• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Renewed my non-res CT license today...what a pleasant experience

My CT non-res license was set to expire in a couple of weeks. Since I procrastinated with the renewal though the mail, I had to do take care of it in person. So today I drove down to Middletown to the Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection (no appointment necessary). The guy handling the process (not sure if he was a LEO) was extremely friendly and pleasant. He made me feel like he was glad to see me. He took my money, ran a quick background check and handed me a brand new license. The entire renewal process took maybe 10 minutes. [grin]

I still cannot believe the licensing shit we have to put up with in Mass. [frown]

My CT non-res license was set to expire in a couple of weeks. Since I procrastinated with the renewal though the mail, I had to do take care of it in person. So today I drove down to Middletown to the Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection (no appointment necessary). The guy handling the process (not sure if he was a LEO) was extremely friendly and pleasant. He made me feel like he was glad to see me. He took my money, ran a quick background check and handed me a brand new license. The entire renewal process took maybe 10 minutes. [grin]

I still cannot believe the licensing shit we have to put up with in Mass. [frown]

That's great to hear. I really have to get off my butt and get one - especially since I live 10 minutes over the border and end up in CT quite often.

I renewed mind by mail a couple weeks ago. I had it back in less than 7 days, and it showed up at my house the same day they cashed the check...so they approved it, printed it, and mailed it before they even bothered to make sure my check was good. [laugh]

Hey, you were literally 2 minutes down the street from my work. [smile]

DPS is one of the best run .gov offices I've dealt with. They are always well mannered and helpful. Basically the exact opposite of going to the DMV.

I did mine through the mail the first time so I am really not sure. Here is the number to the licensing bureau: 860-685-8494. Give them a call and I am sure they will tell you.

Thanks for posting that number. I'm going to give them a call to see how the process works, and get it rolling.

The guy handling the process (not sure if he was a LEO) was extremely friendly and pleasant. He made me feel like he was glad to see me. He took my money, ran a quick background check and handed me a brand new license. The entire renewal process took maybe 10 minutes. [grin]

I went today to renew my resident permit, and it must have been the same guy. He was humming a happy little tune, smiling, joking. I swear to god at one point he said "lock and load". There was a line with around 10 people waiting . It was easy as can be, I handed him my driver license, and the expired permit, he probably checked to make sure I didn't acquire a record lately. $70 , new picture and I was on my way.
ETA: And there was a bake sale going on in the lobby, and I got a couple of chocolate chip cookies with oreos in the middle.

Last edited:
I went today to renew my resident permit, and it must have been the same guy. He was humming a happy little tune, smiling, joking. I swear to god at one point he said "lock and load". There was a line with around 10 people waiting . It was easy as can be, I handed him my driver license, and the expired permit, he probably checked to make sure I didn't acquire a record lately. $70 , new picture and I was on my way.
ETA: And there was a bake sale going on in the lobby, and I got a couple of chocolate chip cookies with oreos in the middle.

Yeah, it probably was the same guy. When the time came for my photo he screamed VOGUE! and struck a pose like Madonna. It freaking cracked me up and that's when he took the photo. So now I have this shit eating grin on my license.

I need to look into this, it is ridiculous that one CCW permit doesn't cover you for New England. I am 20mins from CT and work in RI 20mins away as well, and I can't carry in either!

. . . I drove down to Middletown to the Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection (no appointment necessary). The guy handling the process (not sure if he was a LEO) was extremely friendly and pleasant. He made me feel like he was glad to see me. [frown]

When I applied for my first CT Out-Of-State Pistol Permit I also just drove down there to 1111 Country Club Road in Middletown. What a joy it was to go there in person!

The CT application's cumbersome because it has to be signed before a notary public at two different parts and because you need to bring three separate money orders with you. Then there are the two fingerprint cards (one for the State of CT and the other for the FBI). Also, you have to provide a copy of your Birth Certificate and NRA Basic Pistol certificate.

I decided to drive down and get my fingerprints done right there, and it was so easy. As a courtesy, the license people in the Permit Department (located across the hall from the Fingerprint lab) told met to wait a sec. They had a lady named Rose peruse my initial application to make sure everything was in order. In other words, they saved me time and worry. Then Rose just said they'd be sending me the application within the 8 week period allowed under the statute.

Turns out CT sent me the Out-Of-State Permit within TWO -- not EIGHT -- weeks.

And LadySmith lived happily ever after.

The End.

What is the cost of the initial CT Non-Resident permit?

Does it cover CCW?

How many years is it issued for?

Thanks, DJ

It is a "Permit to carry pistols or revolvers." It doesn't specify how, and open or concealed is legal. However, I would proceed cautiously if you are open carrying, people have been arrested when someone complains. You can beat it in court, but as they say, "You can beat the rap but you can't beat the ride." :/

What is the cost of the initial CT Non-Resident permit?

When I did mine it was the following:

Application - $70.00;

CT Fingerprint Processing - $50.00;

FBI Fingerprint Processing - $19.25; and

Fingerprinting at Department of Public Safety - $15.00.

TOTAL - $154.25.

NOTE: I heard from a friend that the cost of the FBI Fingerprint processing recently was REDUCED to $16.50. The feds reduced a fee. I think it's Obama's way to keep piling on the debt and continue to destroy this country's economy.

Back
Top Bottom