidence on how we can reduce violence here in the Commonwealth.

What you have seen put forth by legislators, or the Governor, today, is rarely what is enacted into law in the future. I plan to keep an open mind and consider this issue very thoroughly before making any definitive decisions.

I commend your initiative in taking the time to reach out to me. Thank you for your time, and if you have any further questions, please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,

Kenneth I. Gordon

Here's the nauseating reply I got from Congressman Keating:

Thank you for contacting me regarding gun control legislation. I appreciate hearing from you on this important issue, and I welcome the opportunity to respond to your concerns.

With the onset of the horrific tragedy in Newtown, Connecticut as well as the countless reports of gun violence that we find all too frequently in our local newspapers,*I want you to know that gun control and gun violence are issues that I care deeply about and have been at the forefront of my legislative portfolio since my time as a State Senator and as the Norfolk Country District Attorney.*

I often worked with victims groups and had discussions with survivors of such senseless violence as well as family members and parents of victims that were not so lucky. I have seen in concrete terms the indelible scars left from such violence, which led me to support banning assault weapons and armor-piercing bullets, among other issues as Senate Chairman for the Public Safety Committee and now, as a U.S. Congressman. As District Attorney, I aggressively enforced our gun laws.

I will continue to support responsible gun legislation in Congress. That is why*I voted against the*National Right to Carry Reciprocity Act, which would force states to recognize "concealed carry" licenses from other states.*For the safety of my constituents and their families, I also opposed the repeal of a current requirement to report a purchaser of ten or more weapons to the Justice Department. Further, I have cosponsored the*Large Capacity Ammunition Feeding Device Act, which would prohibit the trade and*manufacture of dangerous, high-capacity ammunition like that which was used in the horrifying attacks in Newtown, Connecticut,*Tuscon, Arizona and Aurora, Colorado. I have also worked to close what is known as the Fire Sale Loophole by cosponsoring legislation aimed to prevent anyone whose firearms license has been revoked or denied from transferring firearms into a personal collection or to an employee. Recently,*I joined my colleagues on the newly formed congressional Gun Violence Prevention Task Force that will look at ways Congress can help reduce gun violence in the U.S.

While I recognize the Constitutional right to bear arms, I also believe that in the interest of public safety there must be greater accountability for gun violence, which includes the elimination of easy access to high capacity ammunition and automatic weapons.

It is my opinion that the regulations currently in place in Massachusetts, which include a ban on assault weapons, serve as an example of what could be accomplished on the national level. Along with our strict gun control laws, we have the lowest rate of gun-related deaths per capita in the United States. I do not believe that that is a mere coincidence.

Again, thank you for contacting me. I have also enclosed a copy of a recent op-ed that appeared in local publications. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future regarding this or any other matter of concern. Additionally, you may find my website (The Online Office of Congressman Bill Keating) to be a useful resource for keeping up with my work in Washington and the Ninth District of Massachusetts. I look forward to hearing from you again.

Sincerely,

William R. Keating

Member of Congress

GUEST OPINION: We must prevent tragedy from striking again
By Bill Keating

U.S. Representative

Posted Dec 20, 2012 @ 05:31 PM

Few buildings provide more feelings of safety and security than fire houses. Merely driving by one evokes the thoughts of a community that is safe and strong and at the ready.

That is why last Friday's scene at the local firehouse in Newtown, Conn. is all the more haunting. Absolutely nothing could prepare that community – and our nation – for what had happened. As parents gathered at the fire station to wait for their children, I was told by someone there of both*the elation and relief of reunited families and the unthinkable grief of parents realizing their children would never be coming home again.

All week, the indelibly marked memories of crime scenes where children perished and informing parents of their child's death flooded back to me, vestiges of my time as a district attorney. Despite the anguish I felt for these families, I know that I could never satisfactorily comprehend the magnitude of their losses.

As I've driven by firehouses since last Friday, I realize that we, as a society, have taken common sense approaches to making our community safer. For example, we require smoke detectors, sprinklers, safer electrical standards and strict building codes. We do this to ensure that our children, our neighbors and our first responders are safer from fires, accidental and intentional. Why is it that we haven't made our communities safer for our families and our children and our police officers through common sense gun laws?

In Tucson, Ariz., 31 rounds were discharged in less than 45 seconds, killing six and wounding 13. In Aurora, Colo., where 12 people were killed and another 49 wounded, the gunman had magazines that allowed him to discharge upward of 60 rounds a minute. In Newtown, approximately 100 rounds were discharged in minutes.*

It did not take an army of people to cause this damage. These heinous crimes were, in each instance, perpetrated by a lone individual. What is the need in our everyday lives for assault clips or magazines capable of discharging a hundred rounds in mere seconds? The sad answer is none – other than to kill more people more quickly. That is why they are called assault rifles; there is no attempt to mask their purpose.

It is time for a national answer to this mass violence. We need to eliminate the ownership of assault weapons and military-style automatic machine guns beyond law enforcement and military use. And we need to prohibit assault clips and banana clips and multiple-round magazines. If we already place limits on the capacity of weapons used to hunt deer or ducks, why can't we do the same for guns that are used to harm people? Nothing in these proposals will limit a person's sport or hunting interests.

As a nation, we have been in this situation before. We have been here after Virginia Tech and Tucson and Aurora. I imagine that what makes Newtown more haunting to us all is the collective age of the majority of victims. They were babies. They couldn't have defended themselves, and they shouldn't have had to. Virginia Tech, Tucson and Aurora all should have mattered enough to*change the way we address guns in this country. We are past the time for "should have."* Last Friday must matter.

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited:
I just got this from Warren.
http://www.warren.senate.gov
Dear John,
Thank you for contacting me about gun control legislation.
Like millions of people across the country, I was heartbroken by the tragedy at Sandy Hook Elementary School last December. I do not know how to explain the deaths of twenty innocent children or why six heroic teachers had to make the ultimate sacrifice for their students.
I also grew up in family that used guns. My older brothers hunted, and I learned to shoot when I was in grade school. I have great respect for the role that hunting and guns play in many communities across the country and believe there is a place for responsible gun ownership in our society. But I also don't think anyone needs military-grade assault weapons to hunt or Rambo-style high capacity magazines to protect their family from intruders.
That's why I support a comprehensive set of reforms to reduce gun violence. I strongly support reauthorizing the expired ban on federal assault weapons and high capacity magazines. I also support closing the loopholes in federal background checks for gun shows and private sales. The President has put forward a slate of proposals to help address gun violence and gun safety, and I support those efforts as well.
There is no one way to stop gun violence, and there is certainly room for disagreement on the steps that we should take. But I hope that we can agree that we have a responsibility to ourselves and to our children to take the steps we can to stop the violence. I believe that a reauthorized assault weapons ban and the President's proposals represent a responsible path forward. I will keep your thoughts in mind as I continue to look for other steps we can take to protect our children and families from these terrible tragedies. I believe that is my responsibility as a United States Senator -- and as a mother and grandmother.

Sincerely,

Elizabeth Warren
United States Senator

Got the same Warren response tonite. I had to stop when I got to "Rambo". Real classy there, Warren, nothing like bringing a fictional straw man into the duscussion. Made me want to throw up, she's such a left wing stooge.

Funny thing is that the idiot actually picked a fictional American patriot that gets abused by the government and just wants to be left alone. Maybe ol spewing bull is more of a Rambo 2 & 3 fan though, huh?

Did she really write "Rambo style magazines". I can't believe the nitwits that run this country.

Exactly. It's offensive. We don't have to always play the tough-guy gun owner attitude. We are just regular citizens like everyone else, except we are armed. Generalizing us as Rambo is extremely ignorant and just plain retarded. She deserves to be raped by Somalian pirates.

Cusack Braintree response

Since everyone is posting their repsonses for their legislators here is what I got:

Thank you for contacting me regarding gun control and explaining your stance on this important issue. I appreciate that you are a responsible gun owner and understand that you feel like your rights are being infringed upon by the incomprehensible acts of few.

Like you, I believe that we need to do a better job of enforcing the current laws on the books. There are steps that we can take to improve public safety without stripping away 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] Amendment rights. One area where I think we can all agree is universal background checks for all gun purchases to close the loophole of purchasing guns from non-licensed vendors. Mandating universal background checks would help to keep firearms out of the hands of individuals that should not have them. I believe that this is a sensible proposal that a majority of the public would support.

Thank you again for your message and please do not hesitate to contact me with any other questions or concerns as we begin the hearing process on the Governor’s proposal.

All my best,
Mark

Mark Cusack
State Representative
5[SUP]th[/SUP] Norfolk District

I could be wrong (probably am) but I think that if we really hammer some of the lesser known reps we might be able move things in our favor. A few more votes and and there add up.

Got the same. These people love to ignore the fact that there was already a ban and sandy hook still happened.

Got the same Warren response tonite. I had to stop when I got to "Rambo". Real classy there, Warren, nothing like bringing a fictional straw man into the duscussion. Made me want to throw up, she's such a left wing stooge.

Funny thing is that the idiot actually picked a fictional American patriot that gets abused by the government and just wants to be left alone. Maybe ol spewing bull is more of a Rambo 2 & 3 fan though, huh?

You're kidding me right? did she really say Rambo-Style? I thought for sure Scott Brown would have won the election, at least we wouldn't have gotten an ignorant response like Warren.

Judging by you reaction, it appears that you think this is a favorable response... It is not. Criminal background checks for all firearm purchases is just another way of tracking and recording what us mere peons do.

Background checks for all transactions will do nothing to make anyone safer. Criminals will still steal, straw purchase, etc... to get guns. Us peons will be forced to FFL transfer every fire arm we own. Friend, Family, etc... it doesn't matter.

You (all of us) should hammer our reps for responses like that. There is no common sense being used here. Cusack's response is merely a knee jerk reaction to sheeple out cry and another step towards complete government control arms.

Not that i like universal checks and will rail against them, i am seeing less and less talk of mag and rifle bans. Even the anointed one is raking a tact i didn't expect. Keep fighting we can win this

Back
Top Bottom