questioned for "expired LTC"?

Somewhat relevant, anybody know about expired C&R or is that a federal and ATF thing? and whats process for reapplying if you let yours lapse?

C&R is a federal thing and I believe, but could be wrong, that you have to go through like it's a new application instead of a renewal.

Somewhat relevant, anybody know about expired C&R or is that a federal and ATF thing? and whats process for reapplying if you let yours lapse?

Once it expires you can trash your BB, you have to file a full application form and you get issued a new number.

PDs that are prone to issue machine gun licenses often rely on the S&R as proof of bona fide collector status.

Yes, but in the context of this post, he is asking what they can look up on you roadside if you are stopped. So no, I wasn't wrong. Please try to keep up.

You still have a 30 day window to have your red R fixed, and you're not supposed to drive on it. But its not like the inspection station impounds your car.
Roll the dice and take your chances.

From the Interwebs...

How long can you drive with a rejection sticker in Massachusetts?
Most of the time, 60 days. But, this depends on the reason behind the rejection sticker. If your car failed because of an emissions related issue, you can still drive the car for 60 days and then get the car re-inspected for free.

The rejection sticker for emissions reasons has a black “R.”

If the car failed for safety reasons, you are not supposed to drive it at all afterwards. You will receive a red “R” sticker letting authorities know the car failed for safety reasons and is not supposed to be on the road.

The rejection sticker for safety reasons has a red “R.” The safest thing to do in this case is have the car towed to your local mechanic and have the issue fixed.

Guess I was fortunate when a vehicle of mine failed for numerous reasons and the shop still gave me a Black "R" sticker so I could still drive it until I could get it fixed.

Probable cause allows the police to "dig in" to your business.

Anything that breaks the law will cause added suspicion, and more scrutiny.

Don't give them the opportunity.

Are you sure about that R thing? I was told by the inspection guy that I have 30 days to get re-inspected and in fact I used to drive a lot (I drove lots of shitty cars) with R sticker and never got a ticket. Cops do tend to stop you a lot when you got an R sticker, but I never got a ticket though. The reason for stopping is always "you have failed sticker".

Not supposed to drive a car with a red r at all until it is repaired and you have proof. You have 60 days to get a re-inspection for free. After 60 days you will need to pay again.

From the Interwebs...

Guess I was fortunate when a vehicle of mine failed for numerous reasons and the shop still gave me a Black "R" sticker so I could still drive it until I could get it fixed.

The inspection machine dictates the emissions part of the pass or fail. The inspector controls the safety part. It is sort of a broken system on teh safety stuff. If i fail you for tires and you come back 3 hours later with new tires but your windshield is now broken, i do not have the option to fail you. i can only re-inspect what the vehicle failed for.

I know of at least one station that did impound a car with bad ball joints. Said it was unsafe to drive, and when the owner attempted to leave, they would not return the keys as the station said that would make them liable for any accidents. The local PD was called, and they sided with the station under their reading of the law, and the key had to be handed to a tow driver to bring to a repair shop of the car owner's choosing.

The law says safety defects must be repaired immediately.
They can not do this. Some stations have tried to pressure people into doing repairs on the spot. It is illegal. The station has no authority to keep your car. They have no liability as they didn't fix it, just inspected it.

If the car is operated or parked on a public way, expired inspection is a surchargeable offense. So is driving with the red R inspection reject sticker (you're supposed to be towed away).

parked is not driving is. The surcharge system tags the driver of a vehicle, not the owner. A moving violation issues by the PD is on a moving violation form. Parking and other tickets that are left on the window are issued to the vehicle. There is no one to surcharge.

I guess, one more tidbit on this whole thing: when the cop approached me, he parked his cruiser right behind my rear bumper without me able to pull forward (wall) ... so technically I wasn't "free to go" and again, the inspection came after he told me that he ran my plate and came up with expired LTC, that's the weird part.

MA laws makes all private property that is open to public (parking lots) a public way, aka they can and will enforce their laws there.

Why won't they investigate an accident in a mall parking lot then?
4837784+_adf5c32c6fd58bd145eea3ee53a582f1.jpg

parked is not driving is. The surcharge system tags the driver of a vehicle, not the owner. A moving violation issues by the PD is on a moving violation form. Parking and other tickets that are left on the window are issued to the vehicle. There is no one to surcharge.

The car must have been driven on a public way to be parked on a public way so likely you'll get a ticket and it'll go to the owner of the vehicle. Same way speed cameras and red light cameras work, you can go fight it in court with proof of who the driver was.

The car must have been driven on a public way to be parked on a public way so likely you'll get a ticket and it'll go to the owner of the vehicle. Same way speed cameras and red light cameras work, you can go fight it in court with proof of who the driver was.
Nope, they don't have the same fines and they are regulated under completely different CMR's. The registry, who handles most moving violations and reports them to the insurance companies does not even see parking tickets unless they go unpaid and are used aas a reason not to renew your license or registration.
I believe the cmr for the parking tickets is 702. To lazy to look it up.

I'm generally pro-cop, but that dude was a biatch to sit around and stalk you like that. maybe he gets off by scaring people.

Depending on the state, you may need only raise reasonable doubt you were the driver; not prove someone else is responsible.

What's the rules on LTC identification for peons, do you have to present that on demand?

1. Commonwealth v. Haskell, 438 Mass. 790, 793 (2003) says: A suspect who had been subjected to a custodial interrogation when a police officer asked him whether he had a license to carry firearms, without first advising him of his Miranda rights, was entitled to suppression of his answer where, although the police officer need not have administered Miranda warnings before demanding that the suspect in custody produce one of the documents listed in G. L. c. 140, s. 129C (here, a firearms license), the officer's asking the suspect whether he had such a document constituted a request for a testimonial communication that entitled the suspect to the protections of the Fifth Amendment to the United States Constitution including the right to refuse to answer.

2. If you can't produce the LTC they know you have, they are allowed to confiscate "said" gun. (Note that the law doesn't actually "say" what gun, but let that go). However, you can get "said" gun back immediately at the police station when you find the LTC. The law doesn't provide for confiscating more than one gun at a time. If you're not packing, they're allowed to confiscate the null set of guns, however. But you're allowed to demand the null set of guns be returned to you at the police station.

The interesting thing is, asking to see your LTC and asking whether or not you have one are very different questions from a constitutional standpoint. One is a demand to see a license they (presumably) know you have. The other is asking you to provide information that could be incriminating and therefore could have 5th amendment implications.
Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

20 years ago, Howie Carr would say "GUILTY!" on-air, regarding the perps.....after only seeing what their last names were and "drawing conclusions" based on that alone.

Does he do that anymore? Is that still allowed?

(I've not listened to his show in a loooong time.....)
That's not at all what it means now.
Now it refers to the defendant's appearance:
30719562-protest-arm-in-barrel-milton-1-15.jpg
5220.jpg

Last edited:
This including it is not a surchargeable violation

When I moved into Mass from RI 14 years ago I had a three year old inspection sticker violation from RI. I was forced to pay the surcharge three years in arrears and three going forward. Lots of people don't know it's a moving violation. I let them know at every opportunity.

Sounds like he was trying to turn a simple infraction into a felony...

I've seen NH cops, local and state police, walk up and down a road at an intersection with stop lights checking for expired registration and inspection stickers while the cars are stopped and with a radio call to their buddy just up the road so they can be pulled over and ticketed. I used to see this at the toll booths too.

I've seen NH cops, local and state police, walk up and down a road at an intersection with stop lights checking for expired registration and inspection stickers while the cars are stopped and with a radio call to their buddy just up the road so they can be pulled over and ticketed. I used to see this at the toll booths too.
I have expired inspection. Luckily, I rarely go on any highways. Town cops know me well, and could give a shit. I did Pittsburg, twin mntn, Littleton and colebrook, pulling trailer, expired sticker. Maybe I shouldn’t make this public....

Back
Top Bottom