• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Red dot, 3 moa vs 6 moa on a handgun

chrbla2000

NES Member
Hi All,

Thinking about getting a red dot like a Vortex Venom or maybe a Burris FastFire for one of my handguns. My initial thought was the smaller dot would provide for better accuracy (assuming I'm up tot the task), but I've been reading that for a handgun you should go with 6 moa vs 3.

Do any of you have experience with this and have a recommendation? Also open to suggestions on hardware, Vortex vs. Burris vs. <insert brand here>.

I shoot mostly at an indoor range at 50 feet if it makes a difference.

Thanks,

-chris

I think it depends on the type of shooting you do. With handgun I don't tend to focus on tight small groups. Most of my shooting is meant to be on target fast with a hit to the kill zone. I am not a "bullseye" type shooter. For me I prefer the larger dot for handgun. I have a Vortex Viper (6moa) on my G17 MOS. I have the Venom (3moa) on my Tavor though as I like the smaller dot on a rifle. It's all personal preference.

I have a 92FS that I'd like to tighten up with. So I guess 6 moa for the 92FS makes better sense, it's not a tack driver heh.

Any thoughts on hardware or are they all about the same?

Thanks,

-chris

I like 6 moa on a pistol. However i also sometimes like using RMR’s on a rifle in lieu of a typical red dot, in which case 3moa for sure. For me the burris fastfire 3 and vortex venom have been fantastic.

Maybe swing by "Bullseye Night" at the local club and see what size those guys are using. You'll probably end up looking thru like 10 guns, and get way more advice than you bargained for.

Probably best to try and check things out indoors @ 50 if that's where you intend to use it. Your perception of dot size and clarity will change depending on high you have it turned up and ambient light.

I have an 8 moa Fastfire 3 on a 9mm Commander. For steel and action sports the dot is none too big. Could be a tad brighter in full sun, but very acceptable. 1 year of fairly heavy use. Reliability so far has not been an issue, and still on the original battery.

Just for reference, @ 50 feet I think 3 moa is about 1/2 inch and 8 moa is just under 1 1/2 inch.

Maybe swing by "Bullseye Night" at the local club and see what size those guys are using. You'll probably end up looking thru like 10 guns, and get way more advice than you bargained for.

Probably best to try and check things out indoors @ 50 if that's where you intend to use it. Your perception of dot size and clarity will change depending on high you have it turned up and ambient light.

I have an 8 moa Fastfire 3 on a 9mm Commander. For steel and action sports the dot is none too big. Could be a tad brighter in full sun, but very acceptable. 1 year of fairly heavy use. Reliability so far has not been an issue, and still on the original battery.

Just for reference, @ 50 feet I think 3 moa is about 1/2 inch and 8 moa is just under 1 1/2 inch.

Very fond of Aimpoint for a bullseye gun. It's all I ever owned on 3 guns. You are right in that a almost 1.5" dot when shooting 1.5" groups doesn't work very well.

You are right in that a almost 1.5" dot when shooting 1.5" groups doesn't work very well.

I'm kind of with Mike above. Hold on the top or bottom of the dot. I have a C-more slide ride on a frame mount with an 8 moa module in it on a different gun, really nice round clear very distinct dot, and would be somewhat disappointed with 1.5 inch groups at 50 feet.

Were I to try "Bullseye" however I would definitely start with whatever the better "Bullseye" shooters were using. Most of them seem to get a little annoyed when you cut loose with a comped 38 super indoors anyways.:D

Last edited:
There is good advice in this thread. Overall, I would agree that the best dot size is dependent on the intended usage. However, I have often had the thought that I wanted a smaller dot, especially for precision shots at distance. I personally have never thought that I wanted a larger dot in order to make a certain shot easier.

~3 MOA is the best for practical handguns and general purpose short range shooting(rifles, etc)
I have four Trijicon RMR's ( 3 R06=3.25 , 1 R07=6.0) and two Sig Romeo 1's (Gen 1&2=3 MOA)

The 6 MOA RMR is a Type 1 that I got for wicked deal as a clearance item. The dot is enormous and I find it impractical and annoying beyond 15M. I use it as a kick around dot that I stick on both handguns and rifles before getting a permanent sight. I reckon that It would be suitable for a shotgun or something.

I am a big fan of the durability and controls of the RMR's, but the Sig's have a really nice big glass (although they easily collect smudges and dirt with handling and manipulation).

Last edited:
I'm kind of with Mike above. Hold on the top or bottom of the dot. I have a C-more slide ride on a frame mount with an 8 moa module in it on a different gun, really nice round clear very distinct dot, and would be somewhat disappointed with 1.5 inch groups at 50 feet.
C-More sells replaceable dot modules of various MOAs for the slide ride.

Back
Top Bottom