• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Purchasing and Storage

I haven't seen this issue addressed anywhere yet, my apologies if I've missed something. I'm wondering if anyone can clarify the laws related to purchasing and storing handguns, and if they necessarily have to be the same person.

I'm currently in college, living on campus. I have my LTC Class A. I obviously cannot keep a gun on campus. However, I have a friend, who also has a Class A, who could store a gun for me. Is it legal for him to store the gun, even though he technically does not own it? Again, he has the Class A, so it's something he would be allowed to possess, but the fact that he didn't purchase it makes it seem legally dubious to me.

Can anybody provide any insight into whether or not it would be legal for me to buy it, and someone else (properly licensed) to store it? Thanks in advance.

Gary,
If it were me, I would make sure that he has a gun vault or security chest to store the gun. This will reduce your liability in a case where an "unauthorized" person might have access to the area where the gun will be stored. Unless you have given him permission to use the gun, I would also use a good quallity trigger lock, and keep the key off the premises. You just can't be too carefull when another person is involved. People change, friendships end and you don't ever know everything about others. A well thought out plan is better than a sincere apology.

Jack

I would also suggest that you write up an agreement and both sign it and date it. Among other things, the agreement should stipulate that he is merely storing the guns for you and that you are not transferring ownership of the guns.

If dont need frequent access to your gun, you could always check with your local bank and see if they offer a small safe deposit box for rent. Kind of inconvenient, but another option.

Back
Top Bottom