• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Responses from MA Representatives and Senators

I've got the letter he wrote me scanned as a PDF. I'll get it up here soon.

Mark

Tarr is listed as opposed in the spreadsheet. Still true?

A few things people need to realize are that the legislators will continue to change their opinions on these. Also, the bills won't survive the committees as they are currently written. The four bills will probably get combined and normalized though this isn't necessarily good for us. We need to continue to hammer them.

Last edited:
I agree that the bills will change as will the positions of the legislators (hopefully in our direction). My intent with the "leaning opposed" and "leaning in favor" options was to help identify those who lacked conviction either way. A solid green should be someone who is strongly 2A and wouldn't support any additional gun laws.

As far as Tarr, unless somebody can cite a change in position, the sheet is up to date.

Got another response from Eileen Donoghue (Middlesex district).

[FONT=&quot]Dear Mr. Twisty,[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Thank you for your correspondence regarding the various gun reform proposals being discussed on Beacon Hill. I have had a number of constituents write to me on this issue; some wrote about reforms in general, others specifically about the Governor’s legislation, and some about Representative Linksy’s bill. I appreciate you taking the time to contact my office regarding this particular matter and sharing your concerns with me. In the interest of being clear, I wanted to provide you with my thoughts on this issue and these bills.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]We all share a common goal of preventing gun tragedies, tragedies that have become all too familiar in recent years with Newtown, Aurora, Fort Hood and others. As my colleagues and I move forward this session, we will be taking a close look at gun control with a closer look at how it relates to mental health issues. Massachusetts does have some of the strictest laws relating to guns in the nation; we also have some of the best schools in the country, but that doesn’t mean that we sit back and rest on our laurels. If there was not room for improvement in our existing laws, there would be little purpose for a legislature.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]These tragedies have started a conversation about what is and what isn’t working in terms of our gun laws. There have been some valid arguments from gun owners, gun collectors, police chiefs, and other advocates. I have no desire to punish our law-abiding gun owners who are doing everything by the book. I do think that we are lacking sufficient mental health screenings for gun licenses; this is compounded by the fact that we do not have enough resources for people suffering from mental illness. I also believe that our police chiefs should have the same discretion for FID cards as they do for a license to carry, to me this is a common sense change.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I am studying the details of the numerous proposals that have been filed, and will not make any rash decisions in this area. I understand that you are hoping to hear my opinion on these matters, but I refuse to make a hasty decision without first understanding all of the arguments that are to be made during this legislative session. I do however, promise to keep you informed as these proposals develop and are taken under consideration.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Again, thank you for taking the time to contact me. Should you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact my office at (617) 722-1630.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Sincerely,[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Eileen M. Donoghue[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]State Senator[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]First Middlesex District[/FONT]

Not totally sure which way she will ultimately go. I know that she has instroduced a bill to increase the penalties for the illegal possession of a firearm. She has worked with Linsky on this bill, which scares me.......a bit.

GOAL link.
Bills Currently Filed at MA State House

MA Legislature link.
Bill S.1131

I have a suggestion: add a column with each politician's most recent NRA rating. It would allow us to make some form of educated guess about the way an 'unknown' candidate is going to vote, and we'd be able to compare with the scores of politicians who have stated their intentions with their scores as well. Just a thought.

I have a suggestion: add a column with each politician's most recent NRA rating. It would allow us to make some form of educated guess about the way an 'unknown' candidate is going to vote, and we'd be able to compare with the scores of politicians who have stated their intentions with their scores as well. Just a thought.

Does the NRA rate state reps? I thought only GOAL did that, and (as noted in this thread) it has become unreliable in the current climate.

- - - Updated - - -

... there would be little purpose for a legislature.

NOW they may be starting to get it!!

... I do think that we are lacking sufficient mental health screenings for gun licenses;

This is just bad... easily leads to psych evals for all seeking the "privilege" of possessing a firearm, like they do in Germany and Austria

... I also believe that our police chiefs should have the same discretion for FID cards as they do for a license to carry, to me this is a common sense change.
aaaand another big, stinky turd... I think considering her "non-committal" would be overly charitable if she considers the most abused and irregular part of our current LTC laws to be "common sense".

I do give her credit for giving the appearance of at least trying to think about this stuff, and for sending what looks like a personal note in response.

From Jim McGovern recently downgraded to a GOAL F rating:

Thank you for contacting me to express your views on gun safety legislation. This is an issue that continues to gain national attention in light of recent devastating tragedies and will continue to provoke strong sentiments on all sides of the issue.

I believe that the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution protects a citizen's right to own a firearm. However, I also believe very strongly that the founding fathers purposely left the Amendment ambiguous to ensure that elected officials maintained the power to interpret its meaning based on the ever-changing framework of American society. States have the right and responsibility to enact and enforce sensible gun control laws, and I'm proud that Massachusetts is a leader in gun violence prevention.

We must do our best to ensure that current laws are vigorously enforced, and I believe we should also continue working to strengthen laws to prevent gun violence. Additionally, we must work to increase access to and strengthen mental health care. The goal is not to prevent law-abiding citizens from possessing firearms, but to make sure guns do not fall into the wrong hands.

I appreciate hearing your thoughts on gun related laws and legislation. Please don't hesitate to contact me in the future regarding these or any other issues.

"I also believe that our police chiefs should have the same discretion for FID cards as they do for a license to carry, to me this is a common sense change."

Eileen M. Donoghue should be impeached. She essentially wants our civil rights issue by consent of a police chief.

How ****ing orwellian.

From Jim McGovern recently downgraded to a GOAL F rating:

Thank you for contacting me to express your views on gun safety legislation. This is an issue that continues to gain national attention in light of recent devastating tragedies and will continue to provoke strong sentiments on all sides of the issue.

I believe that the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution protects a citizen's right to own a firearm. However, I also believe very strongly that the founding fathers purposely left the Amendment ambiguous to ensure that elected officials maintained the power to interpret its meaning based on the ever-changing framework of American society. States have the right and responsibility to enact and enforce sensible gun control laws, and I'm proud that Massachusetts is a leader in gun violence prevention.

We must do our best to ensure that current laws are vigorously enforced, and I believe we should also continue working to strengthen laws to prevent gun violence. Additionally, we must work to increase access to and strengthen mental health care. The goal is not to prevent law-abiding citizens from possessing firearms, but to make sure guns do not fall into the wrong hands.

I appreciate hearing your thoughts on gun related laws and legislation. Please don't hesitate to contact me in the future regarding these or any other issues.

That is the most eff-tarded interpretation of the founders intent that I have ever heard.

I have looked at most of the proposed legislation. It's a flat out joke in regard to it's end goal of preventing gun crime.

Has anyone noticed if AR's appear to be 'safe' thus far in the current legislation, and by safe I mean still available for sale? I have seen punishments for crimes go up with AR's used, banning transfer, etc. but what I have NOT seen and hope we don't see is the change to the evil 'one-feature' test which would effectively kill all AR's (pistol grip would doom them).

All the legislation seems to retain the current definition for 'assault' weapon (i.e. the federal definition from the expired AWB ). New York switched to the one feature test, and it looks like CT is trying to do it now as well.

At the end of January, I sent a letter to Senator Joan Lovely asking her to take a position against the current flurry of gun bills. My appeal was based on the ineffectiveness and costs, both real and intangible, of the proposed legislation.

Today I received her non-response.

She sent a list of the pending bills and committee assignments.
There was no indication of any stance, positive or negative.

She didn't even acknowledge that I had expressed an opinion.
I am not encouraged.

At the end of January, I sent a letter to Senator Joan Lovely asking her to take a position against the current flurry of gun bills. My appeal was based on the ineffectiveness and costs, both real and intangible, of the proposed legislation.

I am not encouraged.
Just respond that you see that she does not take her position seriously, so you will donate and work actively to find her replacement in the upcoming election cycle.

I am not encouraged.

I believe she is looking for your input on each Bill.

How can you ask her to Vote Yes or No on any Bill unless you read it ?

Senator Lovely has a long history of giving genuine and honest thought to every proposal. Of all the people representing you, she is the most likely to respond positively to reasoned input.

Last edited:
I believe she is looking for your input on each Bill.
How can you ask her to Vote Yes or No on any Bill unless you read it ?
Senator Lovely has a long history of giving genuine and honest thought to every proposal. Of all the people representing you, she is the most likely to respond positively to reasoned input.

The list that was enclosed with the letter included 20 of the House bills and none of the Senate bills.
So the response was careless put together, probably by a staffer.

Here is my original letter, which I admit was rather generic. But I believe that my position was clear.
I intentionally steered clear of 2A issues, concentrating on points that I thought more acceptable to a Democrat.

LetterToSenatorLovely.jpg

The list that was enclosed with the letter included 20 of the House bills and none of the Senate bills.
So the response was careless put together, probably by a staffer.

Here is my original letter, which I admit was rather generic. But I believe that my position was clear.
I intentionally steered clear of 2A issues, concentrating on points that I thought more acceptable to a Democrat.

Nice letter. I can assure you Senator Lovely is not a knee-jerk anti-2A person.

I actually received the same correspondence from the Senator that you did, in response to a similar letter I wrote.

I am planning on pulling up each Bill and responding with my opinions on each.

I have written many letters to politicians, and never received a list of actual pending Bills from any of them.

I interpret her response as a real attempt to get reasoned opinions from her constituents.

Nice letter. I can assure you Senator Lovely is not a knee-jerk anti-2A person.
I actually received the same correspondence from the Senator that you did, in response to a similar letter I wrote.
I am planning on pulling up each Bill and responding with my opinions on each.
I have written many letters to politicians, and never received a list of actual pending Bills from any of them.
I interpret her response as a real attempt to get reasoned opinions from her constituents.

I'll back off on my discouraged tone and take your advice.
However, I think I'll confine my comments to just a couple of Senate bills.

For everyone that lives in Peabody: Please remember to vote for Leah Cole TODAY (4/2). She is running for state representative and she is on our side. Also, please note that David Gravel, another candidate, has informed me that he supports the assault weapons ban and background checks.

Back
Top Bottom