• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Rant: Moonbat Judge

I didn't read all this. But are you smart or stupid for driving off a lot with a new car and taking an immediate depreciation hit?

lol Cars are an expense. Anyone who deludes themselves otherwise is stupid. The level to which someone is willing to pay that expense is not necessarily a measure of intelligence but of spending and expense tolerance.

Not only that but circumstances can dictate your decision one way or the other. Last year I bought a brand new Silverado crew cab. Our Maxda CX-9 was old and certainly wasn't going to pull our horse trailer and my '97 F-250 is not reliable enough anymore. We looked for over a year for a used truck that could double as our family car (4 doors), get up our driveway in the winter (4wd) and pull a horse trailer. We didn't have that much cash all at once so financing was necessary. The used trucks we saw that fit our monthly payment all had over 100k miles and no warranty. The new truck had much better financing available then the used trucks so it had lower monthly payments and had a warranty. Yes, we will be paying for the new truck longer but it starts at zero miles instead of over 100k. When I crunched the numbers the used trucks and the new truck ended up with the same miles on them at the end of their loans. So in my case the cheaper used trucks were not cheaper at all and made no sense for us.

Not only that but circumstances can dictate your decision one way or the other. Last year I bought a brand new Silverado crew cab. Our Maxda CX-9 was old and certainly wasn't going to pull our horse trailer and my '97 F-250 is not reliable enough anymore. We looked for over a year for a used truck that could double as our family car (4 doors), get up our driveway in the winter (4wd) and pull a horse trailer. We didn't have that much cash all at once so financing was necessary. The used trucks we saw that fit our monthly payment all had over 100k miles and no warranty. The new truck had much better financing available then the used trucks so it had lower monthly payments and had a warranty. Yes, we will be paying for the new truck longer but it starts at zero miles instead of over 100k. When I crunched the numbers the used trucks and the new truck ended up with the same miles on them at the end of their loans. So in my case the cheaper used trucks were not cheaper at all and made no sense for us.

Very often people fail to identify the cost of repairs and amortize that over the life of the vehicle. Once you compare total cost of ownership of a used car with repairs to a new car with warranty, the depreciation hit isn't quite as egregious. Don't get me wrong, it still takes an average of three years to be in the black on a new car.

Think about that: Half of Cali's population has an IQ under 95.

"A diagnosis of intellectual disability is in part based on the results of IQ testing. Borderline intellectual functioning is a categorization where a person has below average cognitive ability (an IQ of 71–85), but the deficit is not as severe as intellectual disability (70 or below)."

I read somewhere that IQ tests are racist because they are culturally biased. So a Hispanic raised in Mexico and tested here might test "slow" but if tested in their own context would test normal or even smarter than the average bear.

CA is flooded with undocumented aliens that are discriminated against by the test, so it drags down the average for the state?

Nanh. I like the blonde explanation better.

Very often people fail to identify the cost of repairs and amortize that over the life of the vehicle. Once you compare total cost of ownership of a used car with repairs to a new car with warranty, the depreciation hit isn't quite as egregious. Don't get me wrong, it still takes an average of three years to be in the black on a new car.

CPO is a really good option if you can find what you want. My daughter bought a CPO Subaru legacy with 4000 miles on it. It comes with a 6year 100K drive train warranty and for 700 you could bump the warranty to bumper to bumper. She got a better warranty on that used car than we did on a new one. The car was a dealer loaner.

The IQ test is a measure of problem solving, intuition, and cognitive ability. Saying that different ethnicities are discriminated against based on cognitive function is silly. It's not like it asks you how to park a car; there are shape tests and picture test and such that have no cultural bias. How does a pile of blocks have cultural bias?

The IQ test is a measure of problem solving, intuition, and cognitive ability. Saying that different ethnicities are discriminated against based on cognitive function is silly. It's not like it asks you how to park a car; there are shape tests and picture test and such that have no cultural bias. How does a pile of blocks have cultural bias?

Adobe. You can do anything with adobe. Here we have to remember to flip our crown molding upside down to do a miter.

ETA: No, not the computer thing Adobe. The mud thing.

Speed limits do not reflect the reality that cars are far, far more capable now than ever before. I accelerate for many off-ramps and 100mph cruising is incredibly easy and comfortable (as it should be, consider my car is limited to 155mph.

You must be so proud.

Adobe. You can do anything with adobe. Here we have to remember to flip our crown molding upside down to do a miter.

ETA: No, not the computer thing Adobe. The mud thing.

There's your problem: Crown molding should be coped not mitered....

(well inside corners anyways)

I have done it both ways and if I do them right they both come out ok for me. The last one I did two weeks ago in my kitchen I mitered and I am very happy with how it came out. That said, it was a pretty clean corner, not too far out of square and no weird angles. When corners are more squirrelly I seem to have much better luck with coping. I am not a carpenter though, just a do it yourselfer so my opinion is somewhat unqualified.

Miter pulls apart with temp expansion & contraction over time. Just sayin, coping may be more work and more of an art but its worth the time.

Holy thread drift batman!

Miter pulls apart with temp expansion & contraction over time. Just sayin, coping may be more work and more of an art but its worth the time.

Holy thread drift batman!

LOL, yeah, seriously off topic! Good tip, I will lean more toward coping in the future. So far the ones I have mitered in the past haven't had any reall issues with opening up. Hopefully this one won't either.

Back to the regularly scheduled programming.

There's your problem: Crown molding should be coped not mitered....

(well inside corners anyways)

I miter the end and then cope it. It gives me a line to follow. Sometime I run a pencil line along where I'll be cutting if my eyes are tired or the lighting's bad.

Wrt the minivan vs an old Porsche: I think it was EvilDragon who was telling me that his minivan had a V6 Hemi with like 300 hp or something silly like that.

The speed discussion is particularly relevant because in most states (MA included), the speed limit of a given road is generally determined by the average speed of vehicles on that road.

Not disagreeing, but why do you think that? I would have assumed that speed limits are based on the ability to safely operate a vehicle on a given road.

Just sayin: If the sign says 45, YES you are a dick by driving 35-40 and YES you should not be surprised when you are tailgated by a Prius. When you are driving 65 in the middle lane on the Pike, you WILL be passed on the right and you probably will get buzzed. Don't be stupid: Drive safely. Driving safely means KEEPING WITH THE FLOW OF TRAFFIC.

Stupidity and willful ignorance causes more accidents and road rage than speeding.

So I called Mom and told her she was a dick... and driving safely means being able to control your vehicle. Should a trucker hauling 80,000lbs speed up to keep with the flow?

I love tailgaters. Nothing makes me drive slower than tailgaters. And what really pisses them off is not even looking over when they pass and throw the one finger salute.

I thought we came back on topic pretty well. Or were you more interested in the carpentry conversation? Driving .. speed limits ... that's about as well as we can do around here.

Didn't the original topic have something to do with a gun and a judges decision?
Now we're talking about cutting grass with an angle grinder.
[rofl]

Epic thread drift: From road rage to driving habits to speed limits to molding back to grandma's driving and on to lawnmowers.

Did I miss anything?

Cpher passed away? I didn't see anything about it on here. Last I had heard he was getting divorced and looking for help to move things.
May he rest in peace.

Wow yeah now I realize it wasn't Cpher it was the lawyer that had an office in Framingham. I can't believe I can't remember his name...Darius?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom