questioned for "expired LTC"?

I have expired inspection. Luckily, I rarely go on any highways. Town cops know me well, and could give a shit. I did Pittsburg, twin mntn, Littleton and colebrook, pulling trailer, expired sticker. Maybe I shouldn’t make this public....
Hate to tell you...one place I saw this was in Twin Mt (my home town) at the rt3/rt302 intersection about 5 years ago. Carroll police and Troop F were involved. Be careful up there.

You're not getting towed for expired inspection. You very may well get towed for expired registration, but they are two very different things.
My parked vehicle was towed overnight from a public street for expired inspection sticker. They can do whatever they want in this loony, lefty state.

You're not getting towed for expired inspection. You very may well get towed for expired registration, but they are two very different things.
Now, years ago in MA, I was 2 days late in renewing my registration. The wife was pulled over driving it. Marlborough cop allowed her to pull into a parking lot rather than towing it. I was luckily right behind her. I asked the cop why. He said because the registration had expired, my insurance was also expired. And therefore, it was illegal to drive it.

Fast forward to moving to NC. I get a letter from MA saying that they were revoking my registration because I had changed my address. I hadn’t yet gotten a new NC registration.

So, I called Geico, my car insurance company. They said I was still insured regardless of my registration situation. If I caused an accident, I was covered under the policy.

Which begs the question. Towing an expired registration in MA is because the insurance doesn’t cover an expired registration seems to be a false statement.

Whatever, don’t need to deal with the idiot laws in MA anymore.

And bravo to the guy who resurrected a 3 year old thread! I think it’s awesome that old threads with good info in them get resurrected.

Now, years ago in MA, I was 2 days late in renewing my registration. The wife was pulled over driving it. Marlborough cop allowed her to pull into a parking lot rather than towing it. I was luckily right behind her. I asked the cop why. He said because the registration had expired, my insurance was also expired. And therefore, it was illegal to drive it.

Fast forward to moving to NC. I get a letter from MA saying that they were revoking my registration because I had changed my address. I hadn’t yet gotten a new NC registration.

So, I called Geico, my car insurance company. They said I was still insured regardless of my registration situation. If I caused an accident, I was covered under the policy.

Which begs the question. Towing an expired registration in MA is because the insurance doesn’t cover an expired registration seems to be a false statement.

The cop was probably just repeating his usual sermon because 999 out of 1000 drivers he pulls over with an invalid reg, their reg is invalid because the insurance got
canceled.
(this kills your registration after X days after your policy cancels). The inverse situation- just having an expired reg only, is going to be more
rare. Only a few people screw that up compared to letting their insurance lapse.

Regardless of insurance, in MA a car with an invalid reg (for any reason, expiration, whatever) is a "do not drive, no not pass go, do not collect 200, get towed now" type offense, unless the LEO is nice enough to let you renew it on the side of the road from a cell phone or something. (assuming your reg isn't dead because of an insurance cancel, of course... )

ETA: Under MGL unregistered and uninsured are two different crimes. I know because I've been cited for both of them in the now-distant past.... [rofl]

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom