questioned for "expired LTC"?

Boris

Son of Kalashnikov
NES Member
I pull up to a gas station for some nicotine and see a Framingham patrol car. My car inspection is a little expired, windshield a little cracked and exhaust a little absent, so once I complete my purchase I just sit in the car and wait for him to leave. Well, he isn't leaving, he is waiting for me to leave, he even parked a little closer to the exit from the gas station. I catch up on NES reading for a while, finally he comes over: "hey how you doing, I just ran your plate and system showed that you have an expired LTC ..." Well, I renewed last year, almost a year ago. I did showed him my LTC and he was surprised that "system" wasn't updated. He looked around with a flashlight, I got a lecture on expired inspection which wasn't ticketable since I wasn't on the road way and we were cool.

Question is, is "expired LTC in the system" a valid basis for questioning, because while being parked I can only think about being charged with loitering at the worst and unless I carry or possess, I don't even need to renew my LTC, but unless I'm printing how does the cop know that I carry? What's the rules on LTC identification for peons, do you have to present that on demand? If patrol car has magic system that ties my DL with LTC, there is no point in showing that.

Patrol cars in most every town have computer systems that link right in to all that. They can pull up a list of all the FA-10ed firearms tied to you with a couple clicks.

wow, smart of you to figure that one out. He would have jacked you up real good!

I pull up to a gas station for some nicotine and see a Framingham patrol car. My car inspection is a little expired, windshield a little cracked and exhaust a little absent, so once I complete my purchase I just sit in the car and wait for him to leave. Well, he isn't leaving, he is waiting for me to leave, he even parked a little closer to the exit from the gas station. I catch up on NES reading for a while, finally he comes over: "hey how you doing, I just ran your plate and system showed that you have an expired LTC ..." Well, I renewed last year, almost a year ago. I did showed him my LTC and he was surprised that "system" wasn't updated. He looked around with a flashlight, I got a lecture on expired inspection which wasn't ticketable since I wasn't on the road way and we were cool.

Question is, is "expired LTC in the system" a valid basis for questioning, because while being parked I can only think about being charged with loitering at the worst and unless I carry or possess, I don't even need to renew my LTC, but unless I'm printing how does the cop know that I carry? What's the rules on LTC identification for peons, do you have to present that on demand? If patrol car has magic system that ties my DL with LTC, there is no point in showing that.

Flashlight fishing because of your heads up display on the inspection issues. Although, if the judiciary was working properly, an expired LTC [STRIKE=.]is not[/STRIKE] should not be per se enough to justify a stop/search of you for a gun absent any evidence a gun is on you. The car inspection would not be either unless you pulled out. But the car inspection could likely be made copacetic (via tow, inventory and officer safety, etc;) once you got underway and he stopped you for the car inspection.

Last edited:

IANAL but I'd say that an expired LTC is not a reason for probable cause to stop and question someone. Of course they couldn't care less about abusing their authority and your rights. I just received my latest renewal so this is interesting to me.

I know meter maids can write tickets for expired inspection stickers. I don't believe you need to be moving to be ticketed. You might've lucked out because you were on private property but I think he gave you a break by not giving you a ticket.

Is there a time limit on how long you can stay in a parking lot after you make a purchase? What if you just wanted to have a smoke and make a phone call? You know, so you are not driving while talking. Or you wanted to text someone. It's safer to do it while parked and out of the way of traffic.

Flashlight fishing because of your heads up display on the inspection issues. Although, if the judiciary was working properly, an expired LTC [STRIKE=.]is not[/STRIKE] should not be per se enough to justify a stop/search of you for a gun absent any evidence a gun is on you. The car inspection would not be either unless you pulled out. But the car inspection could likely be made copacetic (via tow, inventory and officer safety, etc;) once you got underway and he stopped you for the car inspection.

You're not getting towed for expired inspection. You very may well get towed for expired registration, but they are two very different things.

2 years ago my daughter was parked in a parking lot in Freetown ma, her inspection sticker had expired a few weeks earlier. Well she had a ticket on her windshield for expired sticker, so maybe you guys can go tell them over in Freetown about how they cant ticket unless it is on the roadway.

If you are parked in Boston at a meter, the meter enforcement folks will ticket you for an expired sticker.

Ask me how I know.

i got hit with a surcharge.....it was a moving violation. one more reason why i can't wait to move.

+1 , My daughter also got a surcharge for an expired sticker.

I guess an unsafe car (can't pass inspection) is more likely to be in accident or some BS like that. Just another reason why i extremely dislike insurance companies.

Is there a time limit on how long you can stay in a parking lot after you make a purchase? What if you just wanted to have a smoke and make a phone call? You know, so you are not driving while talking. Or you wanted to text someone. It's safer to do it while parked and out of the way of traffic.

I don't know how people get ticketed in a private parking lot, that makes no sense. It would be the same as cop ticketing a car in my driveway and in the back of my property. As long as I'm a customer at the lot, I can wait until guy's shift ends.

About 6 or 7 month back got a ticket in the mai for an expired inspection sticker with surcharges
mysteriously issued around the south station while I was on the Cape driving a different vehicle all together.
At the time of the offense I was on the Cape in the class getting my CPO. I also had a paid parking receipt for a completely different vehicle in hand.
Make a long story short - waisted most af the day in the Boston court where the state cop was lying to me and the judge about 30 similar offenses. He got information from the system and never pooled anyone over and got he's ass handed to him by the judge with all 30 offenses dismissed.

Last edited:
+1 , My daughter also got a surcharge for an expired sticker.

I guess an unsafe car (can't pass inspection) is more likely to be in accident or some BS like that. Just another reason why i extremely dislike insurance companies.

expired sticker doesn't mean that it's unsafe or can't pass inspection. In the past I contested a ticket like that and won while supplying evidence that I inspected it shortly after.

I know meter maids can write tickets for expired inspection stickers. I don't believe you need to be moving to be ticketed. You might've lucked out because you were on private property but I think he gave you a break by not giving you a ticket.
This is correct. The only difference if you are parked is it is not a moving violation and wont impact your insurance. it is issued like any parking ticket.

I don't know how people get ticketed in a private parking lot, that makes no sense. It would be the same as cop ticketing a car in my driveway and in the back of my property. As long as I'm a customer at the lot, I can wait until guy's shift ends.

In my daughters situation she was in a gas station parking lot, went into Subway to get a sandwich came out and found her trophy on the windshield. FREETOWN POLICE WILL TICKET YOU FOR ANYTHING THEY CAN!

I got ticketed for expired inspection while my car was sitting in the Ashland MBTA Commuter Rail parking lot. By the MBTA police. Cost me $50.

I'm hearing more and more about cops pulling people over and/or questioning them about their LTC's and asking if they have guns on them.

IANAL but I'd say that an expired LTC is not a reason for probable cause to stop and question someone. Of course they couldn't care less about abusing their authority and your rights. I just received my latest renewal so this is interesting to me.

It is probable cause for nothing, but it gives him a semi legitimate sounding excuse to start talking to see if the OP is stupid. He can talk to whoever he wants, just like anyone else (ask all the cute girls I talked to as a young single man). And of course, the OP has no requirement to say a word to the cop (just like those girls I talked to).
Not a cop fan by any means, but I think the cop in this case is OK. Especially since he let you go with the expired sticker.

It's called boredom. Had nothing better to be doing. Up side is they did not shot you. But seriously, not sure if any law would forbid them from just randomly snooping. But sounds like they may have been a little concerned of the condition of you ride and decided to take a look. Again boredom.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom